Jolly handy boating tips!!!

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

7 - remember the boat ignition is not like a car and the engine doesn't stop when you turn the key to off. ed. more - and when you've turned it to off remember you have to turn it back to on for the engine 'fuel stop' to work.

(three years on and I still do that one occasionally)

Edited by The Dog House

We have rope tidies which hang off our rails and you place the coiled ropes in them. On a couple of occasions now we have not been careful enough and they have either opened and deposited the rope in the drink or the end of the rope has dragged in the water and made its way to the props.

Worst time was outside our local waterside pub on a busy sunny day. Set off as usual got mid way through a turn to head the other way and bang. The props stopped and stalled the engine leaving us drifting sideways down the cut. Luckily our friends were there and managed to tow us back in with the dinghy, then Liam spent the next half hour cutting rope and removing propsbiggrin.png

clapping.giflaugh.png Why do those type of events usually happen outside pubs?

They rarely happen to me when arriving at a pub, but they do tend to occur more frequently when leaving ................

Yes it does!!

Well ours does

Well ours doesn't and every NB we have hired it didn't either - you have to hit the stop button to stop the engine and then turn the ignition off.

Always remove sunglasses before entering a tunnel

Yup did that, left the marina in sunglasses (left glasses in car) so had to use prescription sunglasses right through Blisworth Tunnel.

An old one.

Don't leap a 4 foot gap holding 3 foot of rope...........

But I do believe in this instance,it was innocent jest.

I might be wrong,but that's how i took it.

I think you are quite correct. Mr. Bizzard has a long history as one of the forum's jesters - though in between the gags he comes up with a wealth of sound practical information and advice.

Edited by Athy

Well ours doesn't and every NB we have hired it didn't either - you have to hit the stop button to stop the engine and then turn the ignition off.

Hitting the stop button and turning off the ignition is presumably modern technology?

What happened to pulling the stop cable? Sometimes old technolgy seems more reliable?

Hitting the stop button and turning off the ignition is presumably modern technology?

What happened to pulling the stop cable? Sometimes old technolgy seems more reliable?

Surely that's the usual way? Our boat, launched 2006, has a handle which is pulled out to stop the engine (presumably by means of a behind-the-scenes cable), which I guess is what you're talking about. Our previous one (launched 2000 - ish) had similar..

Perhaps hire companies, fearful that hirers are so stupid and cackhanded that they will wrench such handles from their sockets, fit the stop buttons instead.

Nope. Turn the key back and ours stops like a car.

I've never really understood why they work like this on some boats, cars (and some boats obviously) seem to manage to cut the fuel supply (normally the only way to stop a diesel engine running) and cut the electrics with a turn of a key to 'off' - for some reason most NB's seem to require a rather clunky two stage system

- I'm sure there must be a reason for it being like that but I can't think of one.

Before starting the engine, ensure that you've removed the hat from the engine's chimney, otherwise the hat will be launched into the air and land on the roof with a clonk or, if you're unlucky, end up in the cut. Remember that the new hat is made of stainless steel and won't be retrievable with a magnet.

Always remember to untie all ropes before setting off. Failure to do this results in you dragging the same bit of scenery along with you, and it gets boring after a while.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Quite a few times I've helped out hire boats that wouldn't start - because the stop cable had been pulled out the previous evening and had not retracted. I'd imagine the hire companys got fed up with the early morning phone call that 'my boat won't start'.

It could be a newer arrangement possibly I seem to remember broads hire boats in the 70's having a handle rather than a button. Our boat (launched 2006) has an Isuzu panel to go with an Isuzu engine which is very common on hire boats too.

But I'm also pretty sure Rosemary that we hired way back in October 2003 had the same arrangement though it didn't have an Isuzu engine or panel.

Surely that's the usual way? Our boat, launched 2006, has a handle which is pulled out to stop the engine (presumably by means of a behind-the-scenes cable), which I guess is what you're talking about. Our previous one (launched 2000 - ish) had similar..

Perhaps hire companies, fearful that hirers are so stupid and cackhanded that they will wrench such handles from their sockets, fit the stop buttons instead.

If the cable doesn't self retract, it's a good anti-theft device. Same as the choke on an old car. If you don't pull it out, it won't start. Thieving yoofers can't work it out, which is why I found my car a couple of hundred yards downhill from where I parked it. Or was that the time I forgot to put the handbrake on?

Bye!

John.

*applies best four yorkshireman voice*: You're lucky to have a cable, I just have to persuade the engine into stalling.

An Engine,oohh what luxury,I am to poor to have an Engine. what I would give for an engine to persuade,I've just got 2 harnessed mallard & a fishing rod with bread on the end.

(Sorry,,rather funny Monty Python sketch just came to mind)

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

4 - always set your centre line(s) so you can easily grasp them from the roof at the rear of the boat making stepping ashore a seamless process not involving sloping along the gunwales to grasp them.

(three years on and I still forget to do this sometimes)

Oh, how many times have I done that...................

Chris

Before trying to prove to wife how big and butch you are, ensure that the bridge 'ole is small enough not to let the boat drift sideways out of reach and then drift forwards. If you do not perform this check then at least make sure the centre rope is on the tow path ready to grap. If you do neither of these things then at least listen to wife who says boat is drifting and she can manage the gate on her own thank you very much. Do not under any circumstances strip off to your boxers and wade out to your boat, this will cause your wife problems trying to control her laughter.