junior

Featured Posts

I'm going to echo the comments re: cheap bulbs. I changed all the bulbs on the boat for cheapo LED ones from eBay, most from China, for 1/4 of the price I could buy them for here. 9 months later and every one is still working just fine.

You can either buy lights from Bedazzled at £11 each, or from Ebay at 99p each. In my experience, 8 out of 10 Ebay ones work and keep working (for 30 months so far in my case). They DON'T go up in flames, and they DON'T cause radio interference, and they DON'T require voltage stabilisation. At least, they don't in my experience. Maybe I was lucky.

So, what's the case for paying £11 rather than 99p?

1 The people at Bedazzled are nice.

2 Er, that's it.

And the case for spending 99p instead of £11?

1 You've got £140 to spend on something that has a real benefit, rather than an imaginary one.

2 You need 2? cool.png

come on George,give us a link.

I don't know if these are the same make or indeed the same seller, but these are the type of light I bought. I removed the lamp-holder and soldered these in. They work fine.

Or at least, the ones I bought did. I am just going to buy some more to add more lighting.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-STOCK-10X-G4-24SMD-12V-LED-Cabinet-Marine-Camper-Light-Bulb-Day-Warm-White-/121145670950?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item1c34d83d26

A few years ago I replaced all my halogen bulbs with leds from a company called Ultraleds in Manchester. One by one they fizzled out and died within a few months. When I called them to complain they said it was my 12v system that was faulty! I then bought bulbs from Bedazzled and they are much better quality. I've had them in since 2009 without a problem. Don't buy cheap leds from an unknown source or company without any recommendations - it's a false economy.

As above, I've used this company for a while for LED bulbs:

http://www.ultraleds.com/

and have never had a problem with any. Always long lasting and they do have the fittings the OP needs.

I have bought cheap Chinese ones on Ebay and found the quality variable.

Perhaps they've improved since I bought from them, or perhaps the ones I had were from a bad batch, but I would never go back to Ultraleds. I spent at least 100 quid with them and it was all money down the drain. Their customer service was equally as bad as their products.

You can either buy lights from Bedazzled at £11 each, or from Ebay at 99p each. In my experience, 8 out of 10 Ebay ones work and keep working (for 30 months so far in my case). They DON'T go up in flames, and they DON'T cause radio interference, and they DON'T require voltage stabilisation. At least, they don't in my experience. Maybe I was lucky.

So, what's the case for paying £11 rather than 99p?

1 The people at Bedazzled are nice.

2 Er, that's it.

No, the case is that if you buy from Bedazzled you know that you're getting good quality.

There are loads of cheap crap leds on the market. You may be lucky if you buy from ebay and in your case I think you were.

Edited by blackrose

I'm going to echo the comments re: cheap bulbs. I changed all the bulbs on the boat for cheapo LED ones from eBay, most from China, for 1/4 of the price I could buy them for here. 9 months later and every one is still working just fine.

Same here, but bulbs we bought from china are now between 2 and 6 years old without failures and quite heavy use especially over the past year. The ones I bought 2 years ago were 48 led warm white, the price I paid then is cheaper than Bedazzled LOL

I have regulated the supply to lights at 12v though, standard led's will blow quickly if you exceed 13v. I was told SMD doesn't have this problem. I must buy some to try, (NOT from Befiddled though LOL)

I have 20 odd Les fitted and 20 odd spare though LOL I must stop browsing e-bay LOL

A few years ago I replaced all my halogen bulbs with leds from a company called Ultraleds in Manchester. One by one they fizzled out and died within a few months. When I called them to complain they said it was my 12v system that was faulty! I then bought bulbs from Bedazzled and they are much better quality. I've had them in since 2009 without a problem. Don't buy cheap leds from an unknown source or company without any recommendations - it's a false economy.

Perhaps they've improved since I bought from them, or perhaps the ones I had were from a bad batch, but I would never go back to Ultraleds. I spent at least 100 quid with them and it was all money down the drain. Their customer service was equally as bad as their products.

No, the case is that if you buy from Bedazzled you know that you're getting good quality.

There are loads of cheap crap leds on the market. You may be lucky if you buy from ebay and in your case I think you were.

If you did not have a 12v regulated supply they would have blown. Standard led's will almost certainly blow above 13 volts. Individual led's will start to go out until eventually they all blow. The very first batch I bought did this as there was no warning on them as to voltage limits. Not many chinese sellers mention this either.

