The three predators

Featured Posts

When I buy my boat and start continuously cruising I'm going to set myself a target of specimen perch, pike and zander, all lure fishing. I'm going to set the perch at 3lb and the pike at 20lb. I've a good idea where to spend time trying to achieve these goals, no problem.

But the zander.. living in the north I've never seen one, never mind caught one. I realise that I'll need to head for the midlands (at least). But what weight might I aim for, one that is exceptional, but possible? And could anyone suggest a canal that might hold such zander?

Thanks for any replies.

When the electro-fishers went past my mooring they always left me two or 3 sizeable zander which were in the region of 6-8 lb and, despite the regular cull, around Braunston, their numbers never seem to be depleted.

I believe the biggest one caught in the UK is upwards of 20lb caught on the Ashby.

When the electro-fishers went past my mooring they always left me two or 3 sizeable zander which were in the region of 6-8 lb and, despite the regular cull, around Braunston, their numbers never seem to be depleted.

I believe the biggest one caught in the UK is upwards of 20lb caught on the Ashby.

Very intersting. When I was a keen angler as a teenager, zander was a rare fish found only in rivers, but ISTR the biggest tended to be in the region of 40lb. Also known back then as a 'perch-pike' IIRC. Not sure why as I don't think it is a cross between the two.

Electro-fishers?? What's that all about then?

MtB

Electro fishing is generally used to sample fish stocks. Electricity is passed through the water stunning the fish which can then be caught but are unharmed and so can be released, Zander however wouldn't be released as they are an alien species.

Electro fishing is generally used to sample fish stocks. Electricity is passed through the water stunning the fish which can then be caught but are unharmed and so can be released, Zander however wouldn't be released as they are an alien species.

Thanks.

Fascinating. Can anyone have a go do you think??

MtB

Thanks.

Fascinating. Can anyone have a go do you think??

MtB

I wouldn't know for other areas but my wife has been when she was a lab tech in a school and locally we have a "rivers trust" (NOT the rivers trust) who survey for the river health etc and involve volunteers so it seems it might be possible.

I have yet to eat Zander but have eaten Pike Perch and Gudgeon from various rivers and lakes.

Sad to say the last time was 20 years ago when they were clearing pike out of the lake on our moorings.

When we were moored at Shardlow marina- next to the Trent- I heard people say they had caught Zander in the marina (I remember because I hadnt heard of them and did think they sounded alien) - not sure how big though

a few zander pointers i think they were brought into the country for a private estate possibly woburn or claydon a few naughty individuals then moved some illegally to there local canals and some went off to the fens they first showed in large numbers around the midlands canals ,when the local water boards realised they were to late but still attempted a total eradication policy which as normal failed misserably they have since spread out from the birmingham area and have intagrated without the much feared total wipeout of all other freshwater fish now if you want to fish for them they are pretty well spread from brum outwards but the river severn has become somewhat of a zander mecca and i think it holds the current record of around 21lb but as a realistic target a 10lb fish is doable with regard to the electro fishing questions you need to be licenced just to own the kit and lastly there has never been a zander even approaching 40lb caught in this country by any means hope thats of some help and good luck with your quest A.T.B Paul

You are correct with your details Paul, I regularly fish for them and have caught hundreds over the years. They were illegally stocked into the River Severn system too, by anglers from the Birmingham area who wanted to fish for them nearer to home without constant trekking to the Fens. The Middle Level used to be the Zander mecca in the 90's but now the Severn has taken over and is regarded the best place for a record.

Ricco; most of my zander have been lure caught, mostly at night. There are lots of lures to choose from, anything that catches pike will catch zander. If fishing at night use rattling type plugs. Try it, you will be surprised!

Edited by paul68

Zanders are still present here on the Middle Levels. The miserable gits apparently eat ducklings and other young water birds, so the more of them are disposed of by fishermen, the better.

Zanders are still present here on the Middle Levels. The miserable gits apparently eat ducklings and other young water birds, so the more of them are disposed of by fishermen, the better.

Yes I know, I still fish the system. I doubt it's zander that's responsible for taking ducklings, almost certainly pike.

Thanks for the replies!

It's strange, zander having been in the midlands canals for so many years, and the canals being interlinked, that they haven't spread further. I'm in Cheshire, my local canal is the Macclesfield where to the best of my knowledge, they don't exist at all. 70-80 miles in several decades, I'm surprised it hasn't happened!

Thanks for the replies!

It's strange, zander having been in the midlands canals for so many years, and the canals being interlinked, that they haven't spread further. I'm in Cheshire, my local canal is the Macclesfield where to the best of my knowledge, they don't exist at all. 70-80 miles in several decades, I'm surprised it hasn't happened!

