Sod anyone else

Tuscan

Featured Posts

The boat opposite where we are moored is still running his unsilenced generator on the bank at 2345 . May his sleep be filled with nightmares and his weed hatch leak !!

What a twatt !! trouble is there are more and more getting on the cut. Go over and dance on the pillocks roof with a pair of cloggs on.

Tim

• Greenie 1

Odd. When I grumbled on here about some prat moored next to me who started running his engine at 11.45pm I got snarled at for being a whinger. I noticed this year that the 8pm shutdown appears to now be 9pm at the earliest. I presume it's because more and more boats have so much electric gadgetry that they can't function without it. My own feeling is that if you want to live in a house, go and buy one and leave the rest of us in peace...

Sorry, but having had a kindly word with engine/generator outlaws and waterpoint hoggers, if they don't respond, I report them with name of boat, index number and location with times of nuisance etc to CRT. They seem grateful for the information and always promise action, which I think they may do too. But it isn't instant and I do understand their problems. As I understand they usually write to the perpetrator and arrange a visit from the local enforcement officer.

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock

Although I fully support the human rule of not inconveniencing someone moored near you, there could be legitimate reasons:

1. He's fallen asleep in front of the telly.

2. The washing machine is on a 3hr cycle.

3. The boat batteries are completely flat and they only got home at 7 and need a few hours recharging.

4. Your boat is painted a dark colour and they didnt see you.

Although I fully support the human rule of not inconveniencing someone moored near you, there could be legitimate reasons:

3. The boat batteries are completely flat and they only got home at 7 and need a few hours recharging.

Ok Dean.

1. Fair enough.

2. Start the machine before 4.00

3. Pop over and have a chat and explain. Eases the situation. It's different when you know the person a bit. Unless they are an arse in which case, you are quite at will to kick them up it. ?

4. No excuse. They should make sure. Someone may be just round the corner.

Steve P.

Ok Dean.

1. Fair enough.

2. Start the machine before 4.00

3. They should pop over and have a chat and explain. Eases the situation. It's different when you know the person a bit. Unless they are an arse in which case, you are quite at will to kick them up it. ? If you don't accept their (valid) reason, then it maybe you are just being arsey. Not you Dean, I mean the generic 'you'.

4. No excuse. They should make sure. Someone may be just round the corner.

Steve P.

I did fall asleep and awoke at 9.30pm to the sound of my engine running. I made abject apologies in the morning but they didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary.

I also have been annoyed by someone running their noisy generator in the late hours. I went round and knocked hard on the side of the boat and when a head appeared enquired if everything was all right as they still had their generator running. I didn't come across as aggressive so much as concerned for his well being and when he said he was fine I followed it up with a kindly request if he wouldn't minding turning it off then. It did end up ok, but at least I could still walk away rather than being thumped! And what if the person was in trouble, you could get a mention in despatches (otherwise known as NBW :) )

I would live with it for the one discretion. If you go and speak to them and they tell you where to get off and insult you then you won't sleep with anger.

Rather go see them in the morning telling them that they kept you awake and would they mind not running past normal times. If they tell you to get lost then, it's fine. You can then just say that you feel that they are being unreasonable and that you will report the matter.

CaRT are not the be all and end all just because you are on the cut. The local bobbies can also be informed.

If they were playing loud music at that time then it's not acceptable, I don't see the difference. Noise and anti social is noise and ant social.

I agree with Fudd, only one of these is a legitimate reason.

2,3,4 are not excuses for being a nuisance to others.

I would live with it for the one discretion. If you go and speak to them and they tell you where to get off and insult you then you won't sleep with anger.

Rather go see them in the morning telling them that they kept you awake and would they mind not running past normal times. If they tell you to get lost then, it's fine. You can then just say that you feel that they are being unreasonable and that you will report the matter.

CaRT are not the be all and end all just because you are on the cut. The local bobbies can also be informed.

If they were playing loud music at that time then it's not acceptable, I don't see the difference. Noise and anti social is noise and ant social.

As someone who used to work dealing with noise nuisance, in most areas it's not the police who deal with this, it's the local council. The legislation used to enforce is generally section 79/80 of the Environmental Protection Act. This act was clearly not written with boats in mind regarding noise as it only refers to 'noise emitted from premises' and 'noise...caused by a vehicle, equipment or machinery in the street'. This means that councils may be reluctant to take action depending on their interpretation of the word 'premises'.

This does seem to have become more of an issue this year we have noticed it as well.

Not sure of the reasoning behind it.

We dont tend to let it bother us though. At least an engine/gennie tends to be a constant noise which can be blocked out or ignored. Sometimes it just isnt worth the hassle of confrontation.

We moored near a couple on a widebeam who used to run their engine till late as well as most of the day! Whilst everyone else just complained or avoided mooring near them, I actually knocked on their boat. I asked if there was a problem and if I could help at all, helps to be "nosey" sometimes!

It turned out he had been ill for a while, their car had broke and they had no access to the internet and there 3 batteries were dead.

I gave them the number for alpha batteries who have always been helpful, I helped them get them delivered to their boat and a friend fitted them.

I had to smile when other people heard about this and thanked me for helping, it just seemed common sense and I am a great believer in what goes around. I also know some tw*ts who have no excuse......

• Greenie 4

Odd. When I grumbled on here about some prat moored next to me who started running his engine at 11.45pm I got snarled at for being a whinger. I noticed this year that the 8pm shutdown appears to now be 9pm at the earliest. I presume it's because more and more boats have so much electric gadgetry that they can't function without it. My own feeling is that if you want to live in a house, go and buy one and leave the rest of us in peace...

Well said that man and you as well James, got your unusually reasonable hat on ?

There is a large wide beam on the K&A, which runs it's water cooled genny,or engine, at all hours. The hum of that is bad enough, but the constant 'splash....splash' of the water cooled exhaust is incredibly irritating.

We used to have a boat behind us with raw water cooled air con. The first time we heard that running we thought he had a bilge water problemlaugh.png

There is a large wide beam on the K&A, which runs it's water cooled genny,or engine, at all hours. The hum of that is bad enough, but the constant 'splash....splash' of the water cooled exhaust is incredibly irritating.

That reminds me when we moored up at Lee Valley .... plastic tuppaware with engine running and going splash splash splash .... highly irritating

Politely knock on their roof and ask if they'd mind turning it off? Just a thought like..

Why should he have to? Its a very basic rule that has applied for many years and is easily complied with unless you think you are living in a house in which case sod off back to the house you are not wanted ( sorry about the pun ) on the waterways. Gennies are bad enough at any time and after 8 should simply never be heard.

Tim

• Greenie 2

The boat opposite where we are moored is still running his unsilenced generator on the bank at 2345 . May his sleep be filled with nightmares and his weed hatch leak !!

I remember you saying yesterday that you'd be in the MK area - where was this plonker?

Quite agree.

We have a couple of boating friends who have a raw water cooled generator and whenever we go cruising with them we ensure that we moor in front of their boat -the genny's situated at their stern-, otherwise once the generator's turned on the 'splash....splash' noise drives us mad, not to mention the scalding water exiting the exhaust onto the towpath!

It is from this experience that I insisted that our own water cooled generator was modified to incorporate a keel cooling facility together with my own sourced hospital silencer. People should consider other boaters and nearby houses if moored in urban areas.

Edited by Doorman