What Ropes?

Alanji

Featured Posts

Having recently bought the boat I need new bow and centre lines before venturing onto the Trent. Any recommendations for a 54' narrowboat (single-handing). Would it be advisable to have a bow rope which I could run to the stern for easy access? And which type of rope?

TIA for any help.

I'd be a bit wary of making the lines for every day use too long. Better to keep them reasonable length ( half the boat length and a metre or two is ideal for stern and bow line) the centre line if fitted should be short enough not to reach the prop. If you want long line on the river keep it as an extra and bend it on when needed.

The important thing about ropes is that they should be easy to deploy and a line too long is a right pain.

I carry the following:

2 lines 2/3 boat length for general use and mooring

1 line eyes both ends about 4m long used for mooring stern, so you only have to adjust bow line when mooring

2 lines 1.5 boat length for use as springs and when long lines are needed.

1 x centre line about 15m long enough to go up to a bollard and back to the steerer in lock.

Yes I know the centre line will reach the prop but in over 25 years it hasnt yet.

On the Trent you need at least 10m ropes either end. If you are single handing you will of course need your bow rope to be longer.

The locks are big and deep and not all of them have sliders in the walls for your ropes.

We use 10m lines on the stern and 15m lines on the bow as our standard daily use set up. We also carry a pair of longer 25m ropes for those occasions when we are rafted a few boats out so that we can still get our own lines ashore. Important when there is a flow on as it takes the strain off the other boats lines and means you sit correctly against their boat.

You will often be moored against high walls on the Trent, there are some pontoon moorings but they get full quickly. Longer ropes are also helpful here when the bollards or rings are far apart. Also helpful for setting spring lines which you will need to reduce the surge of passing boats, especially those heading upstream. Trust me if you think boats on the canal don't sliw down enough you will have a shock on the Trent. The Newark brooms won't slow down for anything, except gin and tonic maybe!

That said have fun it is a great river. Best in mind you can't just stop anywhere, unless you anchor up out of the channel. You must use the designated moorings, the river banks are in private ownership so no casual mooring is allowed.

Oh and one last thing. Remember the river has a flow. To moor up turn into the flow. It helps to control the boat.

Can't fault most of idleness' comments. I'd support the view about centre lines and the prop. We have a centre line each side of the roof to make it easier to avoid pigeon box, engine chimney etc. One of these is easily long enough to reach the prop so it is long enough to be used in deep locks.

I'd recommend using polyhemp or similar. Looks and handles like hemp, but doesn't rot. It also floats, so if it does drop into the water it's most unlikely to get into a prop.

We use 14mm ropes. Thicker than necessary for a 57' narrowboat but any thinner and ropes are uncomfortable to handle.

Having recently bought the boat I need new bow and centre lines before venturing onto the Trent. Any recommendations for a 54' narrowboat (single-handing). Would it be advisable to have a bow rope which I could run to the stern for easy access? And which type of rope?

TIA for any help.

Hi Alan

As naughty cal has stated you need much longer ropes on the Trent than on the canals. The first lock you will go into at Holme if you go downstream ( The best route ) is deep although there are sliders so that particular lock should be no problem. One point not yet mentioned is rope thickness. On a narrowboat I use 18 mil, to me anything smaller is hard and nasty to grip, especialy at this time of year in the rain and cold like today. Man mad fibres are cheaper and often lighter than natural fibre so I would go for one of those. I suggest you go to a decent chandlers and handle several different ropes and see which you prefer :cheers:

Tim

We use 12mm braided rope but our boat is small and light. These are light and easy to handle, in fact they get easier with a bit of age to them.

I would do as smelly says and go to a good chandlers and handle a few ropes see what feels right for you.

Hi Alan

As naughty cal has stated you need much longer ropes on the Trent than on the canals. The first lock you will go into at Holme if you go downstream ( The best route ) is deep although there are sliders so that particular lock should be no problem. One point not yet mentioned is rope thickness. On a narrowboat I use 18 mil, to me anything smaller is hard and nasty to grip, especialy at this time of year in the rain and cold like today. Man mad fibres are cheaper and often lighter than natural fibre so I would go for one of those. I suggest you go to a decent chandlers and handle several different ropes and see which you prefer :cheers:

Tim

Going downstream through Holme we have never managed to hook the sliders they are too low in the wall. We usually just use the bollards, but they are some way from the lock sides hence the need for long ropes. Same at nether Newark.

Had a very hairy moment in Holme lock a while back. I managed to drop the bow rope as we were setting off. Liam quickly put the engine in neutral whilst I retrieved the errant rope. As I'm doing this the wind blew the boat sideways across the lock, lock is about 26ft wide we are about 25ft long! Rope retrieved we are now being blown at a rate of knots towards the very large exposed cill.

