"the end of constant cruisers"

Alfie & Smartie

Featured Posts

:D Saw this on Cart's facebook page :banghead:

"And they're off" :judge:

Peter Ponting

‎.

Make things simple and effective.

Having read the SE proposals and followed (and contributed) to the debates about moorings. Perhaps it is time for CaRT to listen to common sense and a productive way of solving issues.

Visitor Moorings are what they say. For Visitors. These are usually found near Towns, villages etc, where visitors can explore the areas. These can easily be monitored, either by CaRT representatives or volunteers living near the moorings. These should all be made 48 hour moorings, to enable visitors to visit the areas. That should be the main priority, ensuring that no boat stays longer than 48 hours. This enables towns and villages a continuous supply of new people, all using local stores to "top up"

Next we have the 7 - 14 day moorings, which should be further away than visitors moorings, as they have more time to explore the areas. These could be checked on a weekly basis.

The License system is flawed in so much that boats in marina's use the system as and when they can, which usually mean weekend's. So apart from using marina facilities, they use very little else on the system. To which they pay a premium (mooring fees)

Likewise, boats moored on private land adjacent to the towpath also have to pay mooring fees, some with facilities, others without. But they use the facilities provided by CaRT probably more than a marina based boat.

Hire boat companies use very little facilities except for water and rubbish disposal.

Live aboards with no moorings probably use the facilities most.

In conclusion,

Scrap the continuous cruising license, as they use more facilities than anybody else.

Limit mooring times to 48 hours and 7 -14 days.

This will increase efficiency and reduce the problems which are occurring everyday and easily monitored.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/canalrivertrustboating?fref=ts

• Greenie 2

Peter Ponting

Having read the SE proposals and followed (and contributed) to the debates about moorings. Perhaps it is time for CaRT to listen to common sense and a productive way of solving issues.

Visitor Moorings are what they say. For Visitors. These are usually found near Towns, villages etc, where visitors can explore the areas. These can easily be monitored, either by CaRT representatives or volunteers living near the moorings. These should all be made 48 hour moorings, to enable visitors to visit the areas. That should be the main priority, ensuring that no boat stays longer than 48 hours. This enables towns and villages a continuous supply of new people, all using local stores to "top up"

Next we have the 7 - 14 day moorings, which should be further away than visitors moorings, as they have more time to explore the areas. These could be checked on a weekly basis.

The License system is flawed in so much that boats in marina's use the system as and when they can, which usually mean weekend's. So apart from using marina facilities, they use very little else on the system. To which they pay a premium (mooring fees)

Likewise, boats moored on private land adjacent to the towpath also have to pay mooring fees, some with facilities, others without. But they use the facilities provided by CaRT probably more than a marina based boat.

Hire boat companies use very little facilities except for water and rubbish disposal.

In conclusion,

Scrap the continuous cruising license, as they use more facilities than anybody else.

This will increase efficiency and reduce the problems which are occurring everyday and easily monitored.

well he obviously hasn't been out cruising recently because there are no problems out there at the moment.

I am not sure what facilities I use more than any other boat, I pay for pump-out, maybe water OK.

views like his and other high profile people are dangerous as CaRT like to believe them, and they do not reflect the views of most boaters (CC and non CC ) that I speak to.

Peter Ponting

‎.

In conclusion,

Why buy a boat, then moan about cost of keeping it. Did he not research before buying?

Cut the cloth to thy needs mr ponting, perhaps a caravan?

This is the same guy who always gets into bother when out boating and writes articles about how his holiday has been ruined by everyone who doesn't act exactly as he wishes them to.

It's people like this bloke and the prat who closed down Jim Sheads site that will, if allowed ruin one of the most diverse and inclusive lifestyles left in the UK.

I guess Peter Pontificate can't see how having cc ers actually ensures we have a navigation that works.

Edited by Wanted

This is an extremely sweeping statement the boat I share (yes I know I am a share boater and therefore not entitled to an opinion) is out of the marina 30 to 40 weeks a year. While out we is using all the facilities the cut has to offer.

Is whingeing a feature of all Pontings?

The memory dims as time passes but I seem to recall they were never quite as miserable as Butlings.

I wish people would use the correct "CRT" abbreviation.

As I skim-read the OP I immediately thought "Huh?...I haven't got a facebook page." and it isn't the first time I've wondered what I'm being accused of.

