Jolly handy boating tips!!!

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

5 - when entering a lock with broad walkways on the gates ensure you do not go so far forward that they ride over the front of the boat and smash into your cratch board and cover.

6 - when entering a low tunnel release your cratch cover from the cabin and drop it down so should you lose concentration and touch the sides your cratch cover does not get torn.

• After moving for the first time in a while (from our winter mooring), be sure to remember which side the bank is on the next morning and don't just automatically climb out the usual side. I caught myself a few inches from falling right in.

If you make the bold decision to "just jump in and swim ashore with the rope", remove your clothes (particularly huge thick jacket) first.

Be careful mooring in the rain, my mallet slipped right out of my hand as I was banging a peg in, flew between my legs and ended up in the canal never to be seen again!

When approaching a bridge ensure your boat will fit through it before continuing through.

(It gets expensive replacing nav gear on a semi regular basisrolleyes.gif )

And, if leaving home berth, land line disconnected.

Orange mooring rope!

Been there are few times.....

Dickie bows are OK though.

An interesting fashion accessory perhaps, though personally I have only ever worn one round my neck.

Tim, yes, a couple of times I have done the frantic rush down the back steps to find, retrieve and fit the tiller bar and pin, while the boat heads haphazardly away from her overnight mooring.

Before untying boat and pushing off - make sure tiller is fitted.

When building yourself a boat - remember to weld some dollies on it so you've actually got something on it to tie a rope somewhere, ideally before her maiden voyage. (Facepalming on behalf of a welder friend)

If your afflicted with a bad stutter its wise to always take someone along to shout HELP!!!!!! closedeyes.gif

If you knew anything at all about stammering, you would realise:

(1) that a stammerer would have no difficulty in shouting for help -- that's just not the way it works;

(2) taking the p1ss out of this disability is just as unacceptable as mocking someone in a wheelchair.

• Greenie 1

(1) that a stammerer would have no difficulty in shouting for help -- that's just not the way it works;

(2) taking the p1ss out of this disability is just as unacceptable as mocking someone in a wheelchair.

How to derail a inoffensive thread in one easy lesson - lighten up! - Biz will not have meant any offence I'm sure.

Oh, dear.

Well shipmates, I was once given these golden rules by an old salty sea dog.......

1 Always finish what you started .

Sorry about that... choppy waters today...

Either that or it was the Parkinson's kicking in...

Ooooops....

Edited by Neil2

As Pete Townshend memorably put it, why don't you all f-f-f-f-fade away?

Or maybe "roll on" in this case.

Note to dog a few months ago . . .

Yesterday I took the towpath and lifted it over onto the other side of the boat. Good job you had your lead on!

note to me. Don't drop your Samsung S3 into the cut for a second time, it didn't like it the first time did it.

Even though your ninja girlfriend is so quick she caught it underwater, before it hit the bottom!

I'd rather have his assurance on that point.There are lines of taste and decency, and sometimes they are crossed.

Perhaps you would like to contribute to the recently established "Moanathon" thread. I'm sure that you would fit in well there.

When coiling away your ropes after leaving a mooring ensure they are stashed away safely. Sods law dictates that if not they make a bee line for the props.

I must be extremely lucky (or careful?) not to have had one of my own ropes on the prop ........ but I did once get 100 metres of (discarded/stolen?) 14mm polyester rope on the prop. I didn't need to buy any rope for 20 years afterwards ........

But I must confess to drowning a mobile phone when I stepped off the wrong side of the bow on a very dark night .....

I'd rather have his assurance on that point.There are lines of taste and decency, and sometimes they are crossed.

I seriously doubt he is going to come on here and say 'well actually I did mean to cause offence' do you?

I must be extremely lucky (or careful?) not to have had one of my own ropes on the prop ........ but I did once get 100 metres of (discarded/stolen?) 14mm polyester rope on the prop. I didn't need to buy any rope for 20 years afterwards ........

But I must confess to drowning a mobile phone when I stepped off the wrong side of the bow on a very dark night .....

We have rope tidies which hang off our rails and you place the coiled ropes in them. On a couple of occasions now we have not been careful enough and they have either opened and deposited the rope in the drink or the end of the rope has dragged in the water and made its way to the props.

Worst time was outside our local waterside pub on a busy sunny day. Set off as usual got mid way through a turn to head the other way and bang. The props stopped and stalled the engine leaving us drifting sideways down the cut. Luckily our friends were there and managed to tow us back in with the dinghy, then Liam spent the next half hour cutting rope and removing propsbiggrin.png