Bona Fide Navigation

bowten

Featured Posts

Having read through the threads relating to CCers,CMers and LiveaboardsI came upon a post relating to the responsibilities of the Master,Owner or Captain of a vessel.It said something along the lines that the Master of the vessel must be sure that to navigate the river or canal he would not be putting himself,crew,passengers,vessel or the infrastructure of said waterway in danger.So this is the question,if I was the Master of the vessel and it was almost impossible to navigate through swing bridges because I am the sole crew member for example,would it be said that I am not using my boat for bona fide navigation or would this be classed as a suitable reason for cruising within a more defined area.I am using the example of swing bridges because in this area they are decrepit, unserviceable and some cannot be done by a single hander because there is no place to disembark.Please discuss,use humour if you need to and the law if your are able.

Having read through the threads relating to CCers,CMers and LiveaboardsI came upon a post relating to the responsibilities of the Master,Owner or Captain of a vessel.It said something along the lines that the Master of the vessel must be sure that to navigate the river or canal he would not be putting himself,crew,passengers,vessel or the infrastructure of said waterway in danger.So this is the question,if I was the Master of the vessel and it was almost impossible to navigate through swing bridges because I am the sole crew member for example,would it be said that I am not using my boat for bona fide navigation or would this be classed as a suitable reason for cruising within a more defined area.I am using the example of swing bridges because in this area they are decrepit, unserviceable and some cannot be done by a single hander because there is no place to disembark.Please discuss,use humour if you need to and the law if your are able.

Are, straws, clutching, at, you. Arrange these words in a more suitable sentence.

In my opinion it is not a suitable reason as you put it to just stay put or navigate a more narrow area. The alternative is to get some help if needed and move on from that area to one that is more suitable for a single hander and carry on you cruising. Unless there is a reason for you to stay in that area?

I am nor sure why I am replying really as I am sure you are aware of the sensitive nature of what you are posting about and that this thread will not end well.

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 4

The fatal flaw in your cunning plan is that it is possible to do swing bridges single handed, and I have video evidence to prove it..... :P

Report yourself for overstaying and, when the patrol officer arrives to attach a notice, ask him to hold the bridge open for you.

Sorted.

Haha brilliant. Greenie to the first person to try that and post the outcome on here!

The fatal flaw in your cunning plan is that it is possible to do swing bridges single handed, and I have video evidence to prove it..... :P

bet them car drivers waiting nearly 15 mins thought it was a fine bit of boat handling too...

A very slight diversion...

What if a boat is only able to navigate over a much reduced range due to poor maintenance of the waterway???

I am aware of two examples on the K&A.

One boat claims he is unable to navigate due to lack of dredging.

He may or may not be "trying hard enough" but after years of hassle from BW and CRT is now moving to the land.

Just how hard is reasonable???? I personally confirm the long pound is very shallow in places.

In the other case a boat was purchased in good faith for use on the K&A, but at 13 foot 6 wide is not able to get through some locks as they are not maintained to 14 foot. This is a particularly sad case as the boat was built specifically for the K&A by the previous owner.

...........Dave

Dear Churchward,nothing seems to end well on here.In october whilst cruising we came across the swing bridge just outside Silsden,it took 4 men to move it.

You bloody would! :rolleyes:

What if a boat is only able to navigate over a much reduced range due to poor maintenance of the waterway???

He may or may not be "trying hard enough" but after years of hassle from BW and CRT is now moving to the land.

Just how hard is reasonable???? I personally confirm the long pound is very shallow in places.

In the other case a boat was purchased in good faith for use on the K&A, but at 13 foot 6 wide is not able to get through some locks as they are not maintained to 14 foot. This is a particularly sad case as the boat was built specifically for the K&A by the previous owner.

...........Dave

Sad indeed! :(

Are, straws, clutching, at, you. Arrange these words in a more suitable sentence.

In my opinion it is not a suitable reason as you put it to just stay put or navigate a more narrow area. The alternative is to get some help if needed and move on from that area to one that is more suitable for a single hander and carry on you cruising. Unless there is a reason for you to stay in that area?

I am nor sure why I am replying really as I am sure you are aware of the sensitive nature of what you are posting about and that this thread will not end well.

No greenies please for this reply.

...........Dave

Dave, which locks would that be?

Dave (another one!)

...........Dave

Being a slight pedant they should be maintained to allow passage of boats up to 13 foot 8 inches, although a 13 foot 6 inch boat should still pass through them. the Kennet and Avon is not a standard broad canal, if such a thing actually exists

I know one chamber at Devizes is distorted, other instances may be due to gates not opening fully or being a little bit fat. Where does he get stuck?

Being a slight pedant they should be maintained to allow passage of boats up to 13 foot 8 inches, although a 13 foot 6 inch boat should still pass through them. the Kennet and Avon is not a standard broad canal, if such a thing actually exists

I know one chamber at Devizes is distorted, other instances may be due to gates not opening fully or being a little bit fat. Where does he get stuck?

Well I worked two boats through the Devizes locks last Sunday and in every case both fitted in the (29) locks and both being 6'10" narrowboats =13' 10". I think there was a problem with one of the locks that meant boats had to enter singly but that has been sorted out during the last winter.

Dave

Well I worked two boats through the Devizes locks last Sunday and in every case both fitted in the (29) locks and both being 6'10" narrowboats =13' 10". I think there was a problem with one of the locks that meant boats had to enter singly but that has been sorted out during the last winter.Dave

Perhaps the problem lock was measured by the same person that added two boat widths together and gained a couple of inches?

• Greenie 1

I don't think he's actually tried yet, too put off by all the warnings that he will get horribly stuck!

His main concern was the Seend flight. I know the bottom gates will not open fully/are narrow on one of them, we got spectacularly jammed with a hireboat a few years ago (another story for another day but it came very close to someone getting murdered!)

It sounds like the Devizes lock (38???) might be fixed, it certainly wasn't last November (sounds like we make a habit of getting stuck in dodgy locks).

I guess Guyer's would be a problem too if they wanted to explore the Eastern end!

...........Dave

i know exactly what you mean bowten i have the same problems with the swing bridges on the leeds and liverpool, i suggest doing what i do. getting members of the general public involved, including drivers of cars its how i get by.

regards kris

Why did the bloke in the video pull the boat back over to the side of the canal, when he could have just got back on it where it was after the bridge was closed, or am i missing something blatantly obvious?

Can't say for sure but after he pulls the boat over the access from the offside looks difficult. Easier to pull the boat over to where it is safer. He looks as if he knows what he is doing to me.

Perhaps the problem lock was measured by the same person that added two boat widths together and gained a couple of inches?

As one of the boats was very old, and held together with real rivets!, I made allowance for the fact that it may have spread by a couple of inches.

Dave