Same here, but bulbs we bought from china are now between 2 and 6 years old without failures and quite heavy use especially over the past year. The ones I bought 2 years ago were 48 led warm white, the price I paid then is cheaper than Bedazzled LOL

I have regulated the supply to lights at 12v though, standard led's will blow quickly if you exceed 13v. I was told SMD doesn't have this problem. I must buy some to try, (NOT from Befiddled though LOL)

I have 20 odd Les fitted and 20 odd spare though LOL I must stop browsing e-bay LOL

If you did not have a 12v regulated supply they would have blown. Standard led's will almost certainly blow above 13 volts. Individual led's will start to go out until eventually they all blow. The very first batch I bought did this as there was no warning on them as to voltage limits. Not many chinese sellers mention this either.

I'll also bet all bedazzled's stuff comes from Chine too LOL

Just thought I would add, the 48 led's I have are similar or even the same to these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-MR16-GU5-3-48-LED-BULB-COOL-WHITE-ENERGY-SAVING-UK-/190888830157?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Lamps&hash=item2c71dc64cd

I noticed this e-bayer selling them for just £2.00 each delivered if you buy 10 bulbs, he's giving the Chineese a run for their money LOL

These are very bright well brighter than a 20 watt halogen but a similar warm light. Best bulbs I've used yet.

What's peoples opinions on SMD compared to LED

Edited by Julynian

Not everything being stated in this thread is quite as straightforward as it is being presented!

I haven't time to comment on each post individually, but despite what has been said, any good quality unit will have an on-board regulator, and the lights will be happy to run off voltages well in excess of 12 volts, or indeed the highest voltage that is likely to be being applied to batteries even if your alternator is working hard.

Products like this from UltraLEDs are not just specified to work at "a bit over 12 volts", it is specified to work anywhere in the massive range 8 volts to 30 volts.

If you look at some of the cheap e-Bay offerings they simply say 12 volts - they do not say 8 volts to 30 volts. Now it may well be that they will work fine at 15 volts with a few nasty spikes because the alternator is running, but it certainly doesn't say so in the specification, and I'd not rely on it.

On the other hand, if you compare a Bedazzled or Baddie the Pirate unit with one from UltraLEDs (for example), the standard of construction, general component count, etc, seem near identical. I think there is no reason to assume the canal based suppliers are selling anything better constructed or more robust than a reliable seller not specifically supplying the canal boat market. I bet if I laid one of each side by side few people could tell me which one cost twice what the other did.

I can't comment much on the "cheapies" because I have never tried them, but certainly some have a lot less on-board componentry, and I'd not guarantee they will work for ever if the"12 volts" is otherwise unregulated.

What's peoples opinions on SMD compared to LED

I thought an SMD is an LED, its just one designed to be directly soldered to the board. Or am I wrong?

Edited by alan_fincher

The ones that blew from Ultraleds weren't standard leds. They were supposed to have built-in regulators, just like the ones I've been using since 2009 from Bedazzled without any problem. You can either have a regulated supply or regulated led bulbs.

It seems to me that there is indeed a wide range of component quality on offer.

Edited by blackrose

When I looked into this, althout "Bedazzled" or "Baddie the Pirate" may be very helpful to do business with, there is nothing special about the product that justified the much higher prices being charged.

You definitely want something that says it is supressed against interference, and also has a voltage regulator on board, ideally that can deal with a large range of voltages.

I didn't go for cheapest by any means but a forum member recommended UltraLEDs. These were about half the price of the canal based suppliers, but the features and spec looked identical - indeed they may be exactly the same product.

Haven't rechecked the numbers for this post, but it seems that have an extra 15% off right now, which will help, of course.

Ultra is where I bought mine from, Some are years old now. No all are years old, some are many years old. I didn't have the same success with ebay

The ones that blew from Ultraleds weren't standard leds. They were supposed to have built-in regulators, just like the ones I've been using since 2009 from Bedazzled without any problem. You can either have a regulated supply or regulated led bulbs.

It seems to me that there is indeed a wide range of component quality on offer.

