Washing ropes

Top cat

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend the best way of washing ropes ? Ours have gone green over the winter.

thanks

TC

Assuming you have man-made fibre ropes:

Give them a quick soak and a scrub to get the worst off.

Hank or coil them up reasonably neatly, but not too tight. Put them in a pillow case, not too full, and then wash on a 40 deg or cooler synthetics wash in non-bio detergent. You won't need a lot of detergent unless they are very greasy. Extra rinse if available on your machine.

Hang out to dry thoroughly.

Natural fibre would be much the same but you mught need to use a longer/hotter wash.

Alternatively just tow them behind for 10-15 miles, changing ends at half-way.

N

I thought this was about washing rope for hanging clothes , i cant believe people actually wash ropes , is this mooring ropes .

:lol: perhaps you could try smearing the ropes in something to attract the colour of algae to match your boat!

I thought this was about washing rope for hanging clothes , i cant believe people actually wash ropes , is this mooring ropes .

Ropes on a boat are more correctly called lines, so he should have titled the thread "Washing Lines". That would have avoided any confusion

• Greenie 1

Ropes on a boat are more correctly called lines, so he should have titled the thread "Washing Lines". That would have avoided any confusion

Very good :)

I thought they were painters? ;)

I put each of my mooring lines in a pillow case and tied the top with a cable tie to make sure they stayed in the bag.

Lines came out beautifully clean

I then washed all the pillow cases to wash out the dirty streaks left behind in the scrunched up bit after I cut the cable ties

I second the method of ropes in pillow case in the washing machine, it works well.

Someone told me that adding a bit of fabric softener really helps. I tried this and it is a BAD idea.

It makes the ropes lovely and soft to handle, but so soft and flexible that any splicing starts to unravel.

............Dave

I've taken all my ropes off to wash them. How do I get my boat back....

If the washing machine is still running, the boat is still connected to shore by its electric cable. Stand on something insulated and pull gently on the cable.

There are many different names for "ropes" on a boat, only one is called a rope and that is the bell ROPE if you have one fitted.

Dave

There are many different names for "ropes" on a boat, only one is called a rope and that is the bell ROPE if you have one fitted.

Dave

Now, I know that is true for sea going boats. Is it actually true for inland waterways?

Richard

I have used a pressure washer for cleaning ropes it is quite effective.

a painter is the front warp specifically on a dinghy :)

and on bw work flats ropes were formally known as 'string' :rolleyes:

Edited by magnetman

Yes, the instructions forgot to mention that. It is best to secure your boat first by sinking it

Richard

You're lucky that this isn't an American forum, as someone may take your instructions to the letter, and then sue you for the damage.

But I like it.

Peter.

Of course some boaters have ropes that dont have time to attract algae.

I have used a pressure washer for cleaning ropes it is quite effective.

a painter is the front warp specifically on a dinghy :)

and on bw work flats ropes were formally known as 'string' :rolleyes:

I beg to differ MM 'Tatty string'

Edited by Maffi

Dave

Although the material lines are made may be rope, (generally only if it is laid, not braided) as well as some fenders and mats. So you can have a spare coil of rope but also spare line which can be the same thing!

Don

Edited by DandV