Ettequite for passing moored boats.

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

There is one pair of working boats that has a reputation for never ever slowing down past moored boats. Well, I got him back when I was at the Rickmansworth festival, he shouts "Oi, mate, slow down past moored boats", to which I replied, "I tell you what mate, when you slow down past my boat, I will slow down past yours".

Touche!

Where did it come from this 'slow past boats' nonsense? Originally. Who thought it up?

There is nowhere in the whole wide world people regulate the speed of boat traffic according to the needs of moored boats. The channel, the banks, they all regulate speed but moored boats?

If you want to moor at the side of a navigation channel then tie up in such a way that's not disturbed by normal navigation.

Now there's boats all over the place people can't be expected to spend hours on tickovef.

Tie it up properly.

So whose idea was it?

It has been in the Bye-Laws for over 40 years.

Even with boats all over the place (can it be that Chris Pink is suggesting that there are mile upon mile of moored craft), the difference that being considerate makes in terms of the time taken to get anywhere is minimal.

Then again, why should anybody be surprised that courtesy to others is so far down your list.

40 years is not a long time for a custom that is pretty well unique to the midlands canals.

I said over 40 years.

In actual fact, we can see it as a rule since at least 1965, so that makes 48 years.

That means that it has been the rule for around 25% of the history of many canals

40 years is not a long time for a custom that is pretty well unique to the midlands canals.

btw if I'm as rude to you as you've just been to me will you bleat and whinge like you normally do?

Not sure if I should join now it's getting personnel , but 40 years probably covers the majority if not all the forum members boating experience so long enough to establish he current way of doing things methinks.

You are, I believe because I don't have access to the bye laws right now, interpreting that as slow down past moored boats rather than a literal reading.

Your 25% is witty but nog particularly pertinent as it would presumably only apply to motor boats as a. There would be great difficulty getting horses to slow in the way you describe and b. it was against the rules to moor against the towpath.

Hence my question to which it is your choice whether you look upon it as an interesting enquiry or simply an excuse to blether the same old, same old.

I

Has it?

I trawled through this lot (all 33 pages), and couldn't find any reference to slowing down past moored boats. (May have missed it, though :rolleyes: )

Iain

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/foi/legal/BW_General_Canal_Bye-laws.pdf

BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD

BYE-LAWS

for prohibiting or controlling water-skiing or any similar

activity on canals belonging to or under the control of the

British Waterways Board and for the increase in penalties

for breach of bye-laws made pursuant to the powers of the

British Transport Commission Act 1954 (as amended by

British Waterways Act 1971)

Water-skiing

Water skiing only

with consent

3. No person shall carry on water-skiing on any canal without the

consent of the Board which consent may be subject to conditions

You are, I believe because I don't have access to the bye laws right now, interpreting that as slow down past moored boats rather than a literal reading.

Your 25% is witty but nog particularly pertinent as it would presumably only apply to motor boats as a. There would be great difficulty getting horses to slow in the way you describe and b. it was against the rules to moor against the towpath.

Hence my question to which it is your choice whether you look upon it as an interesting enquiry or simply an excuse to blether the same old, same old.

I

Slightly :smiley_offtopic: As someone who is old enough to remember the few horse boats that were still around in the 1960's, I remember them doing something akin to that. I have no recollection of them "slowing" when passing other boats, but they certainly did it through bridge holes. When the horse reached a bridge hole they slowed, effectively allowing the boat to float through under it's own momentum, only taking up the strain when the boat was through. I was told that the boat would not progress any faster than the amount of water in the bridge hole would permit, so pulling a boat through a restriction placed an unecccessary stress on the horse.

The principle also applies to deep draughted boats on shallow canals, as taking the engine out of gear raises the bottom of the boat and limits the draw of water from under the boat. It works most of the time and on some canals where the bridge holes seem to collect leaves, also helps to minimise prop fouling.

