rude boat names

magnetman

Featured Posts

There is a point when someone's humorous boat name is someone else's offensive term.

Eg there is a boat I have seen on the Thames called ' up yaws which to me is rude.

Is there a control or can you use any words you want?

My answer to 'up yaws in the height of summer with loads of boats waiting for a bottleneck lock is 'far queue'

Some friends of mine had this problem and complained to BW about some of the names used. Hugh and his girlfriend Tess even started an online petition about it. Can't remember the url or even if it's still active, but if you 'google' Mr Jarse and Miss Tickles names it should work.

There is a point when someone's humorous boat name is someone else's offensive term.

Eg there is a boat I have seen on the Thames called ' up yaws which to me is rude.

Is there a control or can you use any words you want?

My answer to 'up yaws in the height of summer with loads of boats waiting for a bottleneck lock is 'far queue'

I find one at Spode House quite offensive. A small grp called R Swipe.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Haha 1

Or Far Canal?

Your comment reminded me of a tale my Dad used to tell of his very early days working for what we all now know as The Job Centre. He was sent "front of desk" to try and manage the queues as they were out of the door. The queue towards the end of the desk had been overlooked by people arriving and so he stood in the middle of the hall, put on his very best wet behind the ears assertive voice and said loudly "Far queue, far Queue" ............. I think you will all know the responses he got - almost in unison!

• Love 1

Llamedos was featured on Water World many years ago IIRC, and I don't think its the only boat with that name.

My aunt n uncle (years ago) called their house that when it was all the rage to have a name for your house :)

But seriously I don't see an issue with these 'phonetic' boat names myself - it's not like you've got to live on it!

Norfolk Enchants lives in Wroxham.

Some of these names are obviously not very well thought out though as you wouldnt use them on the VHF.

We have a Sunseeker called Rescue Me moor near us which always causes amusement on the airwaves.

I saw a boat named DILLIGAF. It seemed at first a quirky name perhaps formed from a mix of two peoples names or some such at until it dawned on me that it was one of those acronyms beloved of text messages etc. Well, I was born in a more innocent time and have led a sheltered life.rolleyes.gif

Edited by churchward

"Kinelle"

A grp boat belonging to a very feisty lady who had camped out at Greenham Common airbase for many a month- this was a long time ago when people ( in particular ladies) did not generally know or use such expressions.

I used to live in a house with that name over the door. In fact, it was Kinelle II, I never found out where Kinelle 1 was

Richard