Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Not under cloths but that Bognor out of water on the Lea might be interesting. 

The owner took it as payment for some work. Needs close looking at but if it was cheap it might be a deconversion candidate if you want under cloths conversion. 

I'd keep the cabin in fact I'd quite like to shorten it to 45-50ft and make a tug.

Not sure how good a big boat would be for that though. 

I do feel a connection with Bognor because that's actually my hometown! But I am not sure I have pockets deep enough to fully fit out a boat, new engine and all (no way I'd attempt to do it myself!). Maybe if it was more or less free! But also, I can see that taking a good few years to do, which would be years I wouldn't be boating...

Edited by DShK
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, DShK said:

But I am now certain that I am after a large woolwich undercloth conversion. Anyone want to sell me one? 🙃 I'd entertain going to see Cyprus but it'd be a real shame to split it up from it's original butty...

So actually neither does it have to be a "large" boat, nor does it have to be a Woolwich!

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So actually neither does it have to be a "large" boat, nor does it have to be a Woolwich!

I knew I was going to get called out on that!

Out of curiosity, anyone have an idea how much refooting a boat like that would roughly cost? (Can that be done without stripping out the interior?) How about removing, rebuilding and refitting a JP2? Because if that was factored into an offer, Chiswick would be a beautiful boat to own...

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I'd keep the cabin in fact I'd quite like to shorten it to 45-50ft and make a tug.

Not sure how good a big boat would be for that though. 

Sudbury was cut down to a 40ft tug, looks a bit odd to my eyes, but has spent 50 years like that so must work alright.

2 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

Sudbury was cut down to a 40ft tug, looks a bit odd to my eyes, but has spent 50 years like that so must work alright.

I'm no expert, but doubt Sudbury has had its current appearance for 50 years.  That would imply 1973 - probably not long after the trashed boats were removed from the Wendover arm.

Whilst the shortening was probably carried out by British Waterways in the 1970s, the current cabin was not applied to it until after it had been sold into private ownership.  I had a longish conversation with the owner that had it put on, and do understand why it is not strictly "Large Northwich"

• Greenie 1

On 22/08/2023 at 11:41, DShK said:

Without being too direct about which one, I went to see a boat posted here a couple of months ago (large woolwich at braunston - not badsey). Beautiful boat. I fell in love instantly. I was ready to go through the heartache of selling my first boat.

But I continued my due diligence. Everything was seeming fine until I found the first bilge access hatch. It had recently been painted over so it was hard to get up but I managed it (I'm glad these proper brokers just give you the keys and let you do what you need to do). It was wet. I then found the access at the bulkhead between the front and rear bilges. Full of water. Not what you want to see, as you begin to question how long it might have been rotting from the inside.

I then go back into the beautiful (recently painted) engine room. I find my way into that bilge. Literally a sump full of oil in there. Given that the info I can find online seems to suggest this JP2 was probably last rebuilt in the 80s, I think it's probably given up.

The boat was for sale a couple of years ago, so I wonder if the current owners got in over their heads, slapped a coat of paint on the thing and are trying to recoup their money. But one wonders why they wouldn't mop up those messes - unless the leaks are so bad that it's happened while it's sat on brokerage.

These things are sortable, but the current price is not reflective of that. I'm not sure they would take well to being offered 20k less (at this point)

But I am now certain that I am after a large guccc undercloth conversion. Anyone want to sell me one? 🙃 I'd entertain going to see Cyprus but it'd be a real shame to split it up from it's original butty....

If Chiswick, it was maybe rain water in the bildges, or perhaps a water tank leak. Large amounts of money was spent getting it sorted after the Soar gravel at Stockton - no money spared. The JP2 was spot on 5-6 years ago, I don't suppose it's had a huge amount of use since. The oil in the engine bildge is probably mostly water with oil on top, Listers often leak a bit of oil and if not cleared up can build up. There might be water coming through the engine room cabin top, or from an improperley lubricated prop shaft.

My only dealing was knowing one of the previous owners, and so know some of it's history. Probably just needs a bit of proper TLC, but as always get a survey...

On 22/08/2023 at 19:08, magnetman said:

Yes I've been on Sudbury. I think there was a little modification under the water. I didn't think it handled very nicely. 

Don't load it with too much coal, as it's very tippy!

On 22/08/2023 at 19:08, magnetman said:

Yes I've been on Sudbury. I think there was a little modification under the water. I didn't think it handled very nicely. 

Really short boats of this type often wobble more than a pylon made of jelly, a combination of being all swim below water and relatively top heavy.

Edited by BWM

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Really short boats of this type often wobble more than a pylon made of jelly, a combination of being all swim below water and relatively top heavy.

Length improves directional stability. Shortened boat are 'lively'.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, mykaskin said:

If Chiswick, it was maybe rain water in the bildges, or perhaps a water tank leak. Large amounts of money was spent getting it sorted after the Soar gravel at Stockton - no money spared. The JP2 was spot on 5-6 years ago, I don't suppose it's had a huge amount of use since. The oil in the engine bildge is probably mostly water with oil on top, Listers often leak a bit of oil and if not cleared up can build up. There might be water coming through the engine room cabin top, or from an improperley lubricated prop shaft.

My only dealing was knowing one of the previous owners, and so know some of it's history. Probably just needs a bit of proper TLC, but as always get a survey...

Don't load it with too much coal, as it's very tippy!

Oh, that's great info, thank you!

I do suspect it was either rain getting in through the bow (see below) or a water tank. Given that it's wet towards the front of the boat, it's unlikely to be the shower or something. Still, I worry how long it's been wet. The baseplate isn't that new itself, I believe it was put in in 1988?

The oil/water thing actually makes a lot of sense. It did seem like a LOT of oil. A surprisingly difficult bilge to get into, I can see how it might have gone unnoticed, especially with the amount of rain we've had recently.

image.png.6f87a902ddbd4be6fa2df417ced97d68.png

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, BWM said:

Yes the real classic example being that little one which was down at Springwell. Cant remember the name I think it was a Yarwoods town class and it had been shortened to about 30ft. Was it called Staffordshire knot or something. 

Almost rolls over when a boat goes past it! 

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Yes the real classic example being that little one which was down at Springwell. Cant remember the name I think it was a Yarwoods town class and it had been shortened to about 30ft. Was it called Staffordshire knot or something. 

A lovely looking little boat though.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/usworth

• Greenie 2

On 24/08/2023 at 21:19, magnetman said:

I didn't know it had a RN DM2 in there. I thought there was a little lister air cooled unit in it. 

In the link it says current engine RN DM2. 

Had an ST2 when I owned it. Think it's still the same. 

Wish I hadn't sold it and would definitely buy it back. 

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That sold fairly recently.

Is the boat in the picture Columba? 

I know Nick Stainer at Cassio wharf got hold of Columba a few yars ago but the image I posted was just from a google image search so I don't know if it actually is Columba or not. 

Similar bow detail so could be the same boat. 

Very nice.