What are your top crewing tips?

Salopgal

Featured Posts

Brilliant! All balanced advice, very fair and ALL very much appreciated!

I can see that I have been erring on the side of extreme caution and I knew my post might cause some differing of opinion, but in the final analysis it's not my boat (it's my Mum's) and I am a complete novice, so I guess I'm trying to cover all eventualities. Still, after reading your posts, I think I might not email my draft to my cousin as he's very much a free spirit and he might take offence!

It will be interesting to see how the day plays out. Looks like rain (boo).

Don't worry, I won't take beer!

Cheers one and all - you are amazing!

Love to all, K x

One point - if your boat has a side hatch then close it for locks. It is possible a leaky lock will allow a jet of filthy canal water go through the hatch and make a big puddle inside your boat. It is also possible for side hatch doors to get hung up in a lock. Many are designed to lift off the top hinges just in case but not all.

I think your list is good. reading it through before hand will mean that between the crew most things should lodge somewhere in one of their brains but don't get too stressed about it is things do not run smoothly, so long as everyone stays safe most other things can be laughed off.

Enjoy yourselves.

One thing I'd say, is that when in locks always look at the steerer for any hand signals. Especially when going up, don't lift any paddle until he gives you a signal to say "OK", and then keep watching him. It's easy to get distracted by all the other interesting things around you, but it is you who controls what happens to the boat in the lock and the steerer can do little more than wave at you and hope

As someone has already said, the bywashes on the llan are a bit fierce at times. This means that your boat will clonk the side of the lock entry sometimes, and the steering will go haywire as he bywash hits first the front and then the back of the boat. The really important thing to remember is that this doesn't matter (it's why you are made of quite a thick chunk of steel) and it isn't anyone's fault!

Wear proper shoes (i.e. not flip flops, you might have to climb up ladders), bring proper waterproofs - don't do what my Aussie mates did and show up dressed for a yacht in Cannes in a heatwave. Wear layers so you can either strip off or wrap up.

Don't stand at the side of the tiller when steering, if something happens that hits the rudder the tiller arm can throw you in.

If someone does fall in, please don't reverse backwards to pick them up. Engine off please, propellors can act like people blenders.

If you have to go down the weedhatch, turn off the enigne and put the keys in your pocket.

Hells teeth, you are over thinking it and the trip is likely to be spoilt by being a bit obsessive.

It's good to take things seriously to a point but you are trying condense months/years of experience into a short trip.

You did ask.....

I'd agree with this! You can not make rules for everything, by way of example whilst watching football last Saturday I spotted a young child (not mine) with his eye to a hole on the fence, and next to said hole a rusty nail at eye height he hadn't noticed... Where, in the risk assessment of watching football, is that one!

Some of your ideas are fundamental to safety, never leave a windlass on the spindle of a paddle, never get a body part between the boat and and other object.

I would add that, with a competent helmsman it is safer to get off at the back, not the front. If you slip twixt boat and bank at the front, there is little the Helmsman can do to save you.

Others are less about safety of people, you don't need to be too cautious on filling a lock, I can't remember the last time I didn't lift one ground paddle fully to get the process started, messing about with half and quarter isn't really necessary. The boat should be near the front of the lock anyway, and assuming the helmsman is at the tiller he or she is safe. The boat is made of steel, it will survive.

And it is good practice to set locks ahead when in a flight, so with a crew of three or more, one steering, one or more at the lock the boat is in, one at the next lock.

However, the number one rule is enjoy yourself, with the caveat of keeping your eyes open and mind on the task in hand

The locks on the bit of the llangollen you're doing are relatively shallow (as in, the rise and fall isn't that big) so they're not like many others and fully opening the paddles going up is fine.

Loads of people have already posted loads of suggestions so nothing much to add really, except don't worry too much, make sure there's tea making facilities, and use a bit of common sense eg getting on/off the boat at locks etc and not rushing anything.