They are not good at the locks though. Zanders are known for that. ;))

Of the targets mentioned I'd have though a 3lb perch would be the biggest challenge ?

I would have thought a genuine 20lb pike would be harder. Perch have benefitted greatly from feeding on American Signal Crayfish. On certain canals, a 3lber would be easy to attain.

Incidently being a boater may give you a great advantage - the pike will follow the bream into the marina's.

Here is one I caught (few years back) near a marina I'll let you guess the weight.

242lbpluspike_zps18718947.jpg

Edited by mark99

Very intersting. When I was a keen angler as a teenager, zander was a rare fish found only in rivers, but ISTR the biggest tended to be in the region of 40lb. Also known back then as a 'perch-pike' IIRC. Not sure why as I don't think it is a cross between the two.

Electro-fishers?? What's that all about then?

MtB

Zander do look exactly like a cross between a Pike and a Perch but they (Zander) are a seperate species. They used to be nicknamed Pike Perch but they ain't.

I reckon your memory (if it's like mine) may have got mixed up with the Pike record which stood at about 40lb for many years with a fish caught by Hancock from Horsey Mere.

Yes I know, I still fish the system. I doubt it's zander that's responsible for taking ducklings, almost certainly pike.

Agree - the Zander is is low light, night feeder with a relatively delicate small mouth. In angling circles I cannot recall any myths regarding Zander taking birds - but Pike - yes; I've seen a coot (yes a coot and they are big) taken by a pike = it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

Pike also have been reported taking ducklings and rats as well as other fish (documented) so large relative to themselves, they have choked to death. (Pike photographed washed up dead choked with same size pike also dead with head inside first pike).

Edited by mark99

When I buy my boat and start continuously cruising I'm going to set myself a target of specimen perch, pike and zander, all lure fishing. I'm going to set the perch at 3lb and the pike at 20lb. I've a good idea where to spend time trying to achieve these goals, no problem.

But the zander.. living in the north I've never seen one, never mind caught one. I realise that I'll need to head for the midlands (at least). But what weight might I aim for, one that is exceptional, but possible? And could anyone suggest a canal that might hold such zander?

Thanks for any replies.

Oxford canal past Banbury going north.

Thanks for the replies!

The Macclesfield Canal is just over 26 miles long so I assume you are talking about other canals too? Fish would have to swim uphill through many locks to reach the Macc from the midlands.

Many years ago I was moored at the bottom of Bosley locks when the the angling club, who owned the rights on the upper Macc, netted the length from the R Dane Aqueduct to Bosley Bottom lock. They took away all the roach, perch etc in tanks,. BUT, they threw all the live pike over the hedge into the adjoining field ....... not very humane?

The lower Macc was re-stocked some years ago after a local mill in Congleton accidently relased loads of molasses into the canal ........... but they restocked with ghost carp rather than *traditional* canal fish stock. Many of those carp are now over 20lbs.

Match anglers seem to prefer catching a netfull of tiny gudgeon.

Strange sport!

Edited by PhilR

The Macclesfield Canal is just over 26 miles long so I assume you are talking about other canals too? Fish would have to swim uphill through many locks to reach the Macc from the midlands.

Carp in particulatar move up and down through locks. Not sure about Zander.

Strange sport!

Stranger pastime than buying a beat up old boat, making yourself skint and swanning about on a canal doing nothing? not much in it I reckon.

Plenty of Zander in the Severn (the navigable reaches, anyway), and also in the Avon. One was unlucky enough to get caught while we were having a pig roast a few years ago.

It made an excellent appetiser when cooked on the shovel over the fire!

Zander are meant to be excellent eating. I do know someone who fishes for them quite a lot for the eating.

In fact on certain canals you could have quite a free banquet from foreign invaders. Use a dropnet (baited with a small tin of catfood punctured) to catch a few Signal Crays for starters whilst angling for a small zander. Rummage through the hedgerows for some seasonal fruit.

Zander are meant to be excellent eating. I do know someone who fishes for them quite a lot for the eating.

In fact on certain canals you could have quite a free banquet from foreign invaders. Use a dropnet (baited with a small tin of catfood punctured) to catch a few Signal Crays for starters whilst angling for a small zander. Rummage through the hedgerows for some seasonal fruit.

I used to fish for Zander and Pike in the Bucks/Beds area as an idol yoof. Zander are excelent eating. Much less 'muddy' than pike.

These days I get my supplys from a lokal yoof of similar ilk fishing Severn an Wye. He flogs the pike to gastro pubs but gives me the Z fish 'cause there's no interest. They don't know what their missing.