RIVER TRENT SAWLEY

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps

Just in case any of you out there has your boat in Sawley Marina take care if coming to the boat. We went out at 11 this morning and although river was high it was no problem. Just come back and the road at the front of the Marina is about a foot deep and rising. The river has burst its banks and its getting higher, road will be closed very soon methinks.

I suggest anyone berthed in here ensures their ropes will go up and down the risers in case it gets worse. If you are miles away and unable to check your boat please pm me and I will attend to it for you. :cheers:

Tim

• Greenie 1

So why does Lemonroyd have floating pontoons? It's on the top side of a very deep lock, ie well above the river, and unlikely to be flooded. Or am I wrong?

Edited to say I just found Lemonroyd Flood risk assessment

Apparently a 1 in 100 year risk - perhaps this is the year!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

The Dog House ponders why Sawley doesn't have floating pontoons like Lemonroyd had......?

Good offer though Tim.... :cheers:

Hi Martin

Yes quite :wacko: Dave our Lockie been here long time says this never happens !!! Tis a tad damp here though at the moment but not raining and clear skies :cheers:

Tim

So why does Lemonroyd have floating pontoons? It's on the top side of a very deep lock, ie well above the river, and unlikely to be flooded. Or am I wrong?

Edited to say I just found Lemonroyd Flood risk assessment

Apparently a 1 in 100 year risk - perhaps this is the year!

I don't know why it does Mac, I just know it has (aside from the moorings around the edge). It's on a lengthy canalised section that runs from the lock outside the marina entrance almost to Leeds, whereas Sawley is I would think in a much riskier location.

The levels do change at Lemonroyd though not by much - till now perhaps...

From memory the pontoons outside Sawley for Derby boat club are fixed too..... :(

I don't know why it does Mac, I just know it has (aside from the moorings around the edge). It's on a lengthy canalised section that runs from the lock outside the marina entrance almost to Leeds, whereas Sawley is I would think in a much riskier location.

The levels do change at Lemonroyd though not by much - till now perhaps...

From memory the pontoons outside Sawley for Derby boat club are fixed too..... :(

Just spoken to my friend who moors there. Fixed pontoons but sliders like in Sawley Marina.

Water is lapping at the edges from Warren Lane at the moment and creeping in at the main gate. But still have about 2 or 3 foot on the sliders

Smelly - Jelunga - - take care chaps

Stay warm, stay dry, and guess how long before 'The Management' realise that they can increase next year's mooring fees by 20% because they've supplied you with an extra 20% of water this Autumn?

They have arranged this to clear the weed.

I'm sure that someone will put me right. Why is Sawley Marina subject to flooding? There is a flood lock just above & I know that water will come over/through, but does it not just disappear down Sawley Locks? Is it a case of the water being so high that it tops Sawley locks?

Sawley Flood lock is now topped and acting as a weir. The water has flooded Tamworth Road, the main road from Sawley uo Castke Donington. The road at the side of the nariba, Warren Lane is aksj under about 6" water. The pubvhs closed, Plank n Leggitt so no beer. Things are getting desparate. Luckily we still have 5 bottles of Champagne i. Stock after oumr wedding anniversary karty sk things are not too bad.

Forgjve the poor spalling. Only 4 bottkes in champagne now!

Edited by jelunga

I'm sure that someone will put me right. Why is Sawley Marina subject to flooding? There is a flood lock just above & I know that water will come over/through, but does it not just disappear down Sawley Locks? Is it a case of the water being so high that it tops Sawley locks?

Hi

The flood lock is under water :wacko: and the river is coming across the fields at Sawley and across the road. As of yet the marina is not flooded but it aint looking too good at the moment.. :cheers:

Tim

Sawley Flood lock is now topped and acting as a weir. The water has flooded Tamworth Road, the main road from Sawley uo Castke Donington. The road at the side of the nariba, Warren Lane is aksj under about 6" water. The pubvhs closed, Plank n Leggitt so no beer. Things are getting desparate. Luckily we still have 5 bottles of Champagne i. Stock after oumr wedding anniversary karty sk things are not too bad.

Forgjve the poor spalling. Only 4 bottkes in champagne now!

Bloody posh sod down at the bottom end of the Gulag. I am supping beer up here at the working class moorings !!! :cheers:

Hi all

Taken from the BWML website:-

Sawley Marina, Nottinghamshire

Sawley Marina is located on a navigational cut of the River Trent near Long Eaton, Nottingham and is the largest Inland Marina in the United Kingdom, with a water space of 23 acres. Quality flood protected moorings with electricity and water at each location are provided for 600 boats.

So nothing at all to worry about, it will all be fine Really?

cheers.gif

A

I've known sawley marina to flood a few times, & boats get into trouble getting gunwales caught under pontoons that have stopped rising. Keep a good eye on your boats, & those around you!

Interesting observation that Ally, Sawley Marina doesn't have floating pontoons. Rising rings on posts, if they don't jam

cheers.gif

A

Hi all

Taken from the BWML website:-

Sawley Marina, Nottinghamshire

Sawley Marina is located on a navigational cut of the River Trent near Long Eaton, Nottingham and is the largest Inland Marina in the United Kingdom, with a water space of 23 acres. Quality flood protected moorings with electricity and water at each location are provided for 600 boats.

So nothing at all to worry about, it will all be fine Really?

cheers.gif

A

I have ceased to believe any of BWML's lies oops advertising about this marina.

"extensive CCTV coverage"

"security"

All total speroids.

I hope their promise about flood protection is more true.

I have ceased to believe any of BWML's lies oops advertising about this marina.

"extensive CCTV coverage"

"security"

All total speroids.

I hope their promise about flood protection is more true.

Now then Keith. How much security do you want? my problem with this place is there is too much poxy security. For instance this evening to get to your boat peeps have to go through not one but two very big padlocked gates, even during the day your Gulag section is locked all the time behind one huge steel gate. Luckily for me during the day I can actualy get to my boat without having to unlock a gate which is why I am at the best mooring spot and aint moving. Do you think the marina should provide armed guards to each pontoon or perhaps we could all become vigilantes ;)

Tim

Trent now at same level as Trent and Mersey. Crockers bit flooded at far end, but water level same. Derwent spilling over the fields at church Wilne. Shardlow flood gates shut, and tree down blocking tow path between flood gates and bridge 2. I've loosened my ropes.... (I'm just next to bridge 1) . Trent due to rise until 5 am. Just started raining again.. I have two cases of wine, just in case ;)

I'm referring to derwent mouth lock... Just in case that wasn't immediately obvious :)

The Dog House ponders why Sawley doesn't have floating pontoons like Lemonroyd had......?

Good offer though Tim.... :cheers:

Lemonroyd can't flood can it?

:unsure:

Edit, as I should have at least read one of the following posts before posting my question..

Edited by Gazboatman

Lemonroyd can't flood can it?

:unsure:

Only that pesky dip in the access road as far as I am aware. :angry:

I suppose in theory as it's next to a river yes it could but there would need to be a massive rise in the levels of the Aire which as you know runs parallel to the canalised section.

I don't believe it has ever flooded though.