One thing we've always done and like having to hand, is the latest Pearson's guide. Useful to know if/when a swing bridge or lock is around the corner, to plan tea drinking in the gaps, etc.

As ‘Janet S’ says, I doubt there is anything said so far that any boater would disagree with but I suppose every boater will relate to one or other tip more than the others.

Personally, I’m with ‘Catrin’ regarding checking that the last boat through did what they were supposed to. My partner and I are very different, I always assume that the last boat through got it all wrong, my partner always assumes they got it all right, consequently, on several occasions she has tried filling a chamber with bottom paddles open.

I have also learnt not to be pushed around in ‘my’ lock.

Just a few weeks ago at Fradley, a guy coming up behind me went to fill the chamber without asking or checking with me (I was single handing at the time) and I had to ask him to wait while I tied my centre line off to a post to stop the boat getting dragged forward into the gates. I am very deep draughted and on some locks get initially pushed back then very violently sucked forward and unless tied off can do nothing to stop the boat smacking hard into the gates, I like to tie it off. I explained this and he replied “don’t worry I have spent most of my life on the canals, I am an expert and will bring you up gently”, “nevertheless” I said, “I’ll tie it off”. “You’re treating it all wrong” he said fitting his windlass to the paddle gear, I know what I’m doing. “Stop! It’s my lock, my boat and you should respect me doing it my way”. I told you he said look watch.....” At that stage I have to say I lost my temper and told him to “F@*$ off”.

He actually still argued with me but didn’t touch the paddle gear again, must have been something he saw in my eyes!

I then suggested that he pass me by and leave me in peace but that wasn’t necessary as he was turning down the Coventry.

So I would say, remember you are in charge, the world is full of “experts” but a true expert will never feel it necessary to tell you he/she is one!

• Greenie 1

Never having had a crew, it's a good question.

I don't think I would cope

I would guess, let each adopt a role that they enjoy and then they are not to interfere with someone else's role.

No back seat drivers!

I've seen many crew shouting orders at each other

But many others effortlessly working together because they have a routine that works.

It should be fun and good humoured.

You have a seasoned skipper, put him/her in charge and learn.

And don't forget to drink as much as you can, for much of the time!

As Janet S says, I doubt there is anything said so far that any boater would disagree with but I suppose every boater will relate to one or other tip more than the others.

Personally, Im with Catrin regarding checking that the last boat through did what they were supposed to. My partner and I are very different, I always assume that the last boat through got it all wrong, my partner always assumes they got it all right, consequently, on several occasions she has tried filling a chamber with bottom paddles open.

I have also learnt not to be pushed around in my lock.

Just a few weeks ago at Fradley, a guy coming up behind me went to fill the chamber without asking or checking with me (I was single handing at the time) and I had to ask him to wait while I tied my centre line off to a post to stop the boat getting dragged forward into the gates. I am very deep draughted and on some locks get initially pushed back then very violently sucked forward and unless tied off can do nothing to stop the boat smacking hard into the gates, I like to tie it off. I explained this and he replied dont worry I have spent most of my life on the canals, I am an expert and will bring you up gently, nevertheless I said, Ill tie it off. Youre treating it all wrong he said fitting his windlass to the paddle gear, I know what Im doing. Stop! Its my lock, my boat and you should respect me doing it my way. I told you he said look watch..... At that stage I have to say I lost my temper and told him to F@*$ off.

He actually still argued with me but didnt touch the paddle gear again, must have been something he saw in my eyes!

I then suggested that he pass me by and leave me in peace but that wasnt necessary as he was turning down the Coventry.

So I would say, remember you are in charge, the world is full of experts but a true expert will never feel it necessary to tell you he/she is one!

Good point,

There are people willing to interfere.

Be ready to use your windlass brutally.

"You are more important than the boat"

used when it's time to let go of the rope rather than be pulled in, and similar circumstances. The boat can drift and be recovered, bounce off the wall or whatever, but your safety (and that of the rest of the crew) takes priority over the welfare of the boat.

