Anyone use a Poncho?

johnmck

Featured Posts

Hi.

After last "Summers" deluge, I have been thinking of obtaining a poncho to use whilst steering. Has anyone any experiance and any reccomendations, posotive or otherwise!

John.

I did use one for an hour or two last 'summer' but found it got in the way when I was trying to do anything apart from steering. I don't even like wearing a coat when I am moving around locks in case something gets caught.

We have one, and have sometimes tried to use it whilst steering, to cover the hatch, and stop bucket-fulls of water getting inside.

Just about practical where the canal is lock free, and not too wiggly, but a PITA when you can't simply stand fairly still.

Doesn't tend to see much use, frankly.

When it's really teeming down, a poncho is great. I have a couple of fairly expensive waterproof coats but eventually they always end up leaking at the seams. Ponchos don't really have seams (well maybe one round the hood) and they don't need to try and find a balance between waterproofness and breathability. They simply stop all water getting through. I take Kev's point about doing locks in them but sometimes needs must. I'd rather stay dry! I have been told I look silly in my poncho though... B)

I've thought these may be a good idea on a cruiser stern when steering. Just a lightweight circle of polythene say 6 ft dia with a head hole in the middle. And a couple of loops for each thumb to hook into, and that's it. that should keep your whole body and arms dry. Nice hat on top and away you go. Don't really see why it should get in the way too much at locks etc, but then I haven't tried it yet!

I've thought these may be a good idea on a cruiser stern when steering. Just a lightweight circle of polythene say 6 ft dia with a head hole in the middle. And a couple of loops for each thumb to hook into, and that's it. that should keep your whole body and arms dry. Nice hat on top and away you go. Don't really see why it should get in the way too much at locks etc, but then I haven't tried it yet!

Sounds the perfect solution for those that would not be seen dead steering a cruiser sterned boat as well!

I have a cruiser stern

What we need is a waterproof onesie.

You've got one - it's called your skin. To save embarrassment and inevitable arrest, a simple addition of a pair of Speedos and, if required, some nipple tassles might be advisable. Not much cop for use in chilly months granted.

Got caught out a couple of years back, so I bought a cheap pair of waterproof overtrousers which I wear with a waterproof Regatta jacket when it's raining. Both nice and light so I useable during the summer. Tried a poncho, didn't keep my legs dry - rain doesn't have the courtesy to fall precisely vertically.

I find a good wide brimmed hat and my bike waterproofs keep me dry as a bone.Its the modern approach i think,maybe not suited to those old fashioned trad boats though.

Ian.

The problem with a "truly traditional" boat with a real back cabin that is your only living accommodation, is that rain is peeing through a near 2 foot square hole straight into both your living accommodation and probably you coal box. If you are a "wuss" who actually likes a mattress on the side bed, rather than sleeping on boards, that gets wet too. :angry:

I once saw a boater with a trad, fitted round the hatch with one of these skirt thingies that kayak users "wear"...must have been a bugger in an emergency!...nice and warm up the back side though.

Hi.

After last "Summers" deluge, I have been thinking of obtaining a poncho to use whilst steering. Has anyone any experiance and any reccomendations, posotive or otherwise!

John.

We use ponchos in very heavy rain but extra care is needed when working locks. I think we purchased them from an Army surplus store. They are large and have press studs so that you can join 2 ponchos together for a makeshift tent or a groundsheet for a tent.

Steve

We use ponchos in very heavy rain but extra care is needed when working locks. I think we purchased them from an Army surplus store. They are large and have press studs so that you can join 2 ponchos together for a makeshift tent or a groundsheet for a tent.

Steve

You use a poncho AND you have a "Bridgewater Bughut"? Surely you Wiganers are made of sterner stuff...you won't disolve when it rains, you know!

On our trip down, we used the disposable type ponchos that are sometimes given out free at festivals.

Positive :-

They pack down to a small package so easy to keep a few on standby

Great for use while steering

They have a hood

Drip dry quickly

Make you whistle the theme from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly!

Negative :-

Could be a pain when there was a gust of wind (not from the wearer, children!)

Got in the way and got tangled on the locks

Make you whistle the theme from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly!

Edited by Chop!

With a bit of care it's an excellent solution to keeping oneself dry and the wet stuff out of a trad BMC. In the winter, with the stove alight, one is not only dry (however heavy the rain) but also warmed by great draughts of heated (or should that be 'hot'?) air coming up from below. With the back doors tight closed one can keep dry & toasty all day long.

The problem with a "truly traditional" boat with a real back cabin that is your only living accommodation, is that rain is peeing through a near 2 foot square hole straight into both your living accommodation and probably you coal box. If you are a "wuss" who actually likes a mattress on the side bed, rather than sleeping on boards, that gets wet too. :angry:

I use a big umbrella - I can't see what I look like so don't care, at least it keeps most of the water out of the back cabin