Check the Hygiene status of your favourite canal side pub and restaurant

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Hi

The link below lets you check the food hygiene status of a catering establishment- pubs and restaurants etc

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/search/en-GB?sm=1

I was shocked to see that the eatery in a marina I use achieved zero stars- I wont name it- but was disgusted. My favourite pub in the village got 5 stars- so I know where I'm eating now

• Greenie 1

Hi

The link below lets you check the food hygiene status of a catering establishment- pubs and restaurants etc

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/search/en-GB?sm=1

I was shocked to see that the eatery in a marina I use achieved zero stars- I wont name it- but was disgusted. My favourite pub in the village got 5 stars- so I know where I'm eating now

That's a useful resource, thanks. Now in my bookmarks.

Well a quick look shows one or two canalside places I have eaten as only a "2", so that is rather interesting!

That said my home town yields at least one pub as just a "1", and my son's former school as only "2". I'm not sorrythey didn't have school dinners, then!

my local chinese scored a three - to be honest, it hasn't stopped us eating there!

Some of ours only managed a 2 and one that was closed not that long ago due to poor hygiene standards and the re-opened still only manages a 1. :sick:

jp117

Have a greenie for posting the link to that site.

It is certainly an *eye-opener* when you search on pubs and restaurants that are familiar!

I'm pleased to read that my local has 5 stars, despite having a tiny kitchen .

I will avoid looking so that I remain unconcerned.

N

You'll just need to accept that when you say to someone "lets go and eat at my favourite canal pub - the XXXXXX", they may start making polite excuses and shuffling away, then!

I'm relieved to see that the pub where some of us local boaters are going to have our Christmas do on Saturday has five stars. However, there's another one, not a million miles away, which only has a zero rating!

Fascinating.

ETA: Ah, I see that Alan, ever vigilant, beat me to it!

Edited by koukouvagia

Some of ours only managed a 2 and one that was closed not that long ago due to poor hygiene standards and the re-opened still only manages a 1. :sick:

that may be one more than previous! After another 4 closures and re-openings, it should be fine!

As it happens, in all the places I've eaten (dodgy burger vans in car parks for example) the only time I've had food poisoning was some past-it pate from my own kitchen - which fortunately isn't listed!

I think 3 upwards is average to good- but I shan't be eating at the zero rated marina restaurant that I found.

Yes looking at the rating system 3 means Satisfactory so would be the first acceptable score. Anything below starts to need remedial action to improve so is more of a worry. A rating of zero means that "urgent Improvement necessary" which I imagine starts to drift into "heck they may poison you" territory but doesn't mean they would get closed down.

Thankfully the pub where I had lunch today was a 5 star establishment according to the website so that's a relief. I shan't worry about the rather nice corn beef hash I had today!

Edited by churchward

Interesting...checked our last marina...it scored just 2....that's a worry for the ladies that lunch! Our favourite pub scored a 4...phew! Whilst the pub opposite it scored a 1...glad I go where I go!!

For those thinking of eating at the Loughborough banter pub...a 4....good news!

Interesting...checked our last marina...it scored just 2....that's a worry for the ladies that lunch! Our favourite pub scored a 4...phew! Whilst the pub opposite it scored a 1...glad I go where I go!!

For those thinking of eating at the Loughborough banter pub...a 4....good news!

Great to hear

I've noticed over the last year or so that the only stickers that you see displayed in the restaurants are ones scoring 4 or 5. Perhaps all food establishments should be made to display their rating on the door. How many people know about or have access to this website?

Very useful though, and should do much to improve general standards.

Unless you've all got four different colour chopping boards, re-label the cheese every time you cut a bit off it, and check the fridge temperature every day, do bear in mind that commercial kitchens can lose points for doing stuff that is perfectly normal in domestic ones, and they can get marked down because they're too busy cleaning to fill in the forms saying that they've done it.

Unless you've all got four different colour chopping boards, re-label the cheese every time you cut a bit off it, and check the fridge temperature every day, do bear in mind that commercial kitchens can lose points for doing stuff that is perfectly normal in domestic ones, and they can get marked down because they're too busy cleaning to fill in the forms saying that they've done it.

Not a very good score then Trevor? ;)

Keith

Personally, I would exercise some scepticism over ratings like these.

Firstly, on a very general level, I can relate to those studies that are now starting to emerge suggesting that a paranoia about hygiene over the past decade or so, may have led to a lowering of our immune systems ability to combat germs because they don’t get enough exposure to them.

And secondly, because the terms of reference of these tests are often plain daft!

As an example, the property energy efficiency reports now needed to sell a house.

I sold a 250 year old house with walls over 3 ft thick, unless there has been some recent changes, the form doesn’t cater for such a build, so it gets marked as a single brick construction, ie very inefficient!!

I’m not suggesting we shouldn’t have standards or checks and balances, just that a large degree of common sense needs to be exercised by the individual relying on them.

Obvious bad hygiene practices should be policed but whether or not the level of lighting and ventilation or book keeping meets current ‘accepted’ standards, are in my view questionable hurdles about which I am happy to make my own mind up about.

I suppose I have a gut fear (no pun intended) that these things continue the horrible trend to sanitise all the fun out of life.