I see, The early batch we bought that did this were one of the first led bulbs produced in the U'K by a new company. I did get my money back a long time later, but they had indeed neglected to regulate the bulb as they were actually originally made to run from transformers. When they started selling them to boaters they realised the variations in voltage were problematic. I also think the bulbs I bought from china are individually regulated, but this was only told to me by the seller in a written answer, not printed in the listing. So to be sure I fitted wee regulators for the led's.

I guess you had a bad batch or possibly a spike!

My brother bought some Led's from the a chandlery in the U'K paying over 3 times the price we did and was well annoyed when they turned out to be exactly the same as ours accept for a different 6 digit number printed on the back of the bulbs.

Most of these bulbs originate in China for sure.

Not everything being stated in this thread is quite as straightforward as it is being presented!

I haven't time to comment on each post individually, but despite what has been said, any good quality unit will have an on-board regulator, and the lights will be happy to run off voltages well in excess of 12 volts, or indeed the highest voltage that is likely to be being applied to batteries even if your alternator is working hard.

Products like this from UltraLEDs are not just specified to work at "a bit over 12 volts", it is specified to work anywhere in the massive range 8 volts to 30 volts.

If you look at some of the cheap e-Bay offerings they simply say 12 volts - they do not say 8 volts to 30 volts. Now it may well be that they will work fine at 15 volts with a few nasty spikes because the alternator is running, but it certainly doesn't say so in the specification, and I'd not rely on it.

On the other hand, if you compare a Bedazzled or Baddie the Pirate unit with one from UltraLEDs (for example), the standard of construction, general component count, etc, seem near identical. I think there is no reason to assume the canal based suppliers are selling anything better constructed or more robust than a reliable seller not specifically supplying the canal boat market. I bet if I laid one of each side by side few people could tell me which one cost twice what the other did.

I can't comment much on the "cheapies" because I have never tried them, but certainly some have a lot less on-board componentry, and I'd not guarantee they will work for ever if the"12 volts" is otherwise unregulated.

I thought an SMD is an LED, its just one designed to be directly soldered to the board. Or am I wrong?

Not sure but SMD's look like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-MR16-GU5-3-48-LED-BULB-COOL-WHITE-ENERGY-SAVING-UK-/190888830157?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Lamps&hash=item2c71dc64cd

And standard LED like this

So they are identical then :lol:

Well I think your links are!

I don't think thoseare SMDs,

These are using SMDs....

ug412ww.jpg

So they are identical then laugh.png

Well I think your links are!

I don't think thoseare SMDs,

These are using SMDs....

ug412ww.jpg

LOL that's what I meant to post LOL the square ones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-MR16-LED-SMD-Spot-Light-Bulb-Cool-White-Warm-White-Dimmable-50W-Equiv-/330951837243?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item4d0e44463b

I recall a member saying these happily accept a voltage range from 12 to 30v I have so many led's that I haven't tried these yet and wondered how they compared, they seem more efficient too if I read correctly.

LOL that's what I meant to post LOL the square ones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-MR16-LED-SMD-Spot-Light-Bulb-Cool-White-Warm-White-Dimmable-50W-Equiv-/330951837243?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item4d0e44463b

I recall a member saying these happily accept a voltage range from 12 to 30v I have so many led's that I haven't tried these yet and wondered how they compared, they seem more efficient too if I read correctly.

I have converted virtually everything on both boats to these, (or similar) units, (mostly 12 LED, some 16, and a couple of 8s where I don't want things to bright).

Dead impressed with them - brighter than what they replaced, and quality of the light not obviously that different.

The power consumption is about a tenth of what they replaced, so there is no longer any need to worry about what the lights are using, even with our dead modest electrical set ups.

Early days to speak about reliability, but at the moment all functioning perfectly. Even the 1930s boat is now relying on LEDs for its cabin lights. Ok not strict prototype, but with only the starter battery supplying everything, it is nice to know the lights are barely taking any current.

Now can anybody recommend a laptop that will only use one tenth of the power of those we are currently using, and we should be sorted!.......

I see, The early batch we bought that did this were one of the first led bulbs produced in the U'K by a new company. I did get my money back a long time later, but they had indeed neglected to regulate the bulb as they were actually originally made to run from transformers. When they started selling them to boaters they realised the variations in voltage were problematic. I also think the bulbs I bought from china are individually regulated, but this was only told to me by the seller in a written answer, not printed in the listing. So to be sure I fitted wee regulators for the led's.

I guess you had a bad batch or possibly a spike!

