obscure canals

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Markeaton Brook definitely was navigable for a short section, as mentioned and there was a carriers warehouse near the junction with the Derwent. The interesting point, in this respect, is that Trent Boats reached this spot after the Derby Canal was constructed through a flash lock in the weir on the west side of the river. Boats would navigate the canal and pass across the Derwent en route between the Swarkestone Line and that that went to Sandiacre. The lock enabled boats to turn off the navigation and onto the Derwent, when levels were level either side of the weir.

As for obscure canals how about the Arisaig? and of course for Laurence the Foxyards Canal

Ray Shill

The chamber for the flash lock is still exists. I do remember Ike Argent saying that he had worked through it but I don't know at what date or whether or not the gate was still in position. If you follow the Derwent upstream to just below the Darley Abbey weir on the left hand bank there is what appears to be the remains of a lock or sluice with an obvious if faint trace of a watercourse leading to the top of the weir. I have been unable to find any mention of this but do know that a local archaeological society was considering an excavation. If there was a lock then it probably predates the canal age as the boats for Darley Abbey mill did I believe use wharfage on the opposite side of the river. It could have been used by the Derwent Navigation Co. or be even earlier. There is walling of at least this age exposed a little further downstream at low water. I think that the Roman's used the Derwent to supply their settlement at Derventio and it is known that they used many of our rivers and constructed navigation works on them. Regards, HughC.

That is an interesting fact- a flash lock that remains! This would surely be a suitable subject for an archeological study.

I note the reference to Woodeaves Cotton Mill, Derbyshire. The mill lade, I suppose is the canal referred to. Ordnance Survey maps indicate that it was quite wide.

Ray Shill

That is an interesting fact- a flash lock that remains! This would surely be a suitable subject for an archeological study.

I note the reference to Woodeaves Cotton Mill, Derbyshire. The mill lade, I suppose is the canal referred to. Ordnance Survey maps indicate that it was quite wide.

Ray Shill

Sheepwash Staunch on Brandon Creek still remains, it has been by passed as the weir has been removed. In 2001 you could still boat through it. ISTR that there were still gate remains.

Dscn2516.jpg

The structure of Kings Staunch at the end of navigation of the River Lark is also intact

Dscn2815.jpg

Where is this former river navigation? It was in use for around twenty years before being bypassed.

8166856431_16f0444951_z.jpg

Edited to add a video of a flash lock next to the Canal du Nivernais in France. The lock is used for rafting timber and has a greater fall than those used by boats.

Flash lock

Edited by Pluto

The Pinxton Arm of the Cromford Canal, heading North from just before you get to Butterley Tunnel coming from the Langley Mill direction. The bridge over its entrance was still intact when I walked the course of the canal about eight years ago.

The Pinxton Arm of the Cromford Canal, heading North from just before you get to Butterley Tunnel coming from the Langley Mill direction. The bridge over its entrance was still intact when I walked the course of the canal about eight years ago.

Sorry, but it's a bit further north, to give a clue.

Sorry, but it's a bit further north, to give a clue.

Sorry for the misunderstanding: I was not proffereing an answer to your quiz question, I was just proposing another obscure canalis anoraktis for the thread.

Douglas?

You know me too well Hugh. It is the River Douglas above Sollom Lock. It opened for navigation in 1741 and was bypassed by a new canal from Rufford to Sollom circa 1760. When the Rufford branch was built in 1780, it linked this short length of canal with the main line at Burscough.

How about two canals on Scottish Islands? The latest discerned seems to be one on South Uist, from the thirteenth century or earlier. Followers of the Waterways History Research Group may have read about this very recently.

If only the C&RT extended to Scotland, this could be one for them, eh?

Can think of some more, but will come back to this.

Joseph

Another Scottish Waterway was the Dingwall Canal, which was effectively a river deviation (the Peffrey) for the navigation of boats to two seperate harbours at Dingwall. David Wilson was the engineer and work to build sub contracted to a welshman William Hughes. Thomas Telford also had a hand in making various improvements. It was finally completed in March 1817 and was disused after 1884.

Ray Shill

How about the 180 foot long canal my mate built (with a single lock gate in it) in his garden so he could still have his boat but pay no licence or mooring fees. When Google rephoto the country from the air it should appear (only built 2 years ago).

The Werneth Canal is one that i have only just become aware of. It would appear to be a short branch off the Hollinwood Branch off the Ashton.

Tried to put a link to Martin Clarks Pennine Waterways but it wont have it.

Not really a branch, more an extension of the Hollinwood branch. Apparently paid for by the Ashton Canal Co. and built outwith the required Act of parliament. The Werneth Coal Co , were empowered to build a private canal but the Ashton Co wanted to get the coal business from the colliery . It is no coincidence that certain interested persons were directors of both companies. The Canal Co, paid for the building and subsequent maintenance of the canal. The summit level was severed around 1880 with the construction of the direct railway route from Manchester to Oldham, now a Metrolink tram route.

Bill

Another two for Laurence- Bradley Hall Branch of the BCN and the nearby Bradley Marr Branch (which had a staircase pair) Bradley Marr was a private canal and I do wonder if any parts remain buried. Perhaps if Bradley Locks are restored, Bradley Marr might be the subject of an archeolgical dig.

Ray Shill

Another two for Laurence- Bradley Hall Branch of the BCN and the nearby Bradley Marr Branch (which had a staircase pair) Bradley Marr was a private canal and I do wonder if any parts remain buried. Perhaps if Bradley Locks are restored, Bradley Marr might be the subject of an archeolgical dig.

Ray Shill

You might have a slight problem with the housing estates if these are where I think they are. Map?

Sometimes I get a bit cheesed off with all this technical stuff about boats: I'm a canal enthusiast not a boat enthusiast, so I wondered who would pick up on this one.

Entry number one

Hollins Canal

Crossed it several times in the last few days, although you wouldn't know unless you could see the rbidge parapet behind the regent cinema

entry number two

Compstall Navigation

Any more bids please

I'm sure you're familiar with the Cambridge Arm of the G&S:

My link

How about Hednesford basin? Theres still a blue and white enamel "wavy anchor" BW sign at the entrance to the site proclaiming "Private right of way" etc, problem is when you get to the bottom theres no canal, no sign of it at all!!!!

Edited by Laurence Hogg