Ettequite for passing moored boats.

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

There are two really worrying examples of what running your engine in gear does at Portland Basin at Ashton, where to CM'ers stayed for several months, and ran in gear each evening so they had power to watch their tellys. The wash wall has totally collapsed into the cut, at each mooring point, and a large 2yrs sorry 2yds hole has appeared. Given this is right next to the river Tame high up on an embankment with a history of failure, it is not a good thing, and will be really hard to repair. In fact I'm not sure how they will repair it.

Yep have noticed this at a couple of places near Gargrave and I do believe it is caused by prop wash.

The only other defense that a steerer of the passing working boat has is to actually keep dropping it in and out of gear as they attempt to pass boats where there is a risk they will get shouted at if they stay in gear, (even if firmly at tick-over). This can be fairly tedious if your box has a heavy mechanical gear change on it, which is fairly normal on such boats, and doing so on a very regular basis is undoubtedly is less good for the gearbox than just pressing ahead in tick-over.

If I remember correctly SPEY is Bolinder-powered, so lacking a gearbox, this option is not available to the OP....

Is that right?

Mike

If I remember correctly SPEY is Bolinder-powered, so lacking a gearbox, this option is not available to the OP....

Is that right?

Mike

I know little of Bolinders, but thought that even though reversing is a bit of a black art, you still have some kind of clutch that gives you "neutral" ?

Certainly I believe I have regularly seen Bolinder powered boats where the engine is running, but the prop doesn't seem to be turning.

I think that includes Spey, but I'm happy to be educated if I'm wrong about that.

How difficult it may be to achieve it might, of course, be another question altogether......

I know little of Bolinders, but thought that even though reversing is a bit of a black art, you still have some kind of clutch that gives you "neutral" ?

Certainly I believe I have regularly seen Bolinder powered boats where the engine is running, but the prop doesn't seem to be turning.

I think that includes Spey, but I'm happy to be educated if I'm wrong about that.

How difficult it may be to achieve it might, of course, be another question altogether......

Yes they have a clutch. Some do have gearboxes as well, but they are the exception.

Tim

Is that right?

Mike

Yes and No Mike, she doesn't have a gear box, (a few do), she directly reverses (well maybe on a Tuesday, if its a full moon and some other conditions not yet fully understood have happened) which is why one should be very watchful of Bolinder boats coming towards you, they may not STOP. She does however have a clutch, so we do the trick already mentioned previously of dropping her in and out of gear if she appears to be pulling excessive amounts of water, from under moored boats, for example, but that's normally on long lines of them, such as you get on the Shropie. It was also done on this occasion, as soon as the boat rocked in the wrong direction ie towards the bank, as something was obviously well wrong, but it was too late to stop that happening. I would guess it was some underwater item which just tipped the boat over, as what water there was there, rushed away. Moored boats just normally surge around, as the hole caused by the prop and shallow water passes. The amount of surging is fully dependant on the depth of water under their hull and how little there is under ours, how much power you have on, and if you are towing anything.

There are two really worrying examples of what running your engine in gear does at Portland Basin at Ashton, where to CM'ers stayed for several months, and ran in gear each evening so they had power to watch their tellys. The wash wall has totally collapsed into the cut, at each mooring point, and a large 2yrs sorry 2yds hole has appeared. Given this is right next to the river Tame high up on an embankment with a history of failure, it is not a good thing, and will be really hard to repair. In fact I'm not sure how they will repair it.

As a newbie may I ask why you need to run the engine in gear - why not neutral?

I was told that the ettequite for passing moored boats, was to place ones free hand on the throttle, put ones nose in the air, keep going at normal cruising speed and ignore any shouts from moored boaters :D

I pass boats as if they are tied to toothpicks with sewing cotton and tie up as if the British Water skiing Team were due to go past.

Seems to work well and also means that I can be sure that anyone who chooses to shout at me is a knob.

This is good.

I was told that the ettequite for passing moored boats, was to place ones free hand on the throttle, put ones nose in the air, keep going at normal cruising speed and ignore any shouts from moored boaters :D

This is good and the way most weekenders do it.

This is good.

This is good and the way most weekenders do it.

Do unto them as you would do unto yourself,or summat like that.

or get some vinyl stickers and add '<Insert name of your choice> Hire Co.' along with a tel. number on the cabin sides (make it it one of those premium rate ones) that will almost guarantee you get shouted at and when they ring the 'hire co' to moan they'll get stung in the process.... :cheers:

Edited by The Dog House

or get some vinyl stickers and add '<Insert name of your choice> Hire Co.' along with a tel. number on the cabin sides (make it it one of those premium rate ones) that will almost guarantee you get shouted at and when they ring the 'hire co' to moan they'll get stung in the process.... :cheers:

Hmmmmm very clever.Yer a bit of a lad you aren't yer. :P