My Dissapointment

Paul's Nulife4-2

Featured Posts

Miss. Wolf, I did realise that your comment was jocular - I was just slightly stung by being labelled as a "dude".

Edited for lupine gender adjustment.

Edited by Athy

Don't know, but I will bow to your superior experience of orij....origl....doing arty things wi' sheets of paper.

Ok allow me -

Kirigami[edit]
Main article: Kirigami

Kirigami is a Japanese term for paper cutting. Cutting was often used in traditional Japanese origami, but modern innovations in technique have made the use of cuts unnecessary. Most origami designers no longer consider models with cuts to be origami, instead using the term Kirigami to describe them. This change in attitude occurred during the 1960s and 70s, so early origami books often use cuts, but for the most part they have disappeared from the modern origami repertoire; most modern books don't even mention cutting.[11]

Miss. Wolf, I did realise that your comment was jocular - I was just slightly stung by being labelled as a "dude".

Edited for lupine gender adjustment.

oh sorry, i was using Dude in the american way meaning 'friend'. As in the most excellent* film "Dude, where's my car?"

*opinions may vary

Or perhaps "boldly to go..."

Nah. Still doesn't sound as good as "to boldly go".

Just watched both on You Tube but can't seem to put them on here - I figured it out once but then the forum software changed. I'll suss it out another time :)

It's interesting the differences between the original opening statement and the TNG one. The "5 year mission" turns into "continuing mission" and "every man" turns into "every one".

Respect to the OP for expressing his view.

My take on it is that disappointment is often directly proportional to expectation. I entered with little expectation and I find the site full of character, information and entertainment. I try not to make judgements about people of whom I know so little, especially as the persona we present online cannot be an accurate or full reflection of the person as a whole.

Even so, this thread is a little too saccharined for me. I read pleading between the lines - but one can't be loved by everyone. As a newcomer I wouldn't expect it. And I seldom take responsibility for others' disappointment. They need to temper their expectations, perhaps.

Hope I haven't expressed that too clumsily.

Welcome, Mr. or Mrs. Ruat! Is that name Latin? What does it mean?

"Caelum ruat" means "Let the heavens fall" or "falling sky" it is part of a legal saying that means, loosely, "Let justice be done even if the heavens are falling" but my grammar school education was spent learning useful stuff so I can't remember the whole latin phrase and I can't be bothered googling it.

Edited to add:

Couldn't stop myself googling it: "Fiat justitia ruat caelum"

Edited by carlt