Spiders

canals are us?

Featured Posts

I'm certainly getting a lot of spiders onboard my boat. I'm evicting about 5 the last few days as I don't mind spiders it's when you walk into your boat and you get webs into your hair etc.

I can sit down in the evening and the spiders decend from the ceiling. Some very small spiders some average size.

Anyone else experiencing an influx of spiders and webs?

Jamescheers.gif

We have a cat that now lives on board full time, instead of catching mice etc she now has to settle for smaller prey such as spiders and creepy crawlies, we rarely find any spiders or webs.

Ann

We have used the fly killing strips inside the boat with good effect in the past, not sure if the spiders are repelled by the strips or if the absence of flies makes them move on, but it did work. Spiders that live on the outside of boats seem to be a very determined breed! you can put the front fender under a lock gate waterfall and drench them but they emerge the same evening and secure the boat to the bank with new webs.

I can tolerate the little ones that spin webs across the ceiling at night, 'entagling' me when I stagger back in after a nightshift, but thankfully as yet, none of these beggars:

House20Spider202.jpg

They can stay in the houses, where they belong. . . .

....and yeah, I know, there's always a first time. . .

Edited by Orca

My last boat used to be spider infested, whereas this boat rarely has any spiders or insects. I can only put it down to the deadly fumes from the MDF bulkheads.

We have loads. I often hit a web when heading for the loo in the night and the strength of it is surprising.

It's supposed to be stronger then steel if steel was spun that thin.

There are too many to get rid of so I've started hoovering them up with my wet/dry vac.

Edited by blackrose

It's supposed to be stronger then steel if steel was spun that thin.

There are too many to get rid of so I've started hoovering them up with my wet/dry vac.

I have heard similar about the webs. I believe that somebody once measured the tensile strength of same, and as you suggest it was stronger than many materials. Spiders give me the creeps, but at the same time they somehow fascinate me.

Only evicted 2 this-evening. I don't mind them at all it just looks as though you never clean with all of their webs. They certainly can build a web quickly!!

I'm looking forward to seeing their outdoor webs when they are covered in frost though.

Now if it was flies though they would of got squashed. Strange how you don't mind killing flies but not a spider. No fly problem yet thankfully.

Jamescheers.gif

I have a deal with mine - they stay in the windows and I leave them alone - if they come into the main part of the boat they are fair game.... On a related note I might be imagining it but as I go north are there more flies?

I have a deal with mine - they stay in the windows and I leave them alone - if they come into the main part of the boat they are fair game.... On a related note I might be imagining it but as I go north are there more flies?

I think it's because there is more litter in the streets up north.

Been away from the boat for a few weeks due to illness, Got back yesterday and there were a number of what looked like legs and bits of spiders all over the floor. Hoovered them up and thought no more of it. The it appeared, the biggest nastiest looking critter you have ever seen outside of a zoo. I know people exaggerate but this spider was over 4 inches across (inc legs, not just the body). Shot under the fridge and have not seen in since. He'll be back!

Edited by Bill

Been away from the boat for a few weeks due to illness, Got back yesterday and there were a number of what looked like legs and bits of spiders all over the floor. Hoovered them up and thought no more of it. The it appeared, the biggest nastiest looking critter you have ever seen outside of a zoo. I know people exaggerate but this spider was over 4 inches across (inc legs, not just the body). Shot under the fridge and have not seen in since. He'll be back!

Be afraid...