• Greenie 1

I thought mooring was limited to 14 days in any one place already, and for everyone, (except on the home mooring obviously). So Cc'ers are already required to move on from everywhere after 14 days.

The rules are the rules, they just need policing properly. Those who break the rules know they are doing so, and must always have been looking over their shoulders waiting for the day of reckoning.

The rules are the rules, they just need policing properly. Those who break the rules know they are doing so, and must always have been looking over their shoulders waiting for the day of reckoning.

Bless.

I think you'll find most people get on with their lives rather than looking over their shoulders.

My proof; the lack of lampposts with head-height dents.

Is whingeing a feature of all Pontings?

(Cricket aficionados will understand this).

Wash your mouth out Athy.You know that despite bad umpiring and biased decisions,Pommie sledgers e.t.c Ricky never,never ever whinged.

Wash your mouth out Athy.You know that despite bad umpiring and biased decisions,Pommie sledgers e.t.c Ricky never,never ever whinged.

That's one of the many things I like about Aussies, their fantastic sense of humour.

Job to know where to start really, Mr Pontings version of common sense requires an awful lot of policing and record keeping as to who is stopping at a spot, for how long, and whether they are on the way `out` or `back` and stopping at roughly the same place again. It also assumes fines or some form of deterrent - great.

The use of `the facilities` is a bit of a red herring, does he mean water points? rubbish disposal? or the water and locks?, there is some truth in the `use it or lose it ` view, if you don`t use `the facilities` they won`t be provided, my worry this summer on the Nivernais was that there were not enough people using the facilities to warrant the expense of providing them.

In truth this looks more like a swipe at the owners of the boats and how they choose to use them and live their lives, anybody remember Mao Tse Tungs remedy for famine?, get everybody to stand below trees to frighten off the seed eating sparrows so that they couldn`t rest anywhere and they would just keep flying till they dropped. I don`t want to pay a licence to be treated like that.

There will still be the same number of boats on the system no matter what, if they are not on Mr. Pontings favourite bit making him cross they will be on someone elses.

The memory dims as time passes but I seem to recall they were never quite as miserable as Butlings.

I wish people would use the correct "CRT" abbreviation.

As I skim-read the OP I immediately thought "Huh?...I haven't got a facebook page." and it isn't the first time I've wondered what I'm being accused of.

Surely as they call themselves "Canal & River Trust" the correct abbreviation should be C&RT?

And erm....there's an 'L' in your forum name unless my eyes need testing?

Oh dear. I really do hesitate to put head anywhere in the vicinity of parapet but the thought just won't go away...

Bear with me while I try to formulate. Once a boat (any boat) moves away from ANY type of mooring it seems to me that it is cruising. No? If that boat then turns up at its own private, paid for mooring, it (and the owners!) has the right to remain there for as long as is compatible with its lease / ownership / rental agreement and doing whatever is permitted by that agreement. Yes? If that boat moors up at any other location, it (and the owners) are subject to any rules or by-laws which may prevail at that mooring, whether it be 24hr stay, 14 day stay, Pay £50 per night because this is a deluxe private marina, or whatever.

If a boat doesn't have the benefit of a permanent mooring, then it is ALWAYS subject to the rules and by-laws, but in essence it is no different to the boat which does have a mooring but isn't there. The discussion about overstaying is absolutely nothing to do with the state of affairs I have described, because quite simply ANY boat whether with a permanent mooring or not may be guilty of overstaying at some point.

All this being the case, how would it be possible to do away with the CC licence? Just because a boat has a mooring doesn't mean it will actually be there at any point. In effect ALL licences are CC licences unless they are time-limited (in other words Summer Months Only or some such nonsense). The Ponting pontification is so ludicrous in its naivete that I just found myself very nearly deleting all of this because it seems a waste of breath and effort to respond.

But I didn't, so there it is.

And erm....there's an 'L' in your forum name unless my eyes need testing?

When skimming a thread to see if it's worth more of my attention I miss whole words, never mind an "l" sat next to a "t".

537100_10200713749271329_187557499_n.jpg

I rest my case.

They like to be known as "CRT" so, because I would rather my chosen name not be mucked about with, I will respect their wish.

Personally I prefer C&RT, too, but the choice isn't mine to make.

• Greenie 1