Tunnel thingies

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Suddenly find myself about to attempt the Worcester & Birmingham Canal single-handedly and, new to narrowboating, and trying to prepare for 'situations', these tunnel questions came to mind:

1) what happens if the headlight lamp blows? the most likely point would be when you switch it on before entering the tunnel (then you reverse and change the bulb assuming you have a spare)(borrowed boat) - but what if it just fizzles out or goes 'pop!' halfway through the tunnel?

2) what happens if the engine stops halfway through the tunnel? (and won't re-start turning the key)

3) do narrowboats have a rear lamp to warn traffic coming up behind? 4-way-flashers to warn of a hazard (??!!)

(Battery) torches may help, and a gas lantern (such as Camping Gaz)...

I would think a spare bulb would be of some use and some very bright torches for signaling. I would also learn Morse Code just in case you do need to signal. Most boaters and others know what S.O.S looks like. I think sounds in tunnels are magnified so shouting could also work.

I would have said that 1) and 3) are taken care of by a torch, the horn for warning other boats too.

For 2) you either wait for a boat, or leg or pole the boat out. A gas lantern is probably best avoided, you don't want to risk adding fire to your problems.

I would say:

1) Turn on most/all of the interior lights. They will be more use to you - in terms of knowing where you are - than a headlight pointing forward anyway. After all you know that the tunnel is pretty much dead straight. A torch is a good idea as well.

2) Check the weed hatch, then (unless you know how to bleed your engine which is the next most likely reason for a stall) start legging (or poling), or wait for someone to give you a tow.

3) I would estimate about 10% of narrowboats have a white (10 watt) light at the back. This is a good idea as it is surprisingly easy to run into a stationary boat in front of you - estimating distances can be tricky, and smoke/fumes/fog don't help.

(On our first boat (17" cruiser) we navigated through tunnels using a camping gaz light in the cabin, suspended from a bit of wood fixed across the hatch opening.... Very effective and did not dazzle the steerer)

(On our first boat (17" cruiser) we navigated through tunnels using a camping gaz light in the cabin, suspended from a bit of wood fixed across the hatch opening.... Very effective and did not dazzle the steerer)

Oh, how Health & Safety would have loved you!

1. Spare 'bulb' handy, always have a torch and or similar available.

I have a mag(netic) mount work light that plugs in to a local DIN socket. as mentioned if the boat has windows, not portholes, then the internal lights should always be on when going through a tunnel, it does give better orientation for the steerer.

2. Start poling or legging the boat out, as recently had to do.

3.Some do, some do not have a stern light but if internal lights on and back doors open then that is usually sufficient.

ps. gas flames are not allowed in tunnels.

Edited by bottle

I have a 12V hand held lamp on a cigarette lighter plug and long lead. It's kept in a locker right by the steerer and can be plugged in and used if the tunnel lamp fails, or if emergency lighting is needed for other reasons.

We have a white stern lamp on our navigation light circuit. I put this on so we can be easily seen by following boaters. It also casts light around the stern of our boat, and makes it far easier to see what you are doing as a steerer.

Knowing how to clear your prop and how to bleed your fuel system would probably allow you to restart a stalled engine in most events, as others have said.

Edited by trackman

While is is good to think ahead and have a torch ready just in case I would not start getting to worried about enither the tunnel lamp failing mid tunnel or the engine stopping mid tunnel. Of course these things do happen but very rarely. I would just relax and concentrate on steering through the tunnel without getting too worried about anything else. You would be very unlucky indeed if either of the two things that concern you happened.

It is a good idea to check your tunnel lamp is facing in the optimum direction before entering the tunnel (slightly upwards towards the ceiling but across towards the right a little so it does not blind oncoming boaters,)

If it is a bright sunny day and you have sun glasses (or reactolite glasses) remove them before entering the tunnel.

Should an emergency arise while in the tunnel - sound your horn, flash a torch or shout to any other boaters heading your way.

I would think that the first most people know of their tunnel light not working is when they are about 20 seconds into the tunnel and it is still dark!

That's one reason why I have my "headlight" at the back. (Also means I can point it to the right when passing oncoming boats, look into side shafts etc). I have now found a more elegant way of mounting it than is shown in this picture...

rear_spot.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

That's one reason why I have my "headlight" at the back. (Also means I can point it to the right when passing oncoming boats, look into side shafts etc). I have now found a more elegant way of mounting it than is shown in this picture...

rear_spot.jpg

I like how it is mounted. More portable that way. smile.png

Main thing is ,dont worry about problems that have not happened yet. On the other hand,am I right in remembering that a boat got stuck in Gosty Hill Tunnel for a couple of days. A car wheel and tyre jammed against the boat. Boater could not unjam. Mobile phone did not work/. Had to wait for another boat to come along,who phoned B.W., who eventualy managed to free it.