Praise for a job well done, first lock, swing bridge, etc makes for a strong team. Ridicule just make the individual feel worthless and less likely to make a good team member.

Enjoy the experience and watch your little team grow in confidence as you work together to overcome the little challenges that the cut throws your way.

1. Beware of wind direction. In strong winds you'll need a bit more engine power to crab walk in a straight line.

2. Pointless having the middle rope curled up in the middle of the boat. Run it from the middle back to you at the stern. That way you can grab it, jump off, holding it in one hand, or easily throw it to someone on the towpath

3. A wireless doorbell is good for calling crew who are sitting chatting indoors while you are standing at the tiller wishing they could hear your banging on the roof.

4. Do you know how to check the weed hatch for stuff around the prop. Make sure you turn your engine off when sticking hands down. Make sure you reseal it before starting the engine again.

5. Keep your stern away from the lock gate cill. Boats get sunk by getting caught on the cill when going down, and getting the bow caught under a lock gate crossbar when going up.

6. Are the locks you're going through big fat ones or thin long ones. The thin ones have a habit of throwing the boat hard forward against the front gates. In wide locks, be carefull when filling...the boat can get thrown to the side at times.

7. Take it slow. There is a tendancy to floor it...when chasing a deadline. Dont...you'll get stressed.

8. You'll gain some time if one of the crew goes ahead and sets oncoming locks in your favour. It's nice to be able to move from one lock directly into the next, without having to faff around inside a pound between locks..especially if there's wind.

9. Fill up with water and empty the toilets before you leave.

10. Take raincoat and gloves in case it rains.

11. Wear shoes with decent tread.

12. Oil for the engine. Check diesel level.

:)

You won't get far without a BW Sanny key. Prevent accidents like walking into locks and lamposts by banning the use of ALL forms of mobile phones, mobile music, Blue-teeth ear plug gizmo device things with dangling wires ect, frisk search your crew for em before setting off.

Its a long way to go to suddenly remember halfway through the trip that you might have left a window open or left the kettle on at home, these thoughts can ruin your trip. smile.png

Some great advice already given and I have a couple more bits which I don't think have bee covered?

1. In a flight of locks, if there's a boat in the next lock coming the other way, wait until it is leaving the lock before you leave your lock. That way you should usually be able to pass each other slowly and easily without having to faff about holdng your boat in mid-stream or pulling over to the bank.

2. Just before leaving a lock the person at the tiller should check that your crew have closed all the paddles.

3. Enjoy your first cruise. When you see all this together with what you learnt on the course it probably seems a bit daunting, but once you've been underway for a few hours it will beginto become second nature. You'll still have to concentrate of course, but it will get easier.

DeanS advice about needing more engine power in strong winds is important, as I experienced first hand on the Llangollen a few years ago. In strong winds some obviously novice boaters turned out of Chirk marina in front of us, and nervously chugged along on tickover. Very soon they were crashing into the bank, and worse still into moored boats. Oblivious to protestations and shouts of advice from people they carried on, until they eventually admitted defeat and headed for the bank (intentionally this time). I didn't hang around to find out what happened so I don't know whether they gave up or carried on when the wind subsided.

Increasing the power (speed) increases the flow of water passing the rudder and so makes the steering more positive. I find this particularly useful when making tight turns at places like junctions. Not full pelt particularly, but just a few quick bursts.

This is definitely meant as a tip, not an admonition, but anyway:

My cousin and I will be crewing with a seasoned skipper at the helm, so 3 of us in total.

This is the inland waterways, not the sea. There's no "skipper"... just someone who is better at bluffing it than you are. You're all in it together.

Don't let some bugger sit in the bottom of the lock smirking over his cup of coffee while you do all the running. If the bloke at the bottom of the lock thinks he's more experienced than you, that's the perfect reason why you deserve more time at the tiller. :)

• Greenie 1