Security - advice needed

DomX

Featured Posts

Hi All,

With a recent spate of narrowboat burglaries on the K&A, we're getting a little concerned ahead of a week away on the canal at the end of the month. Our boat has, as most do, nothing more than a relatively small padlock to secure the hatch and doors at the stern. I'm conscious that anyone with bolt cutters could remove it pretty quickly, so we need to do something pronto!

The hole in the hatch cover that the padlock goes through is quite small, so we can't simply put a beefier padlock on the boat. I'd welcome advice from those of you with more experience on what could be done to make it harder for thieves to break into our pride and joy. One idea I had was to put some sort of movement alarm over the padlock. We have a stern cover, so anyone who wanted to break in would have to open that up first and therefore some sort of alarm attached to the padlock might be a good idea.

Thanks in advance,

Dom.

My son was a recent victim and has taken advice from someone in the trade. He has made boat a lot more secure for not much outlay. The police along the k&a have not ruled out the possibilty that the break ins are by homeless people looking for a bed for the night as in many cases either nothing is stolen or just food is taken. They also seem to think it happens more on colder nights.

I doubt you will manage to make your boat impregnable with just a new lock or two. The cordless angle grinder has made padlocks quite vulnerable, at Kintbury i've heard the crims are walking upto boats and knocking on the roof, if nobody answers they nip in and out quick, broad daylight as well, if somebodies in they just apologise and say they were looking for somebody else. A strong screwdiver is enough to get into alot of boats, via windows and side hatches, without getting anywhere near a door.

Being a little 'street wise' will count for more IMO, if you are worried make sure you keep valuables locked away on your boat or take them with you when you leave the boat, leave a light on and a radio playing if you nip out to the pub/shops. Keep your genny and pushbikes locked up, moor up near others, get to know them, try to avoid regular patterns of behavior, mark your goods so you can recognise them, if you're in a pub and someone asks where you're moored, be a little vague, you never know why they ask!

Just common sense really

This latest spate of thefts on the k&a its not a new thing really IME it just happens time to time.

Good luck, enjoy your weeks holiday, don't let the baddies ruin it!

Paul

You also have to bear in mind that the harder you make it to break into, the more damage gets done when someone does. It does seem that a lot of it at this time of year is homeless bods looking for somewhere to kip out of the cold - someone did mine a few years ago but luckily it was so easy to jemmy the door that no damage was done. I just got a bit of mud off his boots on the carpet.. and the next door boat's sugar bowl left on mine for some reason! Mine must have had the teabags.

He had a cup of tea, kipped out on the bed, didn't touch the booze or the money that was lying about. Nothing to wory about really. But the boat next door got their steel hatch badly bent when he got in there, which cost a fair bit in repairs. It really isn't possible to make a narrowboat secure, unless you weld up the windows, for a start...

Hi All,

With a recent spate of narrowboat burglaries on the K&A, we're getting a little concerned ahead of a week away on the canal at the end of the month. Our boat has, as most do, nothing more than a relatively small padlock to secure the hatch and doors at the stern. I'm conscious that anyone with bolt cutters could remove it pretty quickly, so we need to do something pronto!

The hole in the hatch cover that the padlock goes through is quite small, so we can't simply put a beefier padlock on the boat. I'd welcome advice from those of you with more experience on what could be done to make it harder for thieves to break into our pride and joy. One idea I had was to put some sort of movement alarm over the padlock. We have a stern cover, so anyone who wanted to break in would have to open that up first and therefore some sort of alarm attached to the padlock might be a good idea.

Thanks in advance,

Dom.

Alarmed Padlocks http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/130702093505?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Dom.

Buy or borrow a dog. Scumbags do not risk entering the boat even if its tail is wagging.

Tim

Perhaps I'm being paranoid about this but on our boat we are having a hidden compartment fitted to stow away the main laptop, but will leave the other less important laptop hidden from view but more accessible. The same goes for our safe-box. The important one will be hidden away and we will have another one with perhaps a bit on money in it, that would be more easily found.

Hopefully then if any lowlife thief manages to break in these will serve as decoys. Paranoid I may be, but if it gives me more peace of mind then it will be worth it.

Yesterday two people knocked on our boat I was at work but the better half went out to see who it was , when she did they asked where they were , my other half showed them on a map and asked where they were form they said the next village and did not seem to be interested in the map . They were well dressed and around 55-60 years old . Both had grey hair and he had a beard . We do not know if they were genuine but they were acting strange , I hope they return whilst im here so I can quiz them a bit.

Yesterday two people knocked on our boat I was at work but the better half went out to see who it was , when she did they asked where they were , my other half showed them on a map and asked where they were form they said the next village and did not seem to be interested in the map . They were well dressed and around 55-60 years old . Both had grey hair and he had a beard . We do not know if they were genuine but they were acting strange , I hope they return whilst im here so I can quiz them a bit.

Where abouts are you (roughly)? If you're on the K&A where they have been having problems recently, i would report that to the local plod. Sometimes the smallest peice of intelligence can be all that is needed as the final peice to a jigsaw.

This subject has been discussed previously on the forum but I'm blowed if I can find it to provide a link.

