RIVER TRENT SAWLEY

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Well morning is here. We have risen a few more inchas overnight but the camp perimeter road is still dry and the power is still on.

Not as much overnight rain here as tgeeatened but today is another day.

Good morning Jelunga

Thanks for the update.

It will be interesting to see how the new flood defense work in Sawley and further down stream affects the levels.

By their nature the flood defenses restrict the space the river has to flow into; so it could get interesting.

Steve (Eeyore)

Shardlow marina...car parks flooded and they just lost power this morning apparently. Loughborough is rising as the flood lock has topped, and Pillings Marina is apparently flooding so I'm told.

Yes, at Shardlow marina, you can hardly see any of the bank - all now part of the trent. Quite a few people stuck on their boats - lots of lights last night. Several cars in a 6 inches or so of water. The walkways / roads to the pontoons are under by at least a foot, and I wouldnt want to get off the boat if I were them.. Fingers crossed the level goes down soon... Still rising at the moment (though only by about 1cm per hour). Up 12cm overnight. Levels going down at Great Heywood, but still rising at Willington, so will be a while yet. I'm off to loosen the ropes some more... have given about 50cm slack, but just to be safe.... Levels in fields around Crockers now above the T+M, and its only the pump at the Shardlow flood gates, and the fact the towpath is 10-20cm above the floods in the fields stopping the T+M rising at this section (at least thats the only way I can figure why it hadnt risen when I left at 7am this morning.)

Yes, at Shardlow marina, you can hardly see any of the bank - all now part of the trent. Quite a few people stuck on their boats - lots of lights last night. Several cars in a 6 inches or so of water. The walkways / roads to the pontoons are under by at least a foot, and I wouldnt want to get off the boat if I were them.. Fingers crossed the level goes down soon... Still rising at the moment (though only by about 1cm per hour). Up 12cm overnight. Levels going down at Great Heywood, but still rising at Willington, so will be a while yet. I'm off to loosen the ropes some more... have given about 50cm slack, but just to be safe.... Levels in fields around Crockers now above the T+M, and its only the pump at the Shardlow flood gates, and the fact the towpath is 10-20cm above the floods in the fields stopping the T+M rising at this section (at least thats the only way I can figure why it hadnt risen when I left at 7am this morning.)

Whats the latest news??

Alex

I suppose in theory as it's next to a river yes it could but there would need to be a massive rise in the levels of the Aire which as you know runs parallel to the canalised section.

I don't believe it has ever flooded though.

From my earlier link:

The EA has provided one historic record of flooding from the River Aire in

1978, during which floodwaters are shown to have reached the marina. The

return period of this event is unknown.

However this of course was before the present Lemonroyd Lock replaced the old one and Kippax Lock (if that makes any difference)

From my earlier link:

The EA has provided one historic record of flooding from the River Aire in

1978, during which floodwaters are shown to have reached the marina. The

return period of this event is unknown.

However this of course was before the present Lemonroyd Lock replaced the old one and Kippax Lock (if that makes any difference)

I couldn't get your link to work Mac.

What's weird about that though is Lemonroyd Marina didn't exist before the creation of the new lock and the removal of Kippax - I wonder if they mean the marina site? or the site of the proposed marina?

Edited by The Dog House

Parts of Willington are under a flood evacuation readiness. I know because the lady in charge of the Village Hall at Findern is on standby (presumably with blankets and soup for the evacuees). I know this isn't Sawley but it's not far off and a number of posters on this thread know Willington very well! Mercia is fine and dandy, no problem. Although the roads around are in trouble - Willington to Repton, the roads round Stenson. And there aren't really any fields round Barrow on (should that be 'Under') Trent and down to Swarkestone - just expanding lakes. The river's due to peak at 3pm in terms of Willington.

I couldn't get your link to work Mac.

What's weird about that though is Lemonroyd Marina didn't exist before the creation of the new lock and the removal of Kippax - I wonder if they mean the marina site? or the site of the proposed marina?

It's a .doc file - you need Office or Open Office or similar to open it. It makes interesting reading, with maps of 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000 year flood areas. Even though you're not there now.