Had to stop in Standedge tunnel last year to replace my headlight - not just the bulb, but the whole thing, being a sealed beam car spotlight. Fortunately managed to get to one of the cross-adits which are lit by the shadowing vehicle, and only took about 15 minutes with a bit of wire-twisting. But a rechargeable spotlight wouldn't have got us to the other end - at least an hour away! The pilot used to carry, along with the very large fire extinguisher and multi-gas monitor, a spotlight with a full-size 12v battery, but not lately - they just rely on the boat light - rather an unknown quantity, I would have thought!

Not sure I would want to mess around changing a bulb while inside a tunnel - especially if single handed. I always check my headlight prior to entering a tunnel but also have a good strong torch to hand for any emergencies. I feel confident that this would get me through to the other end.

Not sure I would want to mess around changing a bulb while inside a tunnel - especially if single handed. I always check my headlight prior to entering a tunnel but also have a good strong torch to hand for any emergencies. I feel confident that this would get me through to the other end.

Apart from Standedge tunnel I can't think where you would need a strong torch, you are only doing 4mph and there aren't any bends or junctions.

Suddenly find myself about to attempt the Worcester & Birmingham Canal single-handedly and, new to narrowboating, and trying to prepare for 'situations', these tunnel questions came to mind:

1) what happens if the headlight lamp blows? the most likely point would be when you switch it on before entering the tunnel (then you reverse and change the bulb assuming you have a spare)(borrowed boat) - but what if it just fizzles out or goes 'pop!' halfway through the tunnel?

2) what happens if the engine stops halfway through the tunnel? (and won't re-start turning the key)

3) do narrowboats have a rear lamp to warn traffic coming up behind? 4-way-flashers to warn of a hazard (??!!)

(Battery) torches may help, and a gas lantern (such as Camping Gaz)...

1. Rather than mess around changing a bulb I reckon it is always best to have a spare (or secondary) lamp that can be switched on quickly. This could be permanently mounted or it could be a portable unit that plugs into a 12v socket.

2. Either leg the boat or use a long pole to push it. You shouldn't be in any personal danger as long as nobody onboard is claustraphobic.. Any boaters behind you might get impatient and offer to give you a push which might help!

3. No. Most boats don't have a stern lamp, although they can be very useful useful when mooring after dark or when the dog has a habit of falling off the counter (that is why I fitted one!).

LED head torches are now as cheap as chips ( I bought 2 in Aldi a few weeks ago for £2.99 each). Regardless of any other considerations I reckon it is foolhardy not to have some readily accessible emergency lighting. Otherwise, how will you cope if someone falls overboard at night or in a tunnel?

Modern narrowboats have electrical installations which typically cost thousands of pounds........... reliable emergency lighting might only cost 10 or 20 quid!! I suggest not relying on changing a bulb in the darkness of a tunnel - change the bulb when you get out.

Before I got a headlight I did a number of tunnels using 6 cheap magnetic LED torches stuck 1 on the front and the rest on the sides of the boat. It was doable but not comfortable.

PS. White lights on the back are a curse as you can't easily tell if it is an idiot coming at you when it is not their turn.

Before I got a headlight I did a number of tunnels using 6 cheap magnetic LED torches stuck 1 on the front and the rest on the sides of the boat. It was doable but not comfortable.

PS. White lights on the back are a curse as you can't easily tell if it is an idiot coming at you when it is not their turn.

6 LED torches? Were they all freebies? Two decent lights would have been cheaper?

In my experience 12 volt "vehicle type" filament bulbs, as used for car and boat headlights almost never fail when they are already alight. They seem to almost invariably fail as you turn them on.

So, provided you check the light is working before you enter, it is very unlikely to pack up when you are in there, but may still do so as you first turn it on for your next tunnel.

Generally anyway you can anyway make your way along with something that is not very bright, although meeting someone coming the other way in a two way tunnel who has no front light at all can be fairly disconcerting, and presumably more disconcerting if two boats going in opposite directions are both trying it!

I have a personal very strong dislike of bright rear facing white lights on the back of boats in tunnels. In a busy two way tunnel, it can be very hard to work out whether it is the back of a boat going through ahead of you, or the front of one coming towards, particularly if traffic is proceeding very slowly, and you can't easily see any evidence it is getting closer. It is a practice I wish people didn't regularly now seem to think is a good idea. If you want people to see you from behind, an open cabin door and an internal light turned on is more than adequate, and far less open to misinterpretation by other steerers.