Caldon Canal, worth a look?

churchward

Featured Posts

Agreed, once clear of the outskirts of Stoke, it is a beautiful canal with a lot of interest. Not too many locks, a short river section and some very fine pubs indeed, even if they are a little spaced out (not like some of the forum members I should add!) at times it can be a bit shallow (not like.....) but I think you will find it to be a very satisfying experience. The Leek arm doesn't actually go to Leek, I think it's about a mile off from the terminus :-)

Good mooring just past bridge 28 with fresh eggs and bacon etc at the farm shop - Fine Feathers Farm Shop Feathers Farm Shop.

I posted this on another thread about the Caldon "Coming through Milton towards Stoke I saw some kids on a bridge obviously watching the boat carefully so I went to the front to get a better view and saw they had several half bricks on the parapet. One kid lobbed one towards the boat so I promptly got the camera out and started photographing. The kids vanished below the parapet and only reappeared after we had gone under and away from the bridge - waving nicely!! Do they not realise the harm a half brick could do??!!"

That would have been about 3 weeks ago. Something to look out for perhaps?

Edited by stickleback

Good mooring just past bridge 28 with fresh eggs and bacon etc at the farm shop - Fine Feathers Farm Shop Feathers Farm Shop.

I posted this on another thread about the Caldon "Coming through Milton towards Stoke I saw some kids on a bridge obviously watching the boat carefully so I went to the front to get a better view and saw they had several half bricks on the parapet. One kid lobbed one towards the boat so I promptly got the camera out and started photographing. The kids vanished below the parapet and only reappeared after we had gone under and away from the bridge - waving nicely!! Do they not realise the harm a half brick could do??!!"

That would have been about 3 weeks ago. Something to look out for perhaps?

While I would agree about the canal being well worth a visit when we were there in March 2 teenage girls threw a small stone from a bridge in that area. Again use of the camera moved them on.

They will be back at school now, we never had any trouble, as others have said once out of Stoke it is wonderful and of course the steam trains and the pub (Black Lion) is worth the trip on its own, for me.

They will be back at school now, we never had any trouble, as others have said once out of Stoke it is wonderful and of course the steam trains and the pub (Black Lion) is worth the trip on its own, for me.

Ah yes the Churnett Valley Railway I had forgotten that was up that way. A very good reason for going.

Couldn't agree more!

No stress at all when we did it at the beginning of sept last year...although we did engineer an early trip thro stoke both ways!

A highly recommended trip....and we fit thro Froghall tunnel....the basin at the end is worth it if you are feeling brave!

Cheers

Gareth

I enjoyed it, and was doing it primerally FOR the tunnel, which for the record, is another win for EmilyAnne being a go anywhere. We very very briefly touched at two corners (front left hatch, and hatch in middle on the right) at the same time on the way through, and not at all on the way back.

Its lowest for the first 15ft of so, then opens out to be ok for the remaining whatever it is.

We recorded our boat as being 5ft8 wide at 5ft 8 height at the time, as I recall. Much more than the sign states.

Daniel

You'll probably find a fair few threads on this from the past, most of which concur with what's been said.

You do have to persevere as it seems to take a while to get into the country, but for a short canal it's full of interest. There's an incredibly tight section near the Black Lion which looks near impossible to negotiate, and of course Froghall tunnel is a one off. If you can make it through (we did) the reward is probably the most exclusive mooring spot anywhere on the system. We'll definitely go back next time we're down that way.

A must do canal, I enjoyed my walk into Leek, which is a good market town. I liked the pubs :) One should get to the Uttermost canal if you can, it has very exclusive moorings down there just do the tunnel very slowly, it is so short that you can work the boat through by handing, never mind legging. and then there is the railway which needs a good day to play on. One does wonder where you are going, to start with, but once your up the first 3 locks and past the first lift bridge things improve more and more. Its also a good place for testing place your helmamnship, some of the bends are really tight and remember if its not your bend sods laws says someone will be coming the other way.

Just come back from there. A must for sure. The bottom end, esp the Black Lion at Consall forge is worth a visit, but the Holly Bush at Denford was excellent too. Food and beer wise. Go you will love it. Oh just be careful of the barriers at Ivyhouse lift bridge, be gentle or they come up and back down again, lifted the wife off her feet, funny to watch, but she did pull her back.

Edited by Dibbo

Another vote for the Caldon, it's a cracking canal. Keep going out of Stoke to at least Norton Green (good pint at the foaning Jug which is about 10 mins walk from Swingbridge) then there's the Sportsmans at Stockton Locks. A really Good pub & moorings is below Hazelhurst Locks right outside the Hollybush at Denford (good pint & food). Then there's Cheddleton with it's Flint Mill, Churnet Valley Pub, Red Lion. & the Boat Pubs, Corner Shop & Chippy. At Consal Forge you've got another cracking pub the Black Lion, railway station & a photo oppertunity of a steam train passing over the canal bridge. If you get as far as Frogal Tunnel then I'd recommend trying the tunnel very slowly & ignore the gauge, it's suprising what can get through. Then if you make it drop down through the lock to a rarely visited canal the Uttoxeter! The Caldon is my 3rd favourite cut.

Cheers, Brian

PS. Thinking about it actually Milton is an OK tie-up for shops, pub & overnight mooring

A few weeks ago I encountered the kids threatening to throw stones (by bridge 8) but the camera threat did the trick. They will be back at school after this weekend.though.

The Flint Mill at Cheddleton is work a stop. It's hit and miss as to whether it will be open as they rely on volunteers turning up but it's still interesting looking around the grounds and at the old buildings.

Don't miss out the Leek Arm because it's a pleasant 3 mile stretch. If you want to overnight and visit the Hollybush pub at Denford but don't want to risk it being noisy, there are good moorings just through Bridge 1 on the Leek Arm. There are nice views from there and it's a less than 10 minute walk down to and along the main canal to the pub.

BTW, if you see a 'Comfortably Numb' moored up on the Leek Arm it isn't mine.

PS. Thinking about it actually Milton is an OK tie-up for shops, pub & overnight mooring

The first overnight mooring after the built up area we felt comfortable with was a mile or so after Milton in between the two manual lift bridges. We've moored there on quite a few occasions over the years including twice the other week and it's been quiet with no problems.

Agreed, once clear of the outskirts of Stoke, it is a beautiful canal with a lot of interest. Not too many locks, a short river section and some very fine pubs indeed, even if they are a little spaced out (not like some of the forum members I should add!) at times it can be a bit shallow (not like.....) but I think you will find it to be a very satisfying experience. The Leek arm doesn't actually go to Leek, I think it's about a mile off from the terminus :-)

The Leek Arm goes to Morrison's, well after a walk through the industrial estate and could be strategically important on the catering front.

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock

Agree with everyone else, it's a fantastic canal, one of our favourites, especially the bit down by Consall Forge.

Is that auto-correct for Uttoxeter?

It would appear so, hadn't spotted the red underline which it must have had, as its got one now!