Potential Drama Unfolding

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

Should the emergency services be notified? I can't do this webcam but I do hope you're not going to watch a boat sink.

I think that this is fair comment and as the OP I have just taken it upon myself to contact the North Yorkshire police force via the non-emergency 101 contact number (not a 999 matter just at the moment methinks) and put them in the picture.

Once I had explained how I was able to monitor a potential incident on their patch from Strathclyde, in Scotland (not very easy I can tell you) they promised me that they would act. At least we can now sleep easy - although my thoughts are very much with all those out there checking mooring ropes and the like at 3 hourly intervals. The water coming past my boat is just going straight out into the Clyde a few hundred yards away like it always does, weiring over the lock gates day in, day out!!

• Greenie 3

I think there are people on board. there's a light on at the back. earlier two windows were lit up. I doubt they're sitting watching the telly oblivious of the situation. More likely having kittens about being moored the wrong way round and staying up ready to pole themselves back above the river should the level start to drop. Lets hope so. Perhaps the more manouvrable cruiser is a friend who's ready to help them evacuate if it comes to it.

I think that this is fair comment and as the OP I have just taken it upon myself to contact the North Yorkshire police force via the non-emergency 101 contact number (not a 999 matter just at the moment methinks) and put them in the picture.

Once I had explained how I was able to monitor a potential incident on their patch from Strathclyde, in Scotland (not very easy I can tell you) they promised me that they would act. At least we can now sleep easy - although my thoughts are very much with all those out there checking mooring ropes and the like at 3 hourly intervals. The water coming past my boat is just going straight out into the Clyde a few hundred yards away like it always does, weiring over the lock gates day in, day out!!

Little sign of any activity around the boat so far, did you get the impression they were taking it seriously?

Little sign of any activity around the boat so far, did you get the impression they were taking it seriously?

I reckon they did take it seriously. It will need waders or an inflatable to reach them now.

Going on the speed that the water rose during the floods last month, the boat is only likely to go over the top of the posts as dawn approaches. However, all the rain that fell in the South West, Midlands, etc is reporting to have headed NE and will be dumping on the Ouse's North York Moors catchment area ever now.

For some reason I am unable to sleep! Why when I am tucked up in bricks and mortar on the top of a hill I have no idea?

I see the railings are now totally submerged. It no longer looks as though any of the windows on the narrow boat are illuminated. I have not been watching so I have no way of knowing if any rescue attempt has been made or not.

The resolution of the webcam image makes it hard to tell but the boat looks lower in the water to me. It may just be my imagination though as there is no obvious list and I would have imagined if the ropes had gone tight it would be listing.

I sincerely hope there is a positive outcome to this in the morning

For some reason I am unable to sleep! Why when I am tucked up in bricks and mortar on the top of a hill I have no idea?

I see the railings are now totally submerged. It no longer looks as though any of the windows on the narrow boat are illuminated. I have not been watching so I have no way of knowing if any rescue attempt has been made or not.

The resolution of the webcam image makes it hard to tell but the boat looks lower in the water to me. It may just be my imagination though as there is no obvious list and I would have imagined if the ropes had gone tight it would be listing.

I sincerely hope there is a positive outcome to this in the morning

I have been observing the cam on and off since earlier this evening, and from what I can make out, there seems to be a security light or something which lights up every now and again illuminating the boat, which gives the impression the lights are on. Also I wouldn't say there has been any change with how the boat sits in the water.

The water level has been rising slowly in the last few hours and has just submerged the last visible post, the last time this part of the Ouse flooded, it went right up just below the top of that street sign, leaving about 4 or 5 inch visible, before it went back down.

Fingers crossed for the owners if they're onboard or not.

It is still looking OK, presumably the boat and anybody on it has now been attended/contacted by the emergency services, along with it's GRP neighbour.

It does look this morning as if there are internal lights on the full length of the boat.

ed . which are now out again. :unsure:

Edited by The Dog House

Been looking at the web cam most of the night and watching the top of the fence post go under,thay seem to be sitting with no list.

On the York Rowing Club webcam site http://www.ycrc.co.uk/webcam - about 1/4 mile upstream from here - the EA state that the river is still rising. Just before midnight the river level was described as being 'Seven steps from the top.' It is currently described as 'Four steps from the top.'

When the river last flooded (little more than a month ago) I can't remember how the height of the water up the No Entry sign equated with 'steps from the top' on the Rowing Club webcam site - afterall I had no reason to! Lets just hope that the river is near its peak as I very much suspect that a water level a few inches below the top of the No Entry sign equates with the nb going over the top of the bankside posts.

