Navigation lights and travelling in hours of darkness.

Simon clarke

Featured Posts

Hi ya Simon,

I think that depends where you cruise. If on most rivers, in Estuaries or at sea there's little restriction on night navigation whilst showing the appropriate lights for type of vessel.

However,I think it may be different on some canals & lakes.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

It depends where you are.

On most canals the only requirement is that you must show a white light forwards. Its size and power are not specified.

On most rivers, and the commercial canal, you must show full navigation lights. Some rivers have slightly different regulations (eg IIRC the tidal Thames allows you to have a shorter mast than would otherwise be required, so that you can pass under the bridges).

Some insurance companies, particularly for the insurance of hired boats, do not permit it

Apart from the obvious dangers of travelling in the dark, what is the legal position? Are there specific byelaws against this?

Against traveling in the dark?

Not as far as I know. Fly boats traveled 24/7 and there is no regulation preventing this now AFAIK. Showing lights in the dark is common sense but other will be able to say if there is a reg requiring it... I think there is a requirement to use a tunnel lamp in tunnels but that's all.

MtB

CRT (Boaters Handbook) says:
It’s best not to cruise in the dark. If you do, you must get information from
the navigation authority in charge of your waterway. The rules governing
navigation lights are quite complex. As a guide, at night and in poor
visibility, boats usually show:
White lights – front and back
Green light – right side
Red light – left side
As a result, if you see:
• A white light above a red one, it’s likely to be a boat crossing from your
right to the left side
• White above green is likely to be a boat crossing left to right
• White above green and red means the boat is coming towards you

• Unpowered boats may show a single all-round white light

It depends where you are.

On most canals the only requirement is that you must show a white light forwards. Its size and power are not specified.

But its height above the deck or gunwale is, though!.

Further pedant alert!

The bye-laws are specific that it is only narrow boats that can travel at night with just a simple white light......

(2) A power-driven vessel, being a narrow canal boat, under way

at night shall display in the forepart of the vessel, where it can

best be seen and at a height above the deck or gunwhale or not

less than one foot, a visible white light.

I'll not copy everything the bye laws say about boats that are not narrowboats, but if adhered to is is a lot more stringent.

Just a taster.....

(1) Subject as hereinafter provided, a power-driven vessel (other

than a narrow canal boat

) when under way at night shall carry –

(a) On or in front of the foremast, or if a vessel without a foremast

then in the forepart of the vessel, and in either case at a height

above the hull of not less than four feet, a visible white light so

constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the

horizon of twenty points on the compass (225°) so fixed as to

show the light ten points (112½°) on each side of the vessel that

is, from right ahead to two points (22½°) abaft the beam on either

side; and

(B) in addition to the above light, at her stern a visible white light

so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the

horizon of twelve points of the compass (135°) so fixed as to

show the light six points (67½°) from right astern on each side of

the vessel.

Seems perfect to me! Most modern wide-beam leisure boats would not fully meet the criteria, so should stay tied up, allowing sensible narrow boats to go night boating without bouncing off them!

Apart from the obvious dangers of travelling in the dark, what is the legal position? Are there specific byelaws against this?

What are these?

At this time of year we do most of our boating in the dark. The only issue we seem to have is avoiding sleeping swansblink.png

We've got navigation lights on the side of Piglet and until the other week we hadn't used them. That was until in Braunston tunnel a boat was coming towards me with theirs on and it was a lot easier to see where they were in relation to us as a lot of narrow boats seem to have their headlight fitted to one side or the other, so for Blisworth tunnel I turned ours on. Not sure if it helped anyone or not but it can't hurt.

Problem is that to meet Colregs,for most narrow boats,the lighting requirement is such that it is not practical.For instance,the size of port and starboard lights required would probably get knocked off on bridges. I suppose the small lights seen on most narrow boats are better than nothing. Where narrow boats have a stern light fitted,it is usualy so low as to be useless. I guess that none of this realy matters on a narrow canal. On a tidal waterway or commercial waterway you realy should not move at night unless you have made a serious effort to meet the regs.