Anyway, there are numerous ways to deter a thief and some have already been mentioned on this thread. Normally, unless they are high as a kite on drugs, thieves hate to draw attention to themselves, especially at night. So, if your boat is moored online and you have some trees adjacent to your mooring, invest in a solar powered security light that will illuminate the boat if anyone approaches.

A security alarm with an external siren that's concealed somehow on the roof, will go a long way to frightening a thief away if he/she manages to get through a door. There are models available that can text your phone upon detecting uninvited entry into the boat.

A 12 volt timer is available on EBay that can be linked to one or more of your cabin lights, to give opportunist thieves the impression that there's someone on board when you are out or away from the boat for long periods to time.

My link

With regard to side hatches, Braidbar Boats have devised an effective locking latch that would make even forced entry difficult. These too are effective

on the fore and aft doors when you're on board. When leaving the boat one door can be secured and the other, at the point of exit, has to be secured externally.

Thieves also hate to be photographed. There are reasonably priced security cameras available now, that can be strategically placed to catch the culprit in the act. Prominently positioned stickers in the windows, advising the intruders that they are on camera will normally send them on their way to the next unfortunate boat that is less well protected.

The moral is, make it as hard as possible for the low life to take your hard earned goods or cash. Even though I was in the security business for over a decade, I still take chances and leave our bow doors unlocked if I'm near to the boat. That is when we are moored in our local village. Anywhere else and the locks are on, it only takes seconds for opportunist or professional thieves to be on and off the boat with anything close to hand. :angry:

Edited by Doorman

Where abouts are you (roughly)? If you're on the K&A where they have been having problems recently, i would report that to the local plod. Sometimes the smallest peice of intelligence can be all that is needed as the final peice to a jigsaw.

On the K&A near Sulhampstead , the boat behind us was broken into before we arrived and a computer was stolen , I am hoping to chat to the lady when I see her and tell her what happened . By the way if Mr/Mrs thief happens to read this please break in, the hound wont let you out without a few bite marks and thats no joke .

On the K&A near Sulhampstead , the boat behind us was broken into before we arrived and a computer was stolen , I am hoping to chat to the lady when I see her and tell her what happened . By the way if Mr/Mrs thief happens to read this please break in, the hound wont let you out without a few bite marks and thats no joke .

Would you please be good enough to take a few minutes, contact the local police, and give them descriptions of the two visitors.......

Would you please be good enough to take a few minutes, contact the local police, and give them descriptions of the two visitors.......

Good point, security in my view is making your boat look at first glance a harder target than the one next to it . Sad but true .

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Dom.

This week in Aldi

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_29573.htm

I will indeed I can't say anymore than what my other half told me but if you think it may help ill call them tomorrow

We have a stern cover, so anyone who wanted to break in would have to open that up first and therefore some sort of alarm attached to the padlock might be a good idea.

A pram hood or cratch cover gives the low life somewhere to work away at your door locks where they won't be seen.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Dom.

The biggest defence against burglary seems to be living on, or at least staying on, and moving, your boat regularly.

When I went away for Christmas I put NO visible padlocks on the boat as I usually would. I bolted my stern doors, that I normally exit and enter through, from the inside and went out through the cratch doors, which have a built-in lock, remembering to leave a spare key hidden in a locker. I put a small padlock on the outside too (it's needed to hold the doors together to lock). I was concerned that however thick, a padlock gives the wrong message, ie that I'm away, and if they really wanted to break in they could smash through a single-glazed window.

My neighbours also knew I was away and kept an eye on things for me.

It really isn't possible to make a narrowboat secure, unless you weld up the windows, for a start...

Or have portholes...

I disagree. If houses can be made secure why not boats?

It depends what you mean by "secure". Obviously not much is going to stand up to a cordless angle grinder, but some boats are much more secure than others and think it's quite possible to make a narrowboat relatively secure if you want to.

When beefing up the security of our house a few years ago after an attempted, unsuccessful burglary I was struck by the thought " If I loose my house keys when I am out, how do I get in"? Previously I knew a few weak spots that would allow entry without too much damage. These are now rectified.

The answer is fairly simple however, leave a set with a trusted neighbour, relative etc. This of course may not be so easy on a narrowboat. No I don't recommend a secret key beneath a flower pot or anywhere else for that matter.

My aim has always been to deter the opportunist, I know I will never stop a professional burglar.

It is worth considering, If I lost my keys how would I get in?

Edited by Ray T

My aim has always been to deter the opportunist, I know I will never stop a professional burglar.

It's all about deterring opportunists because fortunately most professional burglars don't bother with boats.

Is the current spate of break-ins on the K&A centred around a particular location or locations?

Edited by blackrose

When beefing up the security of our house a few years ago after an attempted, unsuccessful burglary I was struck by the thought " If I loose my house keys when I am out, how do I get in"? Previously I knew a few weak spots that would allow entry without too much damage. These are now rectified.

The answer is fairly simple however, leave a set with a trusted neighbour, relative etc. This of course may not be so easy on a narrowboat. No I don't recommend a secret key beneath a flower pot or anywhere else for that matter.

It is worth considering, If I lost my keys how would I get in?

wife /partner or just a friend has a set of keys. =D