Edited to say, yes, this is an EA flood assessment when the marina was proposed.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Left Shardlow with 2 ft of slack on my ropes. River level a few inches from coming over towpath. Still rising. Took some pics but can't post from my phone. Now in cambs as have a performance this eve.. Fingers crossed it won't go up more than a foot over night.

IIRC there's a flood level mark on Sawley Lock control office, about 3ft up the wall....

There is -

016_thumb%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Oh and before anybody comments yes I googled it - I just didn't have a pic. of my own....

Update on Sawley.

Water now over the top of the non floating pontoons by 2-6" depending where you moor in the marina. Mains electric lost to most of the site including lighting and toilet block on south bank. The River Warren aka Warren Lane has flooded the southern perimeter and is spilling into the marina accross parts of the peri track. We still have about 18 inches travel on the mooring post sliders.

Beer and champagne now running out

Update on Sawley.

Water now over the top of the non floating pontoons by 2-6" depending where you moor in the marina. Mains electric lost to most of the site including lighting and toilet block on south bank. The River Warren aka Warren Lane has flooded the southern perimeter and is spilling into the marina accross parts of the peri track. We still have about 18 inches travel on the mooring post sliders.

Beer and champagne now running out

Further update. Tis a tad damp here but didnt stop me walking to the pub in Sawley. just had great food and beer and the water is still rising. Still able to walk round the marina road as the deepest bit is barely six inches. Pontoons are flooded but its only water. Lectrics still working at our end :D

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

How Deep is water on the road Tim near the Leg & Piggit Plank & Leggit ?

Trying to get a feel for how close we are coming to 2000 levels , Its certain we are above 2007 levels down here on the Soar, but not sure on the Trent which seems around the levels of the 2007 floods.

The Road was closed for a few weeks IIRC in 2000

How Deep is water on the road Tim near the Leg & Piggit Plank & Leggit ?

Trying to get a feel for how close we are coming to 2000 levels , Its certain we are above 2007 levels down here on the Soar, but not sure on the Trent which seems around the levels of the 2007 floods.

The Road was closed for a few weeks IIRC in 2000

Hi mate

Road is closed and the river is running right round the marina as well as down Tamworth road but I suppose at its deepest on Tamworth road it still is not more than 18 inches deep. There is a tranny van broken down there and its up to its front bumper plus a bit more. Still rising mind but not scary yet. :cheers:

Tim

Further update. Tis a tad damp here but didnt stop me walking to the pub in Sawley. just had great food and beer and the water is still rising. Still able to walk round the marina road as the deepest bit is barely six inches. Pontoons are flooded but its only water. Lectrics still working at our end :D

Tim

I went round with Dean trying to fix leccy. Keeps blowing the RCD in the new power box.

It might be ik mdown yoube end but I have no wellies!

Edited by jelunga

According to the travel reports there is a 17 mile closure of the A38 north of Lichfield, all the way to the A50 (Willington). Serious stuff.

I have to get to Willington on wednesday..will I get down the A50 and to the marina, or is it flooded that way?

Have to say I'm sorry to hear about the state of things in Sawley, Shardlow etc. Hope everyone comes through this with minimal problems.If it helps to indicate what is still to come down to where you are; here at Tamworth the Tame was falling yesterday until sometime around middle day. After that it began rising again and I estimate it went up 18" by nightfall. It appears to have carried on rising in the night, but I had to get a train and didn't have time to have a proper look at how bad it was. I don't think the lowest flood walls I've seen had much freeboard left at times though, perhaps 12 to 15"?I was away all day, but coming back this evening it didn't appear to have fallen significantly after I left this morning. That suggests there is a lot of high water still to go down to the Trent and beyond. The Tame valley here below Tamworth is like Matty40s says the Soar is; water right across the fields from one side of the flood plain to the other. I've seen it over the fields before here, but only flowing through the hedge bottoms. This time I can't see the hedges at all in the worst spots! Meanwhile it's raining again.On the plus side, the Tame on the outskirts of Birmingham as I passed by on the train this morning was right back down to roughly normal winter average levels I'd say.

I have to get to Willington on wednesday..will I get down the A50 and to the marina, or is it flooded that way?

A50 should be fine, we went thru willington today on the boat and traffic was moving as normal, further up tho the A38 is under water.