550 litres water

deckhand

Featured Posts

I agree junior, I think it's outrageous the amount of water being wasted.. Err... Used. Nearly as bad as them that pull up to water points then proceed to wash their boat for half an hour with a hose pipe, it fair boils my piss. Also, dishwashers?

I'm genuinely amazed by the ammount of washing people on this thread seem to do. Granted I am the only one on my boat, but I visit the launderette a maximum of once every 10 days, and that's only because I run out of socks. Do you wear things only once then just chuck them in the laundry?

I have to say I was quite surprised too. We do have a little 3.5kg washing machine but that gets run once a week for 2 adults and sometimes twice if it's time to wash bed linen or towels. I think the washer uses about 40litres a wash.

I had this drummed into me by my mom:

Clean underwear every day.

Clean top half every other day (excluding jumpers and other things that go over the top of the first layer which last a week).

Clean bottom half every week.

Towels and bedlinen every 2 weeks.

I don't have scabies yet and I don't think I smell

blush.png

How things have changed in one lifetime. We used to have a bath once a week but I don't remember sharing water like some did. Clothes were worn till they got dirty and certainly weren't washed after every wearing. Indeed the clothes wouldn't have survived that treatment. We did wash every day, one bowl of water each and we now talk of economising!

We kept the coal in our bath.

I agree junior, I think it's outrageous the amount of water being wasted.. Err... Used. Nearly as bad as them that pull up to water points then proceed to wash their boat for half an hour with a hose pipe, it fair boils my piss. Also, dishwashers?

I have seen arguments in favour of dishwashers re. water usage Couldn't say if they are valid, though. I think they are stupid things, but many seem to like them.

I'm genuinely amazed by the ammount of washing people on this thread seem to do. Granted I am the only one on my boat, but I visit the launderette a maximum of once every 10 days, and that's only because I run out of socks. Do you wear things only once then just chuck them in the laundry?

buy more socks.

300l lasts a month. Teenage son's epic showers get that down to 2 weeks (but he's only on board half the time).

I do clothes washing elsewhere. I'm at work during the day and often out at nights too however.

Some of you folks are using a lot of water!

Nowt wrong with that I might if nearer a tap . . .

We kept the coal in our bath.

I have seen arguments in favour of dishwashers re. water usage Couldn't say if they are valid, though. I think they are stupid things, but many seem to like them.

We'll,all I can say is it works for us.

We simply fill the Dishwasher throughout the day,then flick it on at night,no constantly boiling kettles or using our precious hot water,we make our own fresh drinking water anyway,so its just easier,it probably uses the equivalent of 1 large bowl of water,to do the whole days dishes,& I can think of better things I could be doing than the washing up.

But each to there own.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I /we don't live aboard but we cruise extensively from Easter to the end of October. We do any washing about once a month in a dustbin and use a posser. It is a fallacy that you need to drink loads of water as you get almost enough from your food and I drink gallons of tea and beer. We wash up in a bucket, probably once a day if not less. Dish washers indeed, Bah humbug!

...buy some more socks.

I fill my tank every 2 months, never ran out yet. Shower daily and oodles of cups of tea and coffee.

...buy some more socks. I fill my tank every 2 months, never ran out yet. Shower daily and oodles of cups of tea and coffee.

It also takes months for your pump out tank to fill. I think they are one and the same tank, so you fill on the one hand, and empty on the other :-)

I have a reasonably modern washing machine, and I know just from looking at the tank (which is translucent, and shows me exactly what I have) that it uses much more than 26 litres a wash.

Are you sure that isn't a half load on some super-eco setting?

It is only a small 3.5kg Candy washing machine but the 26 litres comes from their spec.

Hi gang,

Two adults liveaboards,Tank capacity 625lts,Dishwasher goes on every night,Approx 6 showers a week between us,(slightly more in summer when both we & the dog have a deck rinse offs / showers after a swim),Washing Machine Approx 3 or 4 times a week,& the kettle is always on !.

Watermaker produces approx 150lts a day & is on approx 3 days a week ish.

We have never run out of water yet . & hope this gives a guide to the OP as to our water usage.

That is interesting, we don't have a dishwasher. What is a watermaker? how often do you fill your tank?

I /we don't live aboard but we cruise extensively from Easter to the end of October. We do any washing about once a month in a dustbin and use a posser. It is a fallacy that you need to drink loads of water as you get almost enough from your food and I drink gallons of tea and beer. We wash up in a bucket, probably once a day if not less. Dish washers indeed, Bah humbug!

Point of order what do think the main constituant of Tea and Beer is?......yes water so one way or another you are imbibing water, bit of a shock but there you go. LOL

Phil

Point of order what do think the main constituant of Tea and Beer is?......yes water so one way or another you are imbibing water, bit of a shock but there you go. LOL

Phil

smiley_offtopic.gif I suspect PB is pushing back at the popular health myth of 'drink eight glasses of water a day - and tea and coffee don't count'

Or whatever the latest number of glasses is. Nicely blown apart on the BBC recently

Richard

I prefer my water in beer

If you're talking about socks, pants and t-shirts then yes, I wear them for a day and then they go into the wash. I think that's pretty reasonable. Jumpers, fleece tops, jogging bottoms and jeans get washed after about a week's use.

I live alone and I do 1 or 2 washes a week, but my machine is only 3kg which is probably a third of the size of the smallest laundrette machine, so it's probably equivalent to you going to the laundry every 10 days.

300l tank. Showering every day (occasionally more than once) without economizing, I get 5-6 days out of it with also washing up once a day, kettle boiling, water for cooking etc. I do not drink the tank water, but the cats do!

If I Shower every day but turn the water off in the middle, I get 9 days out of it, 10 if I also fill a collapsible container and use that as the cold water for the sink.

I do my washing on land every 10-14 days. Not showering daily is not an option. :D

Our tank is around 500l and lasts about 4 days (3 on board). We run the washing machine at least once every other day.

It's the machine that uses the most water even on a 15min wash cycle.

Your 3.5 days seems about right.

C.

If you're talking about socks, pants and t-shirts then yes, I wear them for a day and then they go into the wash. I think that's pretty reasonable. Jumpers, fleece tops, jogging bottoms and jeans get washed after about a week's use.

I live alone and I do 1 or 2 washes a week, but my machine is only 3kg which is probably a third of the size of the smallest laundrette machine, so it's probably equivalent to you going to the laundry every 10 days.

Yes,Snap ish,,Apart from There are two of us,& a dog .So we do approx 4 washes a wk.

We have got the Candy 3.5kg mini washing Machine.

It's fine,but we have to do more loads, As well as the infrequent stuff like-,Dog bed,,Bed sheets,Duvet covers,Coats & Warps (when the wife is out) are all one load each. runs off Gen ,Inverter or mains just fine.

Had no problems to date,

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

We have been doing some measuring and monitoring over the last couple of days. We definitely were underestimating our usage of water. The washing machine does use a chunk and we were quite surprised at how much a relatively short shower uses too. Whilst we don't want to live our lives watching every drop, it has made us aware, which is a good thing. This has helped us get used to the water gauge as well. Its only a guide, but it is good to have.

Thanks for everyone's responses, they have helped us. wink.png)