Age distribution on liveaboards

brian1042

Featured Posts

To make it easier, how about figures for the main categories. Gross generalisations, of course:

•  
  • Younger folk who can't afford a house
  • Older folk with equity in a house
  • Men in their forties/fifites whose wife got the house
  • Other

I don't suppose there are any official figures, but do experienced members have a feel for the kind of age distribution of liveaboard boaters?

Is there any particular reason why you are asking the question?

I don't suppose there are any official figures, but do experienced members have a feel for the kind of age distribution of liveaboard boaters?

I was 34 when i first moved aboard and I am 57 now. What category does that put me in?

Tim

I'm 44 and the good lady is 40 and we move aboard fully in 2 weeks. We are renting our house out and this allows me to retire (for a while anyway). We will re-assess the situation as each rental agreement expires (6 monthly) but have agreed that we should really have a minimum of 2 years on the boat to make a long term decision (like sell the house).

I must be "other" as well then.

I young, 27, but don't own a boat because I'm skint.

I have my own apartment and rent that out because I preferred or wanted to have a boat.

I agree with a previous poster, statistics are rubbish just made to suit whichever company is paying for them, I'm sure people who own or live on boats all have different situations, not just the few mentioned above

Edited by lewisericeric

I must be "other" as well then.

I young, 27, but don't own a boat because I'm skint.

I have my own apartment and rent that out because I preferred or wanted to have a boat.

I agree with a previous poster, statistics are rubbish just made to suit whichever company is paying for them, I'm sure people who own or live on boats all have different situations, not just the few mentioned above

old gits who just like living on their boats......I agree lies, damn lies, statistics :rolleyes:

Is there any particular reason why you are asking the question?

Yes. I am doing a lot of homework on different boat possibilities and am almost ready to go ahead and move aboard. I am wondering how usual or unusual it is for someone of my age (almost 60). I also wonder if there will be lots of people around of similar ages. It is really part idle curiosity and part thinking 'Am I mad to do this now?' I guess there is a kind of comfort possibility if I discover that it is not unusual for people to be living aboard in their seventies. The other thing that I thought about is that maybe people can often only afford the right boat and the lifestyle once they retire, so perhaps this skews the distribution towrds older people.

In the end it won't deter me or encourage me, but I am a curious person by nature I guess. One could ask 'Why ask anything?' but that itslef is an example of human curiosity, as is your question :>)

Thanks.

Yes. I am doing a lot of homework on different boat possibilities and am almost ready to go ahead and move aboard. I am wondering how usual or unusual it is for someone of my age (almost 60). I also wonder if there will be lots of people around of similar ages. It is really part idle curiosity and part thinking 'Am I mad to do this now?' I guess there is a kind of comfort possibility if I discover that it is not unusual for people to be living aboard in their seventies. The other thing that I thought about is that maybe people can often only afford the right boat and the lifestyle once they retire, so perhaps this skews the distribution towrds older people.

In the end it won't deter me or encourage me, but I am a curious person by nature I guess. One could ask 'Why ask anything?' but that itslef is an example of human curiosity, as is your question :>)

Thanks.

If ageism is relevant to your reasons for asking for advice, you may as well sign up now for sheltered housing or a care home :rolleyes:.

BUT, most boaters do what they enjoy and age is irrelevant as far as fitting in with the boating community. It is attitudes, personality and a love and interest in waterways that matters. As long as you are reasonably fit and healthy you should fit in at any age, it isn't an issue.

Phil

(OAP who has owned a boat since aged 19)