boat hook query !

normanmarshman

Featured Posts

Good call!

Already done, in History and Heritage forum.

Here's a good one the "ceiling" in a Humber keel is the inner wall of the hull! The "deckhead" is what people would think of as the ceiling.

The floorboards in the cargo area are "shutts" but in the keelman's cabin are "dennings"

Interestingly, the false floors in a Thames barge were ceilings.

I'll add these to the glossary when I get a chance.

Already done, in History and Heritage forum.

Interestingly, the false floors in a Thames barge were ceilings.

I'll add these to the glossary when I get a chance.

Hold linings generally are Ceilings, it's a proper nautical/shipbuilding term. Shutts are the false 'floor' in Narrow Boats as well. 'Floors' are something totally different on a boat.

Tim

Having done quite a bit of punting years ago, I reckon a punt pole would be a useful general purpose implement on a narrow boat. For those who've not used one, it's a 17ft pole of about 2" diameter, with an S-shaped hook on the end. Being designed for punting, its main purpose is to push against the river bed at varying depths, with a little sideways movement at the end of the stroke to help adjust course. However the S shape hook makes it very useful for pushing and pulling anything on the bank. With a pole that long you do have to think what you're doing when around bridges; I've seen one splintered apart when a dozy friend of mine poling downstream on the Cherwell caught the top end in the ironwork of a footbridge and pulled against the bottom end to stop the punt drifting on under him. Basically you don't want to be using one as a lever, especially on a heavy vessel like a narrow boat, but it would be a very handy thing for someone at the bow to have when turning.

Having done quite a bit of punting years ago, I reckon a punt pole would be a useful general purpose implement on a narrow boat. For those who've not used one, it's a 17ft pole of about 2" diameter, with an S-shaped hook on the end. Being designed for punting, its main purpose is to push against the river bed at varying depths, with a little sideways movement at the end of the stroke to help adjust course. However the S shape hook makes it very useful for pushing and pulling anything on the bank. With a pole that long you do have to think what you're doing when around bridges; I've seen one splintered apart when a dozy friend of mine poling downstream on the Cherwell caught the top end in the ironwork of a footbridge and pulled against the bottom end to stop the punt drifting on under him. Basically you don't want to be using one as a lever, especially on a heavy vessel like a narrow boat, but it would be a very handy thing for someone at the bow to have when turning.

Very sought after amongst boaters here, as they get washed downstream from the punting area above Jesus lock.

I believe the original boathook was not so much a boating accessory as ancillary to the operation of a boat from an anchored ship. Should you see a launch from a warship there will be a man standing in the bow with a boathook held smartly vertical. The idea was (and for all I know still is) that upon approaching the ship the boathook would be pushed through the mooring chains dangling from the boat booms for this purpose, given a quarter turn and used to pull the boat in so it can be tied. The only time I have used one on a narrowboat was to hook onto a set of chains in Bristol harbour. I have seen chains looped along the walls of canal tunnels and would imagine the original use of the "cabin shaft" may have been to hook onto these to pull the boat through as an alternative to legging. In my yachting days I used one frequently to pick up a mooring and Phylis' picking it up by hand is not often possible given a swell and the handling of a boat under sail.