Age distribution on liveaboards

brian1042

Featured Posts

Yes. I am doing a lot of homework on different boat possibilities and am almost ready to go ahead and move aboard. I am wondering how usual or unusual it is for someone of my age (almost 60). I also wonder if there will be lots of people around of similar ages. It is really part idle curiosity and part thinking 'Am I mad to do this now?' I guess there is a kind of comfort possibility if I discover that it is not unusual for people to be living aboard in their seventies.

I'm nearer 70 than 60, and my nearest liveaboard neighbour is 70. We both share the attitude "the only way they'll get me off my boat is in a wooden box" :cheers:

I'm nearer 70 than 60, and my nearest liveaboard neighbour is 70. We both share the attitude "the only way they'll get me off my boat is in a wooden box" :cheers:

We're nearer 80 than 70, and our immediate neighbours mid 80s, and all actively cruise continental waterways. I think the majority of newcomers to barging here are probably newly retired couples. However these are mostly buying fairly sophisticated barges with most of the mod cons found in a house.

My only reservations about the OP is if he has always lived in a house and has no knowledge of boats it could be a severe shock to the system actually coming in to full time residential boating at his age. There are a lot of mental adjustments as well as the need to be fairly fit. As commonly suggested when this topc comes up, he needs to get out and talk to people who do live aboard before he makes up his mind.

As a p.s. I do hope the OP's not yet another person looking for a cheap residence, but is talking about cruising the system.

Well I'm 46 and I'm stuck on this boat. I cannot imagine a life any better, the people, the scenery, the freedom and the lower cost of living. I just can't imagine living in a house with all that stress and pressure.

I'll remind you of that Paul when i next see you struggling up the towpath carrying bags of shopping, computers, guitars and sweating and two children hanging around your feet.

Darren

Thank you to everyone for the helpful replies. It is good to know that people here do not make sweeping generalisations and appear open and without prejudice.

I think they are the normal cross section of prejudiced misfits and nonconformists that could be expected to live on a railway carriage on water often with limited facilities. Normal people live in 'little boxes.. all the same' damn that applies to narrowboats too!

Most retired people that I have met that liveaboard are finally forced off the water by ill health and/or physical inability to tote gas bottles, shopping etc - if your are fit, have a beard and a beanie you will have no problem fitting in.

I think they are the normal cross section of prejudiced misfits and nonconformists that could be expected to live on a railway carriage on water often with limited facilities. Normal people live in 'little boxes.. all the same' damn that applies to narrowboats too!

Most retired people that I have met that liveaboard are finally forced off the water by ill health and/or physical inability to tote gas bottles, shopping etc - if your are fit, have a beard and a beanie you will have no problem fitting in.

neither my wife nor myself can grow a beard, will this disadvantage us?

Don

Yes. I am almost ready to go ahead and move aboard. I am wondering how usual or unusual it is for someone of my age (almost 60).

Thanks.

I'm at the same age and stage as you (and my wife 4 years younger) and hopefully soon to become a retired liveaboard by early spring. But this is after years of research using books, existing liveaboards, and this fantastic forum, and having had 30 years of narrowboating nearly every year.

So to summarise

We aren't doing it to save money.

We haven't gone into it with our eyes closed.

We're of reasonable health at the moment and recognise it's going to be physically demanding.

We will accept the loss of many home comforts but that the lifestyle will more than make up for this.

Despite having spent ages researhing and looking for our 'ideal boat' we know that once onboard it might not be.

I'm going to grow a beard. :glare:

At our age it looks like we won't feel out of place !!!

As a p.s. I do hope the OP's not yet another person looking for a cheap residence, but is talking about cruising the system.

I very much welcome advice, and really do not want to offend or come across as one of those people that asks for advice and then ignores it or argues against it.

Having stated that, I hope the Forum is a two-way exchange. I am curious as to why this matters to you (cheap residence etc).

Out of interest my intention is to do a mix of cruising and stopping. Everyone's circumstances are different, and, in my case, in my current circumstances, it would be cheaper to live aboard than to retain my rented flat. I do not see anything wrong in that being in the equation. Is it a problem for you if I view it that way? Cost of being aboard vs cost of staying in my current situation is one of many factors. It is not the main one as I could simply move to cheaper land-based accommodation if it were. I think I would be crazy to consider any kind of move without considering the costs. Having consiered them, in this case, as mentioned, it would be cheaper to live aboard. I am pretty pleased with that. I hope you are pleased for me :>)

When you state ''yet another person', is there any hard evidence that lost of people are looking for cheap residences and they do not want to crusie the system?

Again, apologies if I offend anyone. It is not intended and I am curious about these views.

Edited by brian1042

The age distribution on our liveaboard boat was 0 to 40...unless you're counting dog years too.

No...it would disqualify you. ;)

Disqualified or not, we are both booked on our way, arrival UK early April to buy our own boat, departure for a compulsory UK mandated B****Off period for six months in October.

Beware of reverse colonisation. Julia Gillard or Helen Clark as first democratically elected Queen? Holden to supply the next State Carriage? Peter Jackson to direct the next Royal marriage? Mounties outside Buck House, Mitt Romney as Leader of the Opposition?

Don

DandV

Hope you have a great time

:cheers:

We have no other reason for coming! thanks for the best wishes Looking forward to seeing you all in person. We are looking forward to sharing your authentic English beers and cider and our authentic New Zealand and Australian wines.

Don