boat hook query !

normanmarshman

Featured Posts

You can also use them to push on the opposite wall of a broad lock, to keep your boat firmly to your side whilst someone faffs about for ages trying to aim down the gap beside you, (simply take the shaft away at the last moment).

I must try that, but surely it's keeping the front in place that's trickier?

Or buy a sui

I must try that, but surely it's keeping the front in place that's trickier?

Let the other boat push it across wink.png

Tim

Or buy a suitably short boat!

Seriously though, I can usually keep my front end against the wall, but the back end regularly gets "paddle wheeled" away.

Trouble is you get used to one set of names for stuff then somebody tells you you're wrong. I first encountered a big Northwich in Bristol Harbour being used as a trip boat. Everybody referred to Redshank as a long boat, all canal boats were longboats. Logical enough . Outside of the south west folks foam at the mouth if you dare to refer to a longboat. I still think its a fair description of the type.

Let the other boat push it across ;)

Tim

Yeah, but it doesn't look cool.

I was practising with Koukouvagia last week who seemed to be able to keep the front in whilst bringing the back round with ease. He did tell me how but I haven't mastered it. So I just let him go first.

[where are the emoticons when you're quoting? Things have changed!]

I was practising with Koukouvagia last week who seemed to be able to keep the front in whilst bringing the back round with ease. He did tell me how but I haven't mastered it. So I just let him go first.

When you reply / start a thread two task bars are displayed at the top of the window. Click on smile.png and an emoticon task bar will appear at the bottom of the window.

Click on "show all" to see the full range of emoticons.

FWIW the majority of my boating as a young man was offshore where the object under discussion is called a boat hook, this is what it gets called on our boat.

Edited by Ray T

Stuff the bow against the cill

When you reply / start a thread two task bars are displayed at the top of the window. Click on :) and an emoticon task bar will appear at the bottom of the window.

Click on "show all" to see the full range of emoticons.

FWIW the majority of my boating as a young man was offshore where the object under discussion is called a boat hook, this is what it gets called on our boat.

But when I reply direct to a post using the 'quote' button, that bar doesn't appear?

Stuff the bow against the cill

Yes, that was the gist of it!

Trouble is you get used to one set of names for stuff then somebody tells you you're wrong. I first encountered a big Northwich in Bristol Harbour being used as a trip boat. Everybody referred to Redshank as a long boat, all canal boats were longboats. Logical enough . Outside of the south west folks foam at the mouth if you dare to refer to a longboat. I still think its a fair description of the type.

Yup, our boat Willow is a Longboat, technically, having been built for the Severn.

• 4 weeks later...

Well...... Mine is a window pole. an oak and brass window pole scavenged from an old primary school with the high tip and tilt windows, looks like a boat hook, smells like a short pole, can be used as a cabin shaft. ....but it's a window pole!

Edited by Jim Riley

The smilies are indeed not working. I just get that annoying little box with a question mark in the middle on the page when I select one. It was like this this morning.

I used a cabin hook 12 times in a week just fishing a spaniel puppy out of the cut one holiday by Aynho once. It had seen the (admittedly muddy) canal and thought oh, solid surface, and jumped in. The first time. After that, being a spaniel, she discovered she liked it.

And dried off on MY bunk.

• 8 months later...

many thanks, point taken

jm smile.png

You can also use the angle between point and hook to offer up a coil of line to someone above or to the side of you, or to lift a coil from a peg on a dolphin. It could be shaped better for these purposes, but it works.

There are some modern boathooks with a head that resembles an inverted W; two blunt points with a hollow between facing out, and one on either side of the shaft facing back toward the user.

We don't use our hook for picking up buoys either. It's easier to get our stern near the pick up and pick it up by hand then gently let the boat sit back.

Can't say it would have been much use in any of our man over board situations either.

I'm sure we will find a use for it one day other than hanging rubbish bags from!

over here on the river shannon or when using any lock for that matter,if there is a lock keeper in attendance,the correct procedure is to ''pass'' the rope to them and not to throw it. presumably to stop them being hit in the eyes.When passing through a very deep lock the best way to do this is to coil it around boat hook and send it up that way.

Hi All,

Have purchased a long pole and a cast iron doofer that sits on the end - it has a curled hook, which ofcourse will be handy for pulling, but what's the straight poket finger-like part for ?

Puzzled !

Cheers J

just a small word of warning.in my experience the pole and the ''doofer'' were sold seperately so i shaved the end of the pole down and fitted the doofer and then down the line i painted the pole up all sweet and gaudy but had neglected to seal the shaved area where the doofer was fitted and the weather got to it and it rotted which only came to my attention one day when it snapped off at the doofer while i was going astern for about a half a mile single handed.When things like that happen in the wrong place at the wrong time they can lead to trouble.

so seal the doofer end of your pole/shaft or whatever you like to call it....paul

It's a pity, IMHO that the old terminology is seldom used except among us grumpy oldies. Sorry!

Dave

I agree with you. It's sad that the old terminology is dying out. I've no problem with people using whatever terms they like but I think it's important to remember the old ones. Eg. Paddles were known as "cloughs" (pronounced as in cows), pounds were "pools" on the L & L, I thinks pounds were called "ponds" on the Ashton Canal. On the Aire & Calder some of the ground paddle were called "types", fanshafts, boat hooks, were called "stowers", the "y" shaped end was known as a "grains" etc etc.

Be a good idea to create a glossary before these terms a re completely forgotten I think.

It's a pity, IMHO that the old terminology is seldom used except among us grumpy oldies. Sorry!

I wholly agree.

The worst offences I hear constantly are 'lock key' for windlass, and 'turning point' for winding 'ole. And 'barge pole' for longshaft, obviously!

Your glossary idea is a good one too. I've not heard any of the terms you mention in your second paragraph.

MtB

MtB