My Dissapointment

Paul's Nulife4-2

Featured Posts

Thanks Mr. T. I hadn't realised that the Romans had cars that long ago. How civilised they must have been.

FIAT actually stands for -

Fabbrica Italiana Automobili (do) Torino (Italian Automotive factory of Turin)

or due to their early reputation for unreliability,

Fix It Again Tomorrow.

Or you could post a source you do consider authoritative that gives an explanation that fits in with your usage and I'll happily withdraw my jocular comment

If you can find one that is

Will this do?

The phrase "The exception that proves the rule" originates from a legal maxim, established in English law in the early 17th century. Written, as law was in those days, in Latin: - "Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis" and is interpreted to mean ‘exception confirms the rule in the cases not excepted’

My Dad used to use that - I think he learned it whilst in the Royal Artillery. His version was "Illegitimi non carborundum" - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Whenever he used it, it was invariably followed two seconds later by a dissaproving squawk from my Mum!

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

Ah yes "Criminals are not grinding paste"

I recall my latin teacher going through all the variations of this phrase whilst rapping our knuckles with a ruler, impressing on us that none of them were correct latin and continued sniggering about such inaccurate attempts to mock his beloved language would attract more serious punishment.

He did tell us the correct version but I forget what it is.

Oh thank heaven for the teachings of monty python,,Brilliant,,you can learn all you need in life from them. '& I vote for my right to say so'...

The only other language that I think is simplistic & often misunderstood is 'Pauleeze' but is only currently used & understood by a very small amount of people,& a black Labrador,in the wild depths of Littlehampton I believe.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

My Dad used to use that - I think he learned it whilst in the Royal Artillery. His version was "Illegitimi non carborundum" - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Whenever he used it, it was invariably followed two seconds later by a dissaproving squawk from my Mum!

Another variation:

uuk.JPG

I try not to make judgements about people of whom I know so little, especially as the persona we present online cannot be an accurate or full reflection of the person as a whole.

Meep?

"Caelum ruat" means "Let the heavens fall" or "falling sky" it is part of a legal saying that means, loosely, "Let justice be done even if the heavens are falling" but my grammar school education was spent learning useful stuff so I can't remember the whole latin phrase and I can't be bothered googling it.

Edited to add:

Couldn't stop myself googling it: "Fiat justitia ruat caelum"

I deny any connection between my name and Chicken Little.

But thanks for the interest.

I have not read all the posts but as a newbie I have always had response to comments and questions, I think the forum is great and part of my daily life having given up newspapers and magazines it keeps me in touch with the world.

Actually, being an electronic engineer I spend a lot of times on in particular the audio electronics and hifi forums. The Naim Audio one is particularly the worst!

I think this is a good example of a forum. There are jokes which just aren't funny (I'm sure they will be mine?!) and there will be misunderstandings (for instance there's a thread on a boat systems monitor where my massive experience and doing this on literally a daily basis means I could criticise the diddly out of the system the chap had worked on - and did - but it was my offer to help if he wanted to as it's the sort of thing I would like to get involved in).

This forum is really helpful. People are modest and the guidance is often wideranging enough to mean that there is no right answer usually!

I like it here.

• Greenie 1

Actually, being an electronic engineer I spend a lot of times on in particular the audio electronics and hifi forums. The Naim Audio one is particularly the worst!

I think this is a good example of a forum. There are jokes which just aren't funny (I'm sure they will be mine?!) and there will be misunderstandings (for instance there's a thread on a boat systems monitor where my massive experience and doing this on literally a daily basis means I could criticise the diddly out of the system the chap had worked on - and did - but it was my offer to help if he wanted to as it's the sort of thing I would like to get involved in).

This forum is really helpful. People are modest and the guidance is often wideranging enough to mean that there is no right answer usually!

I like it here.

So you are saying there is plenty left for the rest of us ..

(oh ... and ... me not like anyone on here )

If a person hasn't been part of this thread from the very beginning, are we allowed to jump in at this point?

Oh gawd....I just did. oops.

Another variation:

uuk.JPG

I honestly thought this boats bow was lower in the water than it's stern...until I realised I was looking at it backwards.

• 2 weeks later...

What a forum, not only do you get help with all boaty questions, you can get help with spelling learn a bit Latin/English and many other things wanted or not, the way i look at it is, the sticks and stones old saying, It takes all types to make a good forum and i would say we have got most of them here, keep posting its my night time reading.clapping.gif

Ah yes "Criminals are not grinding paste"

I recall my latin teacher going through all the variations of this phrase whilst rapping our knuckles with a ruler, impressing on us that none of them were correct latin and continued sniggering about such inaccurate attempts to mock his beloved language would attract more serious punishment.

He did tell us the correct version but I forget what it is.

I was taught in latin that there were two types of "Bastards"

1:- Someone whose parents were not married but the child knew who the father was.

2:- Someone whose parents were not married but the child didn't know who the father was.

smile.png

Edited by Laurie.Booth