It don't think it was a spike, they all failed one by one over several months. Anyway, I thought the whole point of regulation was to deal with wide variations in voltage? I also know it wasn't a spike because one spare bulb that I sold on cheaply to another boater also failed shortly after. If it was a spike, why have I never had a spike with Bedazzled bulbs?

No it wasn't a spike, it was either a bad batch or just a bad company that imports crap and has zero customer service. In fact, in my experience the last bit was true whatever the problem with the bulbs and I would never deal with Ultraleds again and would also urge others not to. Terrible company to be avoided. Better to just go on ebay. Why deal with w*nkers like Ultraleds when their are reputable companies like Bedazzled who supply quality products and will give you a replacement or a refund if you do have any problems?

Edited by blackrose

It don't think it was a spike, they all failed one by one over several months. Anyway, I thought the whole point of regulation was to deal with wide variations in voltage? I also know it wasn't a spike because one spare bulb that I sold on cheaply to another boater also failed shortly after. If it was a spike, why have I never had a spike with Bedazzled bulbs?

No it wasn't a spike, it was either a bad batch or just a bad company that imports crap and has zero customer service. In fact, in my experience the last bit was true whatever the problem with the bulbs and I would never deal with Ultraleds again and would also urge others not to. Terrible company to be avoided. Better to just go on ebay. Why deal with w*nkers like Ultraleds when their are reputable companies like Bedazzled who supply quality products and will give you a replacement or a refund if you do have any problems?

Agree with you, I had a brill day out when I purchased LED bulbs for my boat. Good trip up The A5 (a lovely road to drive) dropped my wife off at the Heart of Shires shopping outlet, called at Bedazzled- they have a good display so you get the correct bulbs. Purchased bulbs. Had look at the 'odds and bobs' bit of canal ware they have for sale and purchased a dozen free range eggs.

Back to the shopping centre (housed in a very interesting group of restored farm buildings).

Lunch at a good restaurant in Weedon - expertly served by the original 'Mrs Overall' (aged about 79, lived in Weedon all her life and worked at this restaurant in excess of 50 years).

Good run down the A5, calling in at a spendid of fashioned ironmongers at Fenny Stratford.

Brill day, ..............................................agree they are all made in China.

I see it's possible to buy LEDs to replace 500 watt halogen yard lights now....

L

Edited by LEO

I agree, I think you get what you pay for. I've bought no end of LED bulbs, torches etc in the markets and electronic stores when I've been working in China, but they usually don't last that long because there is no quality control. Occasionally you'll get lucky.

I work in the lighting trade (live events). It's true that the stuff coming over from china in unregulated (dangerously) and of unreliable quality. We never use it.

Also - LED retro-fit is BIG business and R & D is relatively cheap, so every 6 months or so we take another big leap in the technology, e.g. dimmable units.. The ones developed as little as 3 years ago are now obsolete in my sector!

Altho this IS rather ironic.. as the european makes DO last forever, and that goes for domestic, "12v", and big wooshy stage-lighting..

I see it's possible to buy LEDs to replace 500 watt halogen yard lights now....

yep - got a 10w LED for about £15 which i use as a dusk/dawn secuirty light replacing various CFL units so far its brilliant and at 10w uses even less than the 2 x 25w CFL's it replaced. its at least as good as a 150W halogen.

at the rate the price are dropping the larger (I've seen up to 70WLED) will soon be realistic replacements for halogen floods. (sadly I remember what a step forward they were too...)

at the rate the price are dropping the larger (I've seen up to 70WLED) will soon be realistic replacements for halogen floods. (sadly I remember what a step forward they were too...)

Saw one of those in the wholesalers last time I went in, I only bought a 240 v 4watt one for my bedhead light

Try Baddie the Pirate, she is canal based and travels around the system but her dispatch times are great. She specialises in gear suitable for boats and can supply adapters for all types. Address is www.baddiethepirate.co.uk

Sarah-May ... AKA Baddie the Pirate

We have a mixture of cheap led bulbs in the cabin and expensive ones in the cockpit.

All were fitted about three years ago when we upgraded the battery bank. The cheap g4 bulbs straight from china are still plodding on. The expensive cockpit light failed after just 12 months and was replaced under warranty, 18 months later it failed again. We have now replaced it with a cheaper one.

Today we have replaced the shower room tube light with an led version. It is much brighter but remains to be seen how reliable that one is.