RIVER TRENT SAWLEY

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

aren't you glad you have been made aware of this......now you can act on their advice before it comes......

either that or they have realised what effect the Ladybower surge is going to have on an already full Trent!!!

Might be due to the snotty email I sent them telling then it was getting wet here!

Edited by jelunga

Welcome to the forums, and impressive pictures, but my query is :smiley_offtopic: I spy Waylon in one of the pics, moored until this summer outside Colin Richardson's house in Brighouse Basin, in fact a feature of the basin for many years. Anyone know why it's at Sawley?

Hi

Yes I know. My best mate Paul rang me about three months ago and asked if I would drive up to check a boat out for him at Brighouse and I drove up there and he joined me from Blackpool. We met the family and perused the boat. My advice to my mate was if he didnt buy it he was an idiot :lol: I advised how much to rectify it roughly would be to my buddy and not being messers he made an offer knowing there was moocho work to be done. We went back the following week ( No silly surveys ) after all its only a 1958 model and took the boat away. Took her to Brians at Shepley Bridge for plating and alterations and then brought her down here to finish off. Paul is a very handy chap and boat is taking shape nicely. Beautiful piece of kit with great history built by camplins. It will be at Sawley on the long term moorings for the forseeable future :cheers:

Tim

I have just seen an olive branch. And the top of the mooring fingers are visible. We are not marooned anymore. Well still cannot get the car out onto Tamworth Road but there is always shank's pony.

Yeah, Its all over bar the shouting. off to work in a minute to see what the state of the moorings are.

Tim

Good to see the river levels dropping. However it has left a boat in a precarious position on the Soar. It is moored unofficially on the un-navigable section north of Loughborough close to where the railway crosses the river. It is caught on the bank and is listing away from it towards the river hopefully the owner will be able to gather enough muscle to get it back into the water before its too late.

Brilliant photostrip Unmani, and welcome to the forum.

Piccies like these really give us a chance to dip our toes in what is happening everywhere.

It also reminds us the vulnerability of us all to the British weather....

I do hope Dave (the Lockie) at Sawley has managed to flood-proof his lock-keepers cottage that he bought earlier this year - and has spent considerable time in restoration since...............

Just received from EA

This is a message from the Environment Agency.  

The Flood Warning for the River Trent at Sawley Marina, including Sawley Lock is no longer in force.  

No further flooding is currently expected for your area.

Flood Warnings and Alerts may still be in force for surrounding areas.

- Flood water may still be around for several days and could be contaminated.

- Call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for advice if you have been affected by flooding and use quickdial 05221151 for up-to-date flooding information.

- Visit the Environment Agency website www.environment-agency.gov.uk for river level and flooding information.

- If you've been flooded, ring your buildings and contents insurance company as soon as possible.

Contact

Environment Agency Midlands Region

East Area Flood Warning Duty Officer

Nottingham Area Incident Room

West Bridgford

Nottingham, NG2 5FA

Tel: 0845 988 1188  Fax: 0800 587 6032

Please do not reply to this email.  If you want more information about flooding or to stop receiving these emails, please phone Floodline on 0845 988 1188 or log onto Floodline Warnings Direct at www.environment-agency.gov.uk/floodline.

MUST get out of bed and see how the roads are but certainly levels well down in Marina and power back to most.

• 4 weeks later...

I see the Tamworth Road is flooding again this morning. Take care all you guys at Sawley; I know you were expecting it but that doesn't make it any easier to get around.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight yet on the Trent, The Willington level has remained static not dropping and the Derwent is now back on the up again.

The Shardlow level is showing a stong rising trend and the worst of todays rain is still to come.

Take care all, we will air drop the turkeys in if necessary!!

Hi

Is there any update on the Sawley levels?

Alex

ChartImage.jpg?Id=330&ChartType=Graph

worrying, the Trent and Derwent above here is at very high and rising levels, Sawley is in the firing line as the EA will do everything to ensure that Nottingham doesnt flood. They lost the Park and Ride facility today.

Came over Swarkstone bridge today - Certainly as high as the 2007 floods , nit quite in the gardens of the adjoining houses, with rain forecast it may come up to the 2000 levels ! Tamworth Road shut when we passed the roundabout near Castle Donington.

The Derwent at Derby & Borrowash is higher than I have seen , with the Soar & Sence on the up again , raining heavy now in NW Leics so cant see levels dropping soon.

Hi

Is there any update on the Sawley levels?

Alex

Hi

Its 1.30 am now and just come in from work. We didnt take the boats out in Nottingham tonite as there was a 5 knot flow at the moorings and about 7 knts under Trent bridge and levels a tad high, we went out the night before but twas worse today so safety first. Just got onto my boat in Sawley marina. No problems here the cut outside is not even flooded and towpath still well visible. Fields are flooded so no boating to be done and road outside maybe up to a foot deep but not any real problems yet. :cheers:

Tim

Hi

Its 1.30 am now and just come in from work. We didnt take the boats out in Nottingham tonite as there was a 5 knot flow at the moorings and about 7 knts under Trent bridge and levels a tad high, we went out the night before but twas worse today so safety first. Just got onto my boat in Sawley marina. No problems here the cut outside is not even flooded and towpath still well visible. Fields are flooded so no boating to be done and road outside maybe up to a foot deep but not any real problems yet. :cheers:

Tim

What happens to the punters in this situation?

Meal on board still (though while not cruising? or the chance to come again?

BTW - I didn't realise that the boat on the Tees (local to me) is from the same company until I looked on t'internet.

What happens to the punters in this situation?

Meal on board still (though while not cruising? or the chance to come again?

BTW - I didn't realise that the boat on the Tees (local to me) is from the same company until I looked on t'internet.

I believe that the punters are given their meal, and an accompanying talk by the Captain on the merits/de-merits of the various toilet systems available on boats

I believe that the punters are given their meal, and an accompanying talk by the Captain on the merits/de-merits of the various toilet systems available on boats

Worth coming just for the talk then. Would he perhaps add advice on the different types of stern?