Not having a mooring

Halesowenmum

Featured Posts

I too am going to cc and have to work- I'm a music teacher 3 days a week and also in the territorial army. Many people travel 20 miles plus to work and school these days. Surely if you were prepared to drive 20 miles from one side of work/ school and twenty the other that would give you a cc range of 40 miles. I've asked local boaters and all are of the opinion that this would more than satisfy the authorities.

The way fuel costs, bus costs etc are going it would probably work out as cheap to get a mooring and save all the hassle. Trouble is getting and paying for a mooring before you have a boat, or trying to find a mooring after you've got a boat..

Casp'

The way fuel costs, bus costs etc are going it would probably work out as cheap to get a mooring and save all the hassle. Trouble is getting and paying for a mooring before you have a boat, or trying to find a mooring after you've got a boat..

Casp'

Ah but I like the idea of being a reasonable distance from other people! Changing scenery and meeting new people, moving away if I don't like them! Marinas seem as if the boats are moored too closely together for my liking. Maybe by the time I get fed up with it ill be ina position financially to find a good marina in the vicinity!

Ah but I like the idea of being a reasonable distance from other people! Changing scenery and meeting new people, moving away if I don't like them! Marinas seem as if the boats are moored too closely together for my liking. Maybe by the time I get fed up with it ill be ina position financially to find a good marina in the vicinity!

Doesn't have to be a marina..

Casp'

OP - - I would seriuosly suggest that with the critical factors governing your requirements - you need to find a permanent mooring - preferable with piped electricity.

DO investigate local marinas - and suggest that you'll require a leisure mooring, (you'll obviously be taking some weeks out during the year for cruising holidays - and pay careful attention to their response - for the marina may well be happy to accept folks that "spend a great deal of time" on their boat - (as long as you and the family don't make a nuisance of yourselves)

(A fair number of marinas currently show such tolerance

I would completely agree with G&F. In fact I was a neighbour in a marina of a family with 3 school age kids & ma & pa working, so it can be done.

I'd need to return to the same location every single day you see for getting kids to school...

Yes you're right theoretically they could indeed go from a slightly different location - I'm not sure it would be different enough to satisfy the licencing chappies though that's the only issue. I will read and re-read the guidance on CC when I'm not so tired so I've digested that. Then I will have to sit with a map and possibly even drive round and look at actual bus stop locations, get out and see if the canal is anywhere near (!!) and see if 3 or 4 different stop-offs were a possibility.

However I'm still not sure how that benefits me with regard to getting access to my car each day if I'm constantly in a considerably different enough location which satisfies the water folks but is such that my car ends up 2 times out of 3 being a darned long way away from me and my two rather short little legs. Most of the places I work are hopeless to get to by bus so I need the blessed car, German-orientated as it may be.

I'm going to be inevitably mostly traversing the Dudley No. 2 canal. There are permanent moorings if you can get them either at Netherton (which has a suitable bus) or at Hawne Basin (which also has suitable buses). No doubt indeed there are bus stops along the way that would also suffice and hopefully be accessible. Postcode to postcode, by road, between these two points it's 2.9 miles. I guess it depends on how far waterways consider is far enough to constitute having moved on really.

I could have three different cars in three different locations!!

There is no specific ruling on how far you have to travel to satisfy the continuous cruising requirements. But when Paul Davies cruised up and down the same 10 mile section of the Kennet and Avon (arguing that he couldn't go further because of his job and social ties), the judge found that this was insufficient. On that basis, I think you might be in some difficulty in just sticking to the Dudley No 2.

OP - - I would seriuosly suggest that with the critical factors governing your requirements - you need to find a permanent mooring - preferable with piped electricity.

DO investigate local marinas - and suggest that you'll require a leisure mooring, (you'll obviously be taking some weeks out during the year for cruising holidays - and pay careful attention to their response - for the marina may well be happy to accept folks that "spend a great deal of time" on their boat - (as long as you and the family don't make a nuisance of yourselves)

(A fair number of marinas currently show such tolerance

Grace & Favour are you making a distinction here between a long term full residential mooring and what you're calling a 'leisure mooring'. Do you mean a leisure mooring ie one which isn't really a bone fide proper residential mooring? (Sorry, just want to understand if this is what you're saying and that I'm understanding you right).

Can I just thank everyone for their extremely helpful comments and input.

For what it's worth I think that the peeps that make the CCing rules need to embrace the customer base they now have which is no doubt more diverse than it was many years ago with many more families and people with children wanting to live aboard and hence naturally restricted to a more limited geographical range. The CCing rules are fine for those who don't have to work or who don't have children who attend school.Why should I be not allowed to CC because I send my children to school as any good parent would, and because I work to support my two children and therefore need access to my car each day?

Anyway, I agree that there is no way I can CC - I must find a 'permanent' residential mooring before I can even consider selling my house and possibly rendering me and my children with nowhere to live. Which is dreadfully disappointing as I'm not very confident I'm going to find one in anything like the near future. I only know of two places that offer the right type of mooring and the first one at least is full for the foreseeable future and can't tell me of course when any spaces might be coming up. And I've got limited ideas on where to look.

Hey ho. Must say I'm very disappointed at the moment but agree with other posters that a mooring is the way forward. :(

Why should I be not allowed to CC because I send my children to school as any good parent would, and because I work to support my two children and therefore need access to my car each day?

You're allowed to CC, but you're not allowed to overstay moorings etc. Of course, its considerably easier to keep within the rules if you don't have ties such as work, (kids') eduction, etc and can freely roam the canal network.

Expand the abbreviation to its full "Continuous Cruising". You ask "Why should I be not allowed to continuously cruise ... etc", and the answer is that nobody is stopping you from continuously cruising; you are welcome to do that. However you are not permitted to stay in one place and say that you are continuously cruising.

