Ettequite for passing moored boats.

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

I wouldn't expect to be subject to no consideration from a boater. Only that a boat isn't forced to slow to a speed that reduces control of the boat. I'm sure slowing is dependent on each particular boat's handling and conditions. I wouldn't want to throw moorers all over the place for the hell of it.

The place will be full of hire boaters battling with tidal waters most of whom have little or no knowledge of boat handling. We moor in a fashion which expects that passing boats won't slow down, if they do its a bonus if they don't we are prepared for it.

We use the same theory whenever we moor up wherever we are. That way you don't get disappointed.

Sorry to let you down!

We were being courteous and waiting for a narrow boat!

In not sure we were going much quicker when we came across mesmelly working later that day. Think we were too busy deciding if we were brave enough to take the hoods off and venture onto the canal in the persisting rain!

We shall try harder this year to live up to our reputation!

We are heading to the broads this year in the height of silly season so we don't expect there to be many boats passing us slowly!

Not that we will complain. That is what we expect.

The BA have put new navigation posts in for you on Breydon Water. Nice big yellow one for the turn into the Bure.

Actually it would be 19 hrs 10 minutes 12 seconds

Still not bad going for your average weekend and holiday boater. Especially considering that would be every single week of the year.

They have patrol boats now on the broads to control speeding - maybe that is the answer............................................

They had them last time we went. Spent all week dodging them!

They have patrol boats now on the broads to control speeding - maybe that is the answer............................................

They had patrol boats on the broads when I used to go in the 60/70's as a kid - then they were actually river police boats, at some point they were handed over to the BA.

1346710208-police-investigate-after-womans-body-is-found-in-river-bure_1423500.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Exactly. It was a lie then and it's a lie now.

You don't actually know that Chris, I worked it out and it is quite achievable if you spent four complete weeks on holiday on the boat, plus most weekends Friday to Sunday. Long days but still achievable.

I would be interested to learn what Alan Fincher's tally for last year was. My guess is will not be far off a thousand hours.

Edited by David Schweizer

I would be interested to learn what Alan Fincher's tally for last year was. My guess is will not be far off a thousand hours.

Not sure why I'm getting drawn in to this, other than you mentioned my name. :rolleyes:

I really don't know a number, because I don't keep any record of hours, but no way would we come vaguely close. (I can't reliably use engine hours, because Sickle doesn't record them, and the hour-meter on Chalice has spent longer broken than working! :angry: ).

My rough guess, (both boats considered) is that our last year's boating time would only be unlikely to be much over 500 hours, so I think we would only get to 1000 hours after two typical years.

I'd dearly love to be in a position where I could do 1,000 hours of actual boating in a calendar year, but it is currently a pipe-dream.

You don't actually know that Chris, I worked it out and it is quite achievable if you spent four complete weeks on holiday on the boat, plus most weekends Friday to Sunday. Long days but still achievable.

No David, it's true, I don't know it for a fact and if it was anyone else I would simply call it 'suspicious'.

But as it's Dave Mayall and somehow we seem to have slipped over the years into a pattern of mutual rudeness and I have no qualms about accusing him.

I did not believe at the time that Dave Mayall does 1000 hours of boating a year, especially when he does go boating we have root and branch on every perceived idiot or volunteer he meets. I believe that he may spend 1000 hours on his boat. But that, I am sure you will agree, is extremely disingenuous from one who is so vociferous about what he calls 'continuous moorers'.

1000 hours, surely that makes Dave Mayall the King of Continuous Moorers.

Same here. We use the boat for five weeks holiday and every weekend and still only rack up in the region of 300 hours each year.

As this looks determined to stay off topic, I am curious that people seem to be arguing about something where I am not sure anyone is actually clear on the definition. "Boating", it has been observed, is not "propping up one's mooring". So we know what it's not, but not what it is. If I toddled to the pub for the weekend, got sloshed, slept it off and toddled back, I would consider that time spent "boating"*, but from the response on here it sounds like I'd be wrong. Only the journey to and from would count. What about time spent tying up? Pausing in a gauge lock for a gentleman's excuse me? Some people seem to interpret it as engine hours, but isn't that "cruising"? I'd have thought "boating" meant being engaged in activity around your boat in some way, not necessarily restricted to forward motion.

*not that I ever do this.

As this looks determined to stay off topic, I am curious that people seem to be arguing about something where I am not sure anyone is actually clear on the definition. "Boating", it has been observed, is not "propping up one's mooring". So we know what it's not, but not what it is. If I toddled to the pub for the weekend, got sloshed, slept it off and toddled back, I would consider that time spent "boating"*, but from the response on here it sounds like I'd be wrong. Only the journey to and from would count. What about time spent tying up? Pausing in a gauge lock for a gentleman's excuse me? Some people seem to interpret it as engine hours, but isn't that "cruising"? I'd have thought "boating" meant being engaged in activity around your boat in some way, not necessarily restricted to forward motion.

It's an interesting point.

We spent a very pleasant 11 days on our boat in the autumn - never moved from our very nice LTM but did some 'catch' up jobs, and yes we ran the engine (no shoreline) so we put some engine hours on - would it count as boating??, or would it have needed to move to the VM just adjacent for it to count as so. (not that we could have remained there for 11 days of course as it's 48 hours).

Water moves....boars sat in water move.....You were obviously going as slow as possible, the blokes a prick :cheers:

Tim

Exactly, given that N.B's have displacement hulls that is what happens, if water is shallow the effect is greater as the water displaced has to go somewhere.

Phil

Our 300 hours quoted is total time moving the boat as logged by the hour counter.

Hours just spent on it have not been taken account of. If we added those the total would be huge as we spend three days a week every week on the boat. That would be about 3750 hours!

The original discussion was one of experience of the system and boaters' issues, so I would take your 300 hours as a medium.

Obviously if all hours on a boat was 'boating' - as Wavy is no doubt claiming - then the most experienced boaters are liveaboards, and home-at-home liveaboards at that, who would not have to move at all to clock up hours.

To put it another way, how would you feel about flying with a pilot who had racked up 1000 flying hours sat on the ground waiting for the fog to lift?

I know it it isn't really very important at all, and call it sad to an extreem, but I could give details for any time period, of how many hours our boat spent cruising, how many hours the engine was running but not cruising, how many locks and swing/lift bridges we went through, how many miles we covered for each day, the daily averages for lock miles per hour, and the location of each overnight stop.

Why do I keep these records, sometimes I ask myself that question, but there is a reason, it helps me to judge when we need to top up our comparatively small diesel tank, and helps me to assess how long it will take us to do a particular journey. Overnight mooring locations are useful as I can never remember where we stopped the last time we were on any particular canal, and as our boat is deep draughted, many "officail" mooring places are too shallow to get anywhere near the bank..

It takes all types.

I know it it isn't really very important at all, and call it sad to an extreem, but I could give details for any time period, of how many hours our boat spent cruising, how many hours the engine was running but not cruising, how many locks and swing/lift bridges we went through, how many miles we covered for each day, the daily averages for lock miles per hour, and the location of each overnight stop.

Why do I keep these records, sometimes I ask myself that question, but there is a reason, it helps me to judge when we need to top up our comparatively small diesel tank, and helps me to assess how long it will take us to do a particular journey. Overnight mooring locations are useful as I can never remember where we stopped the last time we were on any particular canal, and as our boat is deep draughted, many "officail" mooring places are too shallow to get anywhere near the bank..

It takes all types.

Not sad at all. We also log each journey and refuel. It helps with planning journies and also makes for interesting reading when you look back upon it.