With much reverse forwards and everything inbetween we manage a 100 point turn with out touching the walls. Trouble is we are now facing the wrong way in the lock! Had to reverse the whole way out if the lock and lock cut before spinning the boat around and heading off downstream much to the amusement of lockie. "It is tradition to leave locks forwards" were I believe his words. And by the time we made it to the next lock our antics had been broadcast ahead of us all the way to our local lock at Torksey!

I am also in the camp of twin center lines, one run down each side of the roof, like Idleness I also have a short rope with an eye each end, small one at one end to drop over the stern dolly and large at the other to drop over bollards etc. It has several uses and is easy to drop over a bollard at a lock mooring to hold the boat when running down hill.

Another point I will not have back splices in the ends of my lines to help prevent snagging when retrieving them

Edited by ditchcrawler

Ill add that centre line should be one that floats so it doent get down to the prop.

All my lengths bove are for NB or barges smaller craft will vary.

The length of the boat is of no consequence on the Trent. You need a minimum length rope regardless of the boat size. The locks don't get shallower if you have a smaller boat!

The length of the boat is of no consequence on the Trent. You need a minimum length rope regardless of the boat size. The locks don't get shallower if you have a smaller boat!

No but if you have a 7m boat and go for 2/3 the length then thats 4.5m or to put it another way to short

If you have a 20m boat and go for 2/3 the length then thats 13.5m or to put it another way about right,

So length and size does matter

You didnt think it through or didnt read my first post did you

No but if you have a 7m boat and go for 2/3 the length then thats 4.5m or to put it another way to short

If you have a 20m boat and go for 2/3 the length then thats 13.5m or to put it another way about right,

So length and size does matter

You didnt think it through or didnt read my first post did you

Yes I did. My point was on the Trent you need a minimum length of line regardless of the boat length in this case an absolute minimum of 10m.

Yes I did. My point was on the Trent you need a minimum length of line regardless of the boat length in this case an absolute minimum of 10m.

Hence why I said my 2/3L calculation was for barges and larger NB and it won't work on smaller boats.

A long heaving line is very useful too. It can save lives, save your boat, tow with it, allsorts. But practice how to coil and throw it properly.

A monkeys fist helps as well!

• 5 months later...

I find it very handy to have a thin line running along the roof from the stern, joined to the bow rope.

Then, for example, when going uphill I can climb up a ladder holding (eg) stern rope and said thin line, tie off stern, and then walk to bows and pull the bow rope up. Much easier to handle than a 25m full size rope.

Enlightening replies.. Never put much thought to ropes. Perhaps I should!

I have 2 centre lines, each reaches the back of the cabin. 1 long bow rope and a short stern rope with loops which is removed when boating till I moor, so it can't fall in. I inherited all these when I bought the boat.. Seems they were wisely deployed by previous owner.

Would 15mm braided natural cotton ropes be okay for centre line use or too stretchy?

They sound wonderful! Cotton ropes are HEAVY, apparently though. Used in centuries gone by IIRC because they sink quickly so other boats can pass over them.

Where did you find them? I wonder if they suffer from rotting too, being a natural fibre.

MtB

Would 15mm braided natural cotton ropes be okay for centre line use or too stretchy?

They sound wonderful! Cotton ropes are HEAVY, apparently though. Used in centuries gone by IIRC because they sink quickly so other boats can pass over them.

Where did you find them? I wonder if they suffer from rotting too, being a natural fibre.

MtB

Cotton lines are great to handle in dry weather, but I avoid using them in very wet weather. They aborb a lot of water and seem to double in weight when wet, as well as picking up a lot of grit if not handled carefully.

MtB

laugh.png I found them here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft-extra-thick-red-cotton-bondage-rope-10-metres-/221163397063?pt=UK_Collectables_WeirdStuff_RL&hash=item337e5d9fc7 but believe me, Google took me there!!

I was looking for soft handle rope ...honest Gov!

Edited by Chagall

You never stop picking up tips do you?

2 centre lines? why did I not think of that. I look like a demented cowboy trying to whip the centreline over all the obstructions, exhausts etc on the roof.

:lol: I found them here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft-extra-thick-red-cotton-bondage-rope-10-metres-/221163397063?pt=UK_Collectables_WeirdStuff_RL&hash=item337e5d9fc7 but believe me, Google took me there!!

I was looking for soft handle rope ...honest Gov!

i may buy a couple of lengths of this later, I'm a bit tied up at the moment.

Martyn

You never stop picking up tips do you?

2 centre lines? why did I not think of that. I look like a demented cowboy trying to whip the centreline over all the obstructions, exhausts etc on the roof.

Yep...I flung off two tomato plants last week! I was wanting a red and a green rope but because that means unnecessary expense I looked for economy choices... Rope is expensive!

any mountain climbers on the forum with ex rope?

i may buy a couple of lengths of this later, I'm a bit tied up at the moment.

Martyn

laugh.png

....its sent in plain packaging too!

Edited by Chagall