It's somewhat annoying to see German Minis with the Union Flag painted on the roof... Why don't they ever have the German flag?

Casp'

immagine0729ff.jpg

Playing devils advocate since when have BW/C&RT been a housing authority??? Dont shoot me i just asked !

They're not but they are a landlord.

There is no need to be a HA in order to have responsibilities.

umm you must move neighborhoods that really could not get any more vague , its time someone sat down and came up with a set of rules that we all can stick to and not just use in our own way . Can I go A B C D B A C D E A B E if i think they are different neighborhoods :rolleyes: and what happened to i before e except after c in neighborhood :blush:

umm you must move neighborhoods that really could not get any more vague , its time someone sat down and came up with a set of rules that we all can stick to and not just use in our own way . Can I go A B C D B A C D E A B E if i think they are different neighborhoods :rolleyes: and what happened to i before e except after c in neighborhood :blush:

The majority of CCers understand the rules and stick to them. The rules are complex, but understandable. Have a look through the previous posts for a guidance PDF.

For what it's worth I think that the peeps that make the CCing rules need to embrace the customer base they now have which is no doubt more diverse than it was many years ago with many more families and people with children wanting to live aboard and hence naturally restricted to a more limited geographical range. The CCing rules are fine for those who don't have to work or who don't have children who attend school.Why should I be not allowed to CC because I send my children to school as any good parent would, and because I work to support my two children and therefore need access to my car each day?

I think you are quite right and this something I been advocating for some time now,including the local boaters meetings with Sally Ash.The rules for CCing,IMO,are at the least antiquated.There are more younger people now using the canals to live and work,there are more and more people needing to stay in a certain vicinity in order to sustain a certain standard of life.Not everyone is retired or has the financial ability to CC,some cannot find a mooring whether this is residential or not.Some boaters do not want to live in a marina and would rather move around but in a more defined area than CRT's CCing proposals.If the same boaters are willing to pay an appropriate amount above their current licence to cruise a defined area that gives them the ability to find work or continue to work,get the kids to school etc then this is extra revenue to the Trust.It would also save CRT funds in that they would not have to police the system looking for offenders,at least not to the extent that they may have to.Of course there would have to be rules for these boaters i.e.not staying on 24 or 48 hour moorings,keeping to the agreed zones of cruising and staying only 7 days rather than 14 days at a mooring.I don't believe there is a massive problem with overstayers but I do believe there is a problem for many boaters to stay within the guidelines determined by our landlords CRT,as I have said before CRT must assume the role of the benign landlord and listen to their tenants and future tenants.

• Greenie 1

I am afraid that to my rather simplistic mind it has always been clear. In the regs I have found there is no such thing as continuous cruising this is a term attempting to put bona fide navigation into easily understood modern terms.

So to try to interpret bona fide navigation.

1. Take this quote

To date, Government have expressed Neighbourhoods in terms of Parishes

2. Consider bona fide

Sincerely; without intention to deceive

3. Consider navigation

The passage of ships

4. Consider what passage is.

The act or process of moving through, under, over, or past something on the way from one place to another.

So to me continuous cruising is a sincere journey on a boat from parish to parish. Any combination of 3 or 4 parishes isn't IMO a sincere journey it is attempting to stay in one place while looking as if you are on a journey.

Just my opinion/interpretation of course.

I am afraid that to my rather simplistic mind it has always been clear. In the regs I have found there is no such thing as continuous cruising this is a term attempting to put bona fide navigation into easily understood modern terms.

So to try to interpret bona fide navigation.

1. Take this quote

To date, Government have expressed Neighbourhoods in terms of Parishes

2. Consider bona fide

Sincerely; without intention to deceive

3. Consider navigation

The passage of ships

4. Consider what passage is.

The act or process of moving through, under, over, or past something on the way from one place to another.

So to me continuous cruising is a sincere journey on a boat from parish to parish. Any combination of 3 or 4 parishes isn't IMO a sincere journey it is attempting to stay in one place while looking as if you are on a journey.

Just my opinion/interpretation of course.

my point exactly it says move from one parish ( as u put it ) to another you think three or four is not enough but the rules say from one to another they are not simple they are just there to interpret how the viewer sees fit as has just been proven by the above as i said its time someone sat down and made it very clear easiest way you must travel x km's in one direction unless turning at the end of a navigation , simples

my point exactly it says move from one parish ( as u put it ) to another you think three or four is not enough but the rules say from one to another they are not simple they are just there to interpret how the viewer sees fit as has just been proven by the above as i said its time someone sat down and made it very clear easiest way you must travel x km's in one direction unless turning at the end of a navigation , simples

That Jerra has a very simplistic mind,it goes in one direction probably a marina.

That Jerra has a very simplistic mind,it goes in one direction probably a marina.

Oh I accept readily I look at things simplistically. Can you define bona fide navigation more clearly? Or is it just that you would prefer the requirement wasn't bona fide navigation?

There will obviously be a grey area between one journey where one is continuously cruising, and another, similar, journey where one is not continuously cruising.

What is reasonably certain is that cruising up and down the Dudley No 2 will not be seen as continuously cruising. In fact any journey which enables ones children to catch a bus to the sne schools each day, and to return to ones car to go to work, is highly unlikely to be able to be construed as continuously cruising.

If you aren't continuously cruising, you need a permanent long term mooring. If you intend to live on your boat, the mooring needs to be residential.

Quite simple in most cases?

;For me the crux is bona fide navigation. I don't see how you can be on a bona fide navigation if it is your intention to stay within striking distance of a fixed point be it work, school or what ever.