Where are the most desirable moorings?

Zayna

Featured Posts

Bit of a vague question I know. But if you had a 57ft boat and you wanted to use it for long weekends a couple of dozen times a year, rather than spend 2 weeks on it twice a year, where would you moor?

Sorry, it sounds like a really stooooopid question and my head is spinning a bit, looking at maps.

I'm going to post this and see what happens.

I got like this when we had to move our boat from where we bought it, nearly had a thrombie over the logistics but it all turned out fine. It's just me...

:wacko:

You need to balance 2 aspects:

1) How near is it to your home?

2) How 'central' is it on the canal network, in terms of available short, 1 and 2 day routes.

Eventually, even with the best mooring, you'll have done all the local area routes several times, and might want to change it just for the sake of 'pastures new' to give a few more cruising routes.

• Greenie 1

Bit of a vague question I know. But if you had a 57ft boat and you wanted to use it for long weekends a couple of dozen times a year, rather than spend 2 weeks on it twice a year, where would you moor?

Sorry, it sounds like a really stooooopid question and my head is spinning a bit, looking at maps.

I'm going to post this and see what happens.

I got like this when we had to move our boat from where we bought it, nearly had a thrombie over the logistics but it all turned out fine. It's just me...

:wacko:

Somewhere near a junction or junctions. That way you could go off in different directions rather than on the same bit of canal each weekend.

Around Braunston comes to mind as you are within multiple junctions with in a couple of hours cruising and one just on the door step. I expect there are other locations similar. As already posted mooring near home may also be an important criteria to make the most of the time the weekends you are able to get to the boat.

These are brilliant replies, thank you.

Would anyone consider being 8 hours away from a junction a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng long way? I didn't think it was, but we're having a bit of a disagreement at the moment...

Would anyone consider being 8 hours away from a junction a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng long way? I didn't think it was, but we're having a bit of a disagreement at the moment...

Depends whether there is a decent pub at the end of the 8 hours

Defo too long.

Our mooring is not far from two junctions.... half hour one way max, an hour the other. Both give connections to rivers and canals some of which we have yet to do since mooring last September.

To me being near (within an hour) by car was important and feasible. Even if we go to the boat just to spend time on it rather than go anywhere it feels like getting away from it all. You may also consider if on your shorter trips out you may come across areas that become congested/ are very popular as this will add time to any trip. We have a lock near our Marina that can get very busy with queing boats either side, this has to be factored in if we are on a time limit or near dusk!

The objective is to go in different directions from the junction so you need to get to the junction quite quickly so you can then go off a different way every weekend.

The objective is to go in different directions from the junction so you need to get to the junction quite quickly so you can then go off a different way every weekend.

Not necessarily. One of your multiple options is to cruise in the opposite direction from the junction!

MtB

(Posting from Pedant's Korner)

Trent Lock gives you the Soar and Leicester line, River Trent, Trent and Mersey, and Erewash canals. A very handy spot to branch out from.

Dan

I would agree with trent lock shardlow area ,lots of pubs, erewash, soar, trent and t&m and nottingham, all within half a days cruise! Plus a friendly area to boot!

You have to be ok with double / (PROPER) ;) locks though.

Nantwich or Barbridge area on the shroppie - a few options for weekend sails and 2 junctions within 2 hours sailing.

Steve

Barbridge will give you wonderful access to those large queues that regularly seem to build up at some of the locks on the Middlewich branch, or even at Hack Green on occasions.

This wouldn't be my choice if I wanted peaceful cruising, rather than sitting in a line of boats for one or even two hours.

Perhaps we have always been unlucky?

ok so if a junction is the most desirable place then the junction with the most exits must be a clear winner which begs the question which junction has the most exits? limehouse 4 up/down thames regents & limehouse cut. Trent junction 4 again trent, T&M, Soar and erewash

is there any 5's?