obscure canals

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Sometimes I get a bit cheesed off with all this technical stuff about boats: I'm a canal enthusiast not a boat enthusiast, so I wondered who would pick up on this one.

Entry number one

Hollins Canal

Crossed it several times in the last few days, although you wouldn't know unless you could see the rbidge parapet behind the regent cinema

entry number two

Compstall Navigation

Any more bids please

Sometimes I get a bit cheesed off with all this technical stuff about boats: I'm a canal enthusiast not a boat enthusiast, so I wondered who would pick up on this one.

Entry number one

Hollins Canal

Crossed it several times in the last few days, although you wouldn't know unless you could see the rbidge parapet behind the regent cinema

entry number two

Compstall Navigation

Any more bids please

Also on Peter Whitehead's wonderful website:

The Stockport Navigation

(not to be confused with the Stockport Branch of the Ashton Canal.)

Entry number one

Hollins Canal

If you are on a boat going through Marple Locks and know that it is there, it is very obvious.

Could I nominate that pound as "shortest pound to have two private branches leading off it"

Had a lot of fun trying to navigate the Westport canal in Somerset years ago with Chris Coburn, it was supposed to be "restored" but what we found was full of reeds, good fun though. Then theres the Eardingtoncanal with its tunnel off the Severn, thats overlooked by most. The Teme navigation fascinates me too.

My local one: Cassington Cut.

That used to be a good mooring spot just off the river but it's now very overgrown.

I haven't stopped there for many many years, but there used to be stone walls from the old wharf and lock still surviving. As kids, we used to canoe up to Cassington village.

Caistor Canal, off the River Ancholme

Wiki Linky

It is (was?) still navigable into the first lock chamber...but we hit capping stones / rocky debris.

Maybe worth further exploring as EA had a clear out in 2010.

P1010155.jpg

Entrance to Caistor Canal

P1010157.jpg

Caistor Canal, Beck End Lock

Woodeaves Canal. North of Ashbourne near Fenny Bentley

Lea Wood or Nightingale arm off the Cromford.

I think the Woodseaves Canal takes the prize for being the first one suggested I've never heard of! :o:lol:

The others would defintely be obscure by most boaters standards B)

So in this game or Mornington Canal, I'm going to suggest Sir Andrew Woods Canal, Fife

Sir Andrew Woods

Markeaton brook.

If this counts!!

Definatly! One of Derby's best kept secrets but loads of evidence if you know where to look. Obscure but seemed to be a system within the city early on. I researchd this extensivly for my film "Navigation to Derby"

And of course the Chillington Hall canal, although in grounds designed by Capability Brown there is evidence that this once connected with the Shropshire Union canal in the westerly direction and the wolverhampton Turnpike in the easterly direction, still in the main in water!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Markeaton brook and its possible branches is certainly allowable. When I worked in Agard Street in the 1960's there was still behind the laundry the remains of a wharf with ring(s) on the wall. This was only just downstream of the probable head of navigation. The Arm at Stoneyford on the Cromford which still exists as a dry ditch showing in places a perfect profile might also be included. Then of course there are the boating levels on mine soughs. I am sure that somewhere I have seen a photograph of a small boat tied at the mouth of the Meerbrook sough where it joins the Derwent.

I think I'll give a quick mention to the former underground canal at Burbage, near Buxton.

If you are going for underground canals, I have a list of around fifty, such as the one at Neston Colliery which headed out towards Wales under the Dee Estuary, or the one in a coal mine between Rochdale and Oldham.

If you are going for underground canals, I have a list of around fifty, such as the one at Neston Colliery which headed out towards Wales under the Dee Estuary, or the one in a coal mine between Rochdale and Oldham.

Or the ones at Worsley, complete with inclined planes an' stuff.