Cement Ship has a smashing time

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Regarding Pilots on board ships. I was on board the Esso York as it was berthing at Immingham Dock in the late seventies. 26 000 tonne tanker with a pilot on the bridge. The ship came in too fast and destroyed the jetty (largely made of wood). The captain was disciplined by the company as being responsible for the ship despite the pilot being the one giving the commands. I have no idea what happened to the pilot

Regarding Pilots on board ships. I was on board the Esso York as it was berthing at Immingham Dock in the late seventies. 26 000 tonne tanker with a pilot on the bridge. The ship came in too fast and destroyed the jetty (largely made of wood). The captain was disciplined by the company as being responsible for the ship despite the pilot being the one giving the commands. I have no idea what happened to the pilot

Similar thing happened at Northfleet Cement Terminal last year. Lafarge's brand new tanker on her maiden job ploughed straight into the dock destroying a section of dock and damaging the ship. The captain not the pilot was held responsible.

Think thats just an unlucky dock though as it was repaired the back end of last year and has recently been struck again by one of the Cross Rail ships rolleyes.gif

With a very few exceptions (Panama Canal being one) the master is in command and responsible,with the pilot giving advice. The master can choose to overrule this advice if he thinks it is necessary. Entries in the Bridge movement book (Bell Book to our colonial cousinsrolleyes.gif ) when manoeuvring are usually annotated "Helm & Engine orders various TMO&PA - To Masters Orders and Pilots advice."

I don't know the reasons for this particular incident but it may well be a malfunction of the ships variable Pitch propeller, looking at the prop wash in the video. I agree that on the face of it the tug is not doing much to help and I am sure questions will be asked!

When the oil and gas exploration industry first started to operate out of Great Yarmouth in the 1970's, there were a few similar incidents when supply vessels tried to turn short round near to the small craft moorings. It was alleged at the time that one or two boats were moored there in the hope of an "upgrade" via the insurance compensation but I can't believe that this was true!!!

Howard

This video is obviously concrete evidence

The old ones are the oldest!

"Don't go backwards!"......

"Errm - Don't what?"

"Go Backwards!"

"OK - I got you that time!"......

Hehehe!

Apparently it was a "propulsion problem" in Levanger port, Norway.

Fits with the above

Looks like the tug has the problem, the lines are not tight and I can't see any wash from it.

Awww, boring....

A quick Google does seem to suggest that.

... sad face!

Daniel

I think he might be spotted in Riby Square drinking out of a dirty Newcy bottle.

With a very few exceptions (Panama Canal being one) the master is in command and responsible,with the pilot giving advice.

Reminds me of this video

Description reads; Marina Coppola in Amalfi is a tiny marina and all the boats are squeezed as tight as possible. All boats are moored by harbor master (Julio) himself.

Daniel

Reminds me of this video

Description reads; Marina Coppola in Amalfi is a tiny marina and all the boats are squeezed as tight as possible. All boats are moored by harbor master (Julio) himself.

Daniel

Must be over propped

• 2 weeks later...

I remember something similar on the river Crouch.

The timber ships would come up on the tide, pass the wharf and turn on their bow anchor and then come back to tie up against the tide. On one occasion, the skipper misjudged it and ploughed straight through the fueling pontoon at Wallersea marina.