Ettequite for passing moored boats.

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

Bump...

We are still talking about what you do when you see a moored boat aren't we?

Dave

Of course........ If someone shouts "slow down" ask them to spell it out.

So it was a lovely day here in Skipton and I was talking to my mate moored on the towpath from the side hatch of my boat.During the conversation a Hire boat passed between us nice and slow.I decided to thank the steerer for his smooth approach."Thankyou for slowing sir!"His reply?I AM GOING FECKIN SLOW YOU DICK".Some days it just doesn't make sense to wake up in the morning.

So it was a lovely day here in Skipton and I was talking to my mate moored on the towpath from the side hatch of my boat.During the conversation a Hire boat passed between us nice and slow.I decided to thank the steerer for his smooth approach."Thankyou for slowing sir!"His reply?I AM GOING FECKIN SLOW YOU DICK".Some days it just doesn't make sense to wake up in the morning.

There's a certain sense of poetry with some boaters isn't there?

dry.gif

poor sod probably already had an earful. Perhaps he thought you were being sarcastic.

Next time I'm passing through I'll say hello. I'm always on tick over past boats.

Which is ok but after miles of them it does get you down :(

( not that Skipton is one of those places btw:) )

Edited by wannabe

• 2 months later...

simple answer is you slowed down if you look at the code of conduct tickover isnt mentioned just slowing down (as all boats have different tickovers) so first thing to check is where his ropes tight and at angles as to stop surge, as if they are you be hard pushed to move a boat of any size. If they arnt tell him to sort it out and stop blaming folk for his stupiity if that dont work or hes ropes are tied right and you dont see the boat move do as dad did back up and pass they again at crusing speed (obv not if a line of boats)

Where did it come from this 'slow past boats' nonsense? Originally. Who thought it up?

There is nowhere in the whole wide world people regulate the speed of boat traffic according to the needs of moored boats. The channel, the banks, they all regulate speed but moored boats?

If you want to moor at the side of a navigation channel then tie up in such a way that's not disturbed by normal navigation.

Now there's boats all over the place people can't be expected to spend hours on tickovef.

Tie it up properly.

So whose idea was it?

• Greenie 3

Where did it come from this 'slow past boats' nonsense? Originally. Who thought it up?

There is nowhere in the whole wide world people regulate the speed of boat traffic according to the needs of moored boats. The channel, the banks, they all regulate speed but moored boats?

If you want to moor at the side of a navigation channel then tie up in such a way that's not disturbed by normal navigation.

Now there's boats all over the place people can't be expected to spend hours on tickovef.

Tie it up properly.

So whose idea was it?

It's been accepted practice for a looong time, since long before the present pleasure boat era on the canals.

Of course the degree that slowing down is needed varies widely with circumstances of canal and boats, as has been discussed on here many times.

Tim

(who was once told off by Charlie Atkins for 'leaving it a bit late' before easing off past his boat)

Do you think that was from a point of view that boats tied up ( with people home) in the run of the canal as opposed to wharves and junctions during the day was rare?

Most of the films of working boats I've seen they go a fair pace faster than modern boats anyway.

But they always dropped the engine revs as they approached and passed moored craft, not to tickover, but definitely slower (well at least they did on the lower GU).

However, we are not really comparing like with like, back in the 1960's the canals were dredged to a much greater depth than they tend to be these days, so a faster moving boat caused less disturbance and pull on moored craft.

Edited by David Schweizer

Of course the degree that slowing down is needed varies widely with circumstances of canal and boats,

Me thinks it's more to do with the temperament of the moorer.

I remember once, in the days when I hired, drifting along the Bridgewater out of gear waiting for the boatyard to make space for our return when the side hatch of a moored boat was flung open and Mr Angry appeared hurling abuse about speeding hire boaters - the hatch closed equally speedily when I pointed out we were not actually moving.

Personally, I go past boats at tickover and have a GPS to inform those who do shout of the 1.9 - 2.1 knots that we are usually doing.

When moored up on rings or hooks I don't usually get concerned with speeding boats coming past, but I have to admit to shaming myself as I vented my spleen on one passing Hire Boater after he came past so fast that the surge ripped an eight foot length of the wooden jetty off its framing.

Me thinks it's more to do with the temperament of the moorer.

I remember once, in the days when I hired, drifting along the Bridgewater out of gear waiting for the boatyard to make space for our return when the side hatch of a moored boat was flung open and Mr Angry appeared hurling abuse about speeding hire boaters - the hatch closed equally speedily when I pointed out we were not actually moving.

Personally, I go past boats at tickover and have a GPS to inform those who do shout of the 1.9 - 2.1 knots that we are usually doing.

When moored up on rings or hooks I don't usually get concerned with speeding boats coming past, but I have to admit to shaming myself as I vented my spleen on one passing Hire Boater after he came past so fast that the surge ripped an eight foot length of the wooden jetty off its framing.

Reactions from moored boaters, yes, but the proper considerate thing to do is independent of their reactions.

Tim

I went past a complete -- well this is a family forum - lets say idiot, near the water point just past Stowe Hill last year. All of a sudden a bloke appeared from his boat shouting 'WEAVES, WEAVES'. I (probably correctly) interpreted this to mean 'WAVES, WAVES'. I looked round expecting to see a Tsunami bearing down on me, but no, he was expecting me to go past him without making a ripple on the water!

I was on tickover and was actually leaving a mark in the water. I must get some practise this year at Ninja boating. Maybe paint it greyish and go into stealth mode.

Or maybe just ignore people like that. Yes, I'll try the ignore route.

We moor on a particularly shallow stretch of the Coventry canal sometimes the bank side of the boat is aground. We also strap the boat down really firmly with 2 springs fore and aft.

Some boater' slow down and that's nice because we have time to exchange pleasantries. Others don't but it doesn't bother me unless they are really taking the P*** with a breaking wash etc. But even so it's no big deal. So if you nail you boat down properly then what speed (within reason) people pass at doesn't really matter.

On the other hand when I'm passing others I slow just because it makes for better relations and you get to exchange pleasantries. But there is always some miserable git who will come out and give the verbal abuse. I think some people just resent others going past and it's often people who obviously haven't moved their boat in quite a while.

Top Cat

There's one guy on my stamping ground who has perfected the art of moaning about speed without actuall speaking at all........

He chucks an empty saucepan on the floor just as the steerer is passing his open hatch!

Theory is, the offending steerer then thinks he has overturned someones dinner - cool or what?!

There's one guy on my stamping ground who has perfected the art of moaning about speed without actuall speaking at all........

He chucks an empty saucepan on the floor just as the steerer is passing his open hatch!

Theory is, the offending steerer then thinks he has overturned someones dinner - cool or what?!

No. A bit sad really,

I would not take any notice. There are some people who don't have anything better to do than moan. I have been going at tick over and been shouted at. I find my middle finger is normally the right reply.

I believe it was CarlT who stated that under similar circumstances, he raises one finger to indicate 1,000 revs and two fingers for 2,000 revs. Just for clarification purposes I may add. :P