Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

As I understand it, though, once you have done such a conversion, then still trying to use it as a towed nutty on occasions can be quite hard work.

Enough of the rudder surface gets removed that there isn't really enough left for full control when unpowered - or at the very least the butty steered has to work a lit harder.

Perhaps Jim can comment further?

This is true. Whenever we take the butty out with the motor we always use cross straps. It's quite difficult going round sharpish bends on a long line for the reason that Alan outlines.

Provided the conversion is done carefully it's a very easy matter to replace the steel motorized ellum with the original wood one. As with all conversions I reckon that whatever is done to an historic vessel must be capable to returning to its original state. Who knows, whoever has the boat after us may well wish to return it to a horse drawn boat/

When we were considering motorizing the butty we looked at the various ways of doing it - all of which have their drawbacks,

I don't like the ugly anti-ventilation plates used by some; there is not enough head room for a prop shaft going through the back cabin; I certainly didn't want to chop into the stern post to add a stern tube etc. etc.

Edited by koukouvagia

Butty to nutty, very apt Alan smile.png. Doing it to anything but a 'big' or a very special one like Hampton would be not very wise IMHO as the head room in 'smalls' is inadequate to most users. If headroom is not an issue, a fantastic blank canvas like Meteor might be the one to do it with (sorry Tiggers)

Edited by PaddingtonBear

All joking aside if anyone is looking for a butty to hydraulically motorise, mine will regrettably be coming on the market soon, and is a truly blank canvas. Please PM me if interested!

Dan

Oi, you can't advertise it yet, I've not won the lottery this week. Keep it quiet! ;)

Yarwoods Mountbatten and Jellicoe up for grabs as a pair only. £57.5 k

I know a certain forum member who actually quite fancied owning these, and I think may have even got as far as a viewing.

I was told that his other half declared them, (cover your eyes, Pete Harrison!), "too ugly", and would not entertain the idea.

They have been £67.5K for the pair for a very long while - maybe £10K less will find a buyer?

I was told that his other half declared them, (cover your eyes, Pete Harrison!), "too ugly", and would not entertain the idea.

It is all a matter of personal taste. My preference is the Pimblott built 'Admirals', although I do not like the fore ends of GRENVILLE and HOWARD as they look prone to getting hung up when passing through locks.

I have always fancied having a nice new Pimblott style motor built. One day maybe, but certainly no time soon captain.gif

"France" is now officially on the market. I'll be putting a proper advert up soon but if anyone is interested, just drop me a message.

Fully refooted, rebottomed, new back cabin and engine room all done 2-3 years ago by Roger Farrington. Bolinder 1113 with 3:1 gearbox and 26 inch prop.

Everything about it is immaculate.

Looking for £59k.

• Greenie 1

"France" is now officially on the market. I'll be putting a proper advert up soon but if anyone is interested, just drop me a message.

Fully refooted, rebottomed, new back cabin and engine room all done 2-3 years ago by Roger Farrington. Bolinder 1113 with 3:1 gearbox and 26 inch prop.

Looking for £59k.

That is one beautiful boat

Looking for £59k.

Good grief!

If it's that much for a (very!) nice unconverted Josher, how on earth much would it be for a proper "Grand Union" in equally nice condition. :lol:

I know that this is going to cause me a lot of grief but, marvellous boat and workmanship, but is not the cabin 'wrong'.especially for that money. Before anyone says anything, yes Chertsey's is 'wrong' as well.

The pic in the link suggest insufficient tumblehome, is that what you mean?

Tim

Nope.

What makes you wonder?

MtB

The pic in the link suggest insufficient tumblehome, is that what you mean?

Tim

Surely PB is referring to the fact that FRANCE used to be a horse boat, so the cabin is completely different.

MtB

Surely PB is referring to the fact that FRANCE used to be a horse boat, so the cabin is completely different.

MtB

It was motorised in the 1930s, by Yarwoods, and I doubt that you could tell the difference between one of the boats they motorised and a purpose-built motor boat unless you are a really geeky rivet counter.

Tim