I reckon they did take it seriously. It will need waders or an inflatable to reach them now.

Going on the speed that the water rose during the floods last month, the boat is only likely to go over the top of the posts as dawn approaches. However, all the rain that fell in the South West, Midlands, etc is reporting to have headed NE and will be dumping on the Ouse's North York Moors catchment area ever now.

Most of the North York Moors catchment area drain via the Derwent which joins the Ouse a long way downstream from York. It's the Yorkshire Dales catchment area that we need to worry about. However I suspect it is raining there too.

Most of the North York Moors catchment area drain via the Derwent which joins the Ouse a long way downstream from York. It's the Yorkshire Dales catchment area that we need to worry about. However I suspect it is raining there too.

Thank you for putting me right on that one Alway Swilby. The BBC forecast for Yorkshire for today:

Yorkshire and Humber

Forecast Summary

Today

A cloudy, wet day for most with rain throughout the day for most parts, often heavy, giving a risk of local flooding. Perhaps drier later in some southern counties. Feeling cold as northeasterly winds strengthen.

Tonight

Rain continuing across the region overnight, often heavy, especially over hills, giving a risk of local flooding in places. Strong northeasterly winds.

Likewise. Thanks to the OP for notifying the emergency services, hopefully they will have made an informed assessment on the ground.

The level appears to be stabilizing from the webcam pictures and this would seem to be backed up by the EA Viking recorder close to this Staith: http://www.environme...stationId=8208.

My concern now is over the rain currently falling and the wet forecast over the next 24hrs. Are there any options still open to the owners of these two boats if the water level does continue to rise?

http://www.environme...?stationId=8208 = complete link (which is also in post 37 if this fails to show properly again)

Edited by Theo
Remove unnecessary vitriol.

Sorry for the interruption, people.

Just removed a few posts which added nothing but unpleasantness to the discussion.

Nick

Just curious, but if you have posts deleted that have amassed a large haul of "greenies", do you still keep those "greenies", or does your count get set back down again as the posts are deleted?

:wacko::blink::wacko:

Sorry for the interruption, people.

Just removed a few posts which added nothing but unpleasantness to the discussion.

Nick

Seems better that we focus on the plight of two boats rather than a disagreement between two boaters. Being a newbie here it's rather passing me by ..........

Just curious, but if you have posts deleted that have amassed a large haul of "greenies", do you still keep those "greenies", or does your count get set back down again as the posts are deleted?

AFAIK They will remain in the total. Actually, it is quite rare to delete a post completely. We generally unapprove them. Mods can read them but they disappear from your displays.

Nick

But why not moor up facing the 'wrong' way, secure both ends, step ashore, leave the bow tied, untie the stern and the boat will pretty much spin itself around and face the correct way. If the bow is secured correctly it should n't drift off.

Secure stern - step aboard....

I really like the way people on this forum think everything is so simple. If you let the stern go in a strong stream you will find that the boat will spin around rather quickly. It shouldn't drift off as long as the bow cleat doesn't snap off!

A boat at Teddington weir tried this several months ago and the entire stern end was ripped off (mind you it was a wooden boat).

Anyway, it might have worked but once the water level rose it was too late to try that.

Edited by blackrose

I really like the way people on this forum think everything is so simple. If you let the stern go in a strong stream you will find that the boat will spin around rather quickly. It shouldn't drift off as long as the bow cleat doesn't snap off!

A boat at Teddington weir tried this several months ago and the entire stern end was ripped off (mind you it was a wooden boat).

Anyway, it might have worked but once the water level rose it was too late to try that.

I did wonder - hence it was phrased as a question, it was an enquiry that I hoped those with experience could answer for my own future reference.

It was simply based on experience turning GRP boats on the broads with the tide which of course. We often turn our own boat on the river using this method - if the flow is in the right direction of course and of course it is no way as strong as we are seeing here -

Edited by The Dog House

Perhaps you get to keep the greenies, but you just lose everyone's respect?

I never bother with the greenie thing - I still don't really understand what that's all about.

I did wonder - hence it was phrased as a question, it was an enquiry that I hoped those with experience could answer for my own future reference.

It was simply based on experience turning GRP boats on the broads with the tide which of course. We often turn our own boat on the river using this method - if the flow is in the right direction of course and of course it is no way as strong as we are seeing here -

Sorry it was phrased as a question, but it just sounded like a rhetorical question to me - as though you were quite sure of yourself. Perhaps it was the "Secure stern - step aboard...." bit that I mistunderstood as indicating the simplicity of the whole operation.

Anyway, it's another example of how what we write can be taken in a number of unintended ways.