Problem is that to meet Colregs,for most narrow boats,the lighting requirement is such that it is not practical.For instance,the size of port and starboard lights required would probably get knocked off on bridges. I suppose the small lights seen on most narrow boats are better than nothing. Where narrow boats have a stern light fitted,it is usualy so low as to be useless. I guess that none of this realy matters on a narrow canal. On a tidal waterway or commercial waterway you realy should not move at night unless you have made a serious effort to meet the regs.

It is now perfectly possible to buy compliant port/starboard lights, which are small enough to keep clear of bridges (I have just converted mine to them) and to have a relatively short temporary mast on the roof for the steaming light.

We've got navigation lights on the side of Piglet and until the other week we hadn't used them. That was until in Braunston tunnel a boat was coming towards me with theirs on and it was a lot easier to see where they were in relation to us as a lot of narrow boats seem to have their headlight fitted to one side or the other, so for Blisworth tunnel I turned ours on. Not sure if it helped anyone or not but it can't hurt.

It can be slightly confusing, though, if you have a white stern light in the same circuit as the navigation lights. Seeing a white light ahead implies there's an oncoming boat, and it's very perplexing to be waiting for a boat coming the other way that's not getting any closer!

What are these?

At this time of year we do most of our boating in the dark. The only issue we seem to have is avoiding sleeping swans:blink:

Locks, mostly. Cilling the boat, catching either end, or making a mistake with the paddles is, i think, more likely to happen in the dark. We too do a lot of boating in the dark, but there's very few locks around here. Doing the likes of the Grand Union in the dark would be more interesting- and would need a lot of care, but is obviously possible and enjoyable, the couple of times I've done it.

It can be slightly confusing, though, if you have a white stern light in the same circuit as the navigation lights. Seeing a white light ahead implies there's an oncoming boat, and it's very perplexing to be waiting for a boat coming the other way that's not getting any closer!

We haven't got a light on the stern so that's not so much of a problem. I do understand what you mean though, was convinced there was a boat coming the other way in Blisworth tunnel only it never did. Turned out to be a boat with a bright stern light.

After nearly running a boat down in murky Blisworth tunnel I now always show a white light at the rear. What difference does it make if you see a light in the distance that doesnt get closer?

You are so right DC, after all that is the whole point of a stern light.

Phil

I use navigation light in long tunnels, as well as a rear light and tunnel light, in the main because they are on the boat already and cost me a bloody fortune mad.gif to have them put back after they had been removed. The nav lights are quite useful giving a little light at the sides so you can see how close the tunnel wall is - handy in Blissworth's and Braunston's murky dark!! It also might help other boats to avoid me........................................

Edited by Water Rat.

If a boat has nav lights as well as a stern light, its obvious if you are coming up behind it - red will be on the left and green on the right.

Only if its navigation lights can actually be seen from directly behind, which often they can't, particularly if there is a powerful rear facing light too.

I dislike rear facing white lights in tunnels with a vengeance, and dearly, dearly wish people wouldn't do it.

Similarly those who feel the need for more than one powerful forward facing light on the front of their boat.

Keep it simple, people, then those of us who have cataracts, posterior vitreous detachment, and other conditions of the eye have a far better chance of seeing what is going on, and not misinterpreting a situation.

The port and starboard lights shouldn't be visible from behind

Ah!

I thought that might be the case, but the suggestion seemed to be otherwise!

The regulations (previously called COLREGS) state:

“Sidelights” means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from the right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. In a vessel of less than 20 metres in length the sidelights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centreline of the vessel

Interestingly although they specify the power of the side and stern lights (in terms of visible distance) they make no recommendation regarding their minimum height above either the deck or waterline; it is only the white forward-facing (masthead) light whose height is specified. This latter is the most problematical for narrowboats, since for a vessel over 20 metres in length the light must be 6 metres above the hull (defined as the highest continuous deck, which I think would therefore be the floor in most narrowboats). For a boat less than 65ft the minimum height is 2.5 metres above the gunwale which is rather more easily achievable - although not in a tunnel!

ETA: These regulations do not apply to canal boats on most canals.

Edited by Keeping Up

Port & Starboard Nav lights (if required) must be visible from right ahead to 22.5 degrees on the Port & Starboard side respectively. The stern light must be visible from right astern to 67.5 degrees on each side of the stern. Theses arcs of visibility are there to allow vessels to work out the aspect on one vessel to another when looking at risk of collision.

Howard

(Crossed with Keeping Up)

Edited by howardang