Edited by David Schweizer

Slightly :smiley_offtopic: As someone who is old enough to remember the few horse boats that were still arou nd in the 1960's, I remember them doing something akin to that. I have no recollection of them "slowing" when passing other boats, but they certainly did it through bridge holes. When the horse reached a bridge hole they slowed, effectively allowing the boat to float through under it's own momentum, only taking up the strain when the boat was through. I was told that the boat would not progress any faster than the amount of water in the bridge hole would permit, so pulling a boat through a restriction placed an unecccessary stress on the horse.

The principle also applies to deep draughted boats on shallow canals, as taking the engine out of gear raises the bttom of the boat and limits the draw of water from under the boat. It works most of the time and on some canals where the btidge hol;es seem to collect leaves, also helps to minimise prop fouling.

Yep we always go through bridge holes in neutral

Yep we always go through bridge holes in neutral

If you time it right, especially at narrow holes, your wake can catch you up and propel you through the bridge, popping you out on the other side at a speed far greater than you could have achieved under power.

I would not take any notice. There are some people who don't have anything better to do than moan. I have been going at tick over and been shouted at. I find my middle finger is normally the right reply.

Some people just like the sound of their own voices, it seems. As I was exiting Common Moor lock on the southern GU, I was screamed at by a woman moored on the lock mooring to "slow down". She was preparing food in her kitchen, my boat had barely exited the lock gates. I was so amazed that I couldn't think of an appropriate reply. I just smiled at her, which seemed to upset her more, unfortunately.

I would like to publicly thank the chap on the Harborough Marine boat, in the Brinklow cutting today, who slowed to tickover in good time as he approached me and waited until he was a good distance past before speeding up to a normal cruising speed.

I remarked to the OH that I thought it especially considerate of him as we were walking the dogs on the towpath at the time.

Bylaw 13

Doesnt say we have to slow down past moored boats, YOU may interpret it that way but it doesnt say you have to

13. Every vessel navigating on any canal shall at all times be navigated with care and reasonable consideration for all persons using the canal or being on the banks thereof and in particular in such a manner as will not obstruct the passage of any other vessel using the canal or involve risk of collision or endanger the safety of other vessels or their moorings or cause damage thereto or to the banks of the canal or to any part of the Board’s property

I would like to publicly thank the chap on the Harborough Marine boat, in the Brinklow cutting today, who slowed to tickover in good time as he approached me and waited until he was a good distance past before speeding up to a normal cruising speed.

I remarked to the OH that I thought it especially considerate of him as we were walking the dogs on the towpath at the time.

:lol::lol::lol:

Bylaw 13

Thanks, Dave. :cheers: I had skimmed that,

Doesnt say we have to slow down past moored boats, YOU may interpret it that way but it doesnt say you have to

13. Every vessel navigating on any canal shall at all times be navigated with care and reasonable consideration for all persons using the canal or being on the banks thereof and in particular in such a manner as will not obstruct the passage of any other vessel using the canal or involve risk of collision or endanger the safety of other vessels or their moorings or cause damage thereto or to the banks of the canal or to any part of the Board’s property

but I agree with Idleness's interpretation. Any speed which isn't damaging banks, "Board's property", etc, isn't going to damage moorings or endanger the safety of other vessels. I suppose "care and reasonable consideration" could imply anticipating incompetent mooring, raised blood pressure caused by slight motion, etc, though! :rolleyes:

That said, I do slow down for moored boats!! :blush::blush::blush:

Iain

Thanks, Dave. :cheers: I had skimmed that,

but I agree with Idleness's interpretation. Any speed which isn't damaging banks, "Board's property", etc, isn't going to damage moorings or endanger the safety of other vessels. I suppose "care and reasonable consideration" could imply anticipating incompetent mooring, raised blood pressure caused by slight motion, etc, though! :rolleyes:

That said, I do slow down for moored boats!! :blush::blush::blush:

Iain

Speed which won't damage banks can certainly cause more than 'slight motion'. As has been said ad nauseam, much depends on sections of boats and canals.

Where has this determination come from that there should be no need to show consideration for moored boats? Is it a product of a generation which is always in a hurry, or a result of frustration with mile after mile of linear moorings? Working boats (around here, anyway) would certainly ease off for moored boats, and they had good reason to make good time.

Tim

But there is a distinct difference in slowing for moored boats and passing moored boats in tickover.

We have been thanked for slowing to tickover by a moored boater when the narrow boater following us was shouted at for going too fast. The difference the engine tone. Our speed and wash in tickover was much the same as he was making not in tickover but because there was no change in their engine tone they were perceived to be going too quickly.

But there is a distinct difference in slowing for moored boats and passing moored boats in tickover.

I entirely agree, 'tickover' varies hugely between boats and engines, as does what could be considered a reasonable amount of 'slowing'. Tickover for some boats in some situations can be too fast! How much to ease off is a matter of judgement for the steerer. Some might say that good judgement is in short supply these days, but probably always has been.

Tim

Once again, as a newbie to this forum and a fairly newbie to boating, I've found this thread very interesting, so thanks all.

I suppose my introduction to the etiquette of navigation was to throw myself in at the deep end because my first cruise was a journey from Braunston to the Trent, single handed on the N.Oxford, Coventry and T&M. Being pretty keen not to be the new boy upsetting the locals, I slowed to a snail's pace passing anything that could be even generously described as a moored craft.

I was feeling pretty good and quite pleased that I survived several days of not cilling my lovely new (old actually) boat, ramming bridge abutments or throwing too many expensive things into the cut when late one afternoon I happened upon a particularly twisty section of canal with boats moored stem to stern on both sides. With a brisk crosswind, I reckoned that being able to steer the twisty course would be a good option so I only slowed to just above a tick over. Now you can only take my word for it that my steering was fantastic because there was no one watching, though I did have one enquiry shouted from a side hatch as to which building was on fire.

But that's the only time I've ever been criticised and balancing it against the dozen or so times I've actually been thanked for slowing to pass, I'm left thinking that I'm probably being just about considerate enough.

The thing is; while we all cruise the canals and have to pass moored craft, we also moor up ourselves and are likely to spend just as much time being passed as doing the passing and we can understand both perspectives. The exception to this being first time hirers who just haven't been told and don't understand what slow means.

ISTM that when moored you can reasonably expect some movement to be caused by passing boats. Boaters who object to this are surely indulging in the wrong pastime. Usually - almost without exception - I've found other boaters do slow to a reasonable pace. As a general rule of thumb, that's slow to a tick over, but as with everything, circumstances will dictate what's reasonable. If moorers (including me) think their choice of mooring guarantees them a mill pond for the duration, surely that's unreasonable?

Rule No 9 is interesting, especially if you have ever moored on a marina.

Our marina berth gave us a splendid view of the entrance and on a daily basis, we would witness gross incompetence from a variety of moorers attempting to either enter or exit the marina. We once had two Black Death hire boats arrive after the office had closed, who were desperately in need of pump outs by the look of their boat's trim.

The first one made the entrance ok but the second - that was being driven by a young woman with a wine glass in her hand- wasn't so lucky! She came in like a pin ball ricocheting off the entrance wall. Then, after the third attempt at mooring the boat on the service jetty, bow first, her friends decided that they would help by tying her bow line to the hefty jetty fairlead. Half way through this process and after receiving a top-up in her glass, she decided to reverse the boat at full revs nearly amputating her friend's fingers with the rope. Then, in trying to rectify her mistake she went full ahead into the jetty.

The marina owners caught all of this on their web cam and issued a claim against Black Prince for the repair to the jetty.

Come in No 9 your time is up!

Edited by Doorman

Some people just like the sound of their own voices, it seems.

I totally agree.

I was overtaking a lady driver earlier today and as I did so, she wound her window down and yelled pig!

I just yelled some other expletive back but on looking back to the road, I realised that I'd just ran over a pig. :wacko:

Have you been ranting all day? What's this little ditty got to do with passing moored boats?

:P Who just woke you up Pinky?