Should I stay or should I go?

rgreg

Featured Posts

Hmm, not exactly a flood of support for IWA membership! My thoughts are that the IWA have undoubtedly been influential in the past and were probably the most respected collective voice by the "Powers that Be", but I'm not clear of their role now the waterways are a charity; or perhaps it makes no difference and their work remains as important as ever.

Hmm, not exactly a flood of support for IWA membership! My thoughts are that the IWA have undoubtedly been influential in the past and were probably the most respected collective voice by the "Powers that Be", but I'm not clear of their role now the waterways are a charity; or perhaps it makes no difference and their work remains as important as ever.

I think you are probably right there.

They didn't do them selves any favours here with taking all the trustee seats on CaRT but I think that was expected as probably 99% of boaters who bothered to vote didn't have any idea who the other candidates where. But as you say I do think they probably have the ear of ministers which is probably something we don't hear much about.

As to whether they are still needed I think its early days, and if they did go and boaters find out in a couple of years things are not what they expected it would be very difficult to reform. CaRT may be the same company under a different name as so often happens on the inland waterways.

With all user groups, they are only as good as their representatives.

Can't argue with that.

The representatives of pretty much all the waterways groups are very unimpressive.

A very good reason not to bother joining them.

Have a greenie!

Edited by carlt

We get the representation we deserve unfortunately

The representatives of pretty much all the waterways groups are very unimpressive.

A very good reason not to bother joining them.

These posts would appear to suggest the canals are doomed to being represented by less than effective people.

If that turned out to be the case canal users would only have themselves to blame.

I would suggest renewing your membership. 'tis early days for CaRT and the relationship with IWA will take some time to develop. IWA members who became trustees did so as the result of a public vote. Candidates who didn't succeed had, in the main lower profiles than those who did. Anyone in any form of public/responsible position tends to become the subject of criticism by others, often without full knowledge of the facts. Whilst I understand the concerns about possible conflicts of interest, it seems to me that until CaRT has matured as a new organisation, hopefully over the next couple of years or so, conjecture on the CaRT/IWA relationship is pointless.

I would suggest renewing your membership. 'tis early days for CaRT and the relationship with IWA will take some time to develop. IWA members who became trustees did so as the result of a public vote. Candidates who didn't succeed had, in the main lower profiles than those who did. Anyone in any form of public/responsible position tends to become the subject of criticism by others, often without full knowledge of the facts. Whilst I understand the concerns about possible conflicts of interest, it seems to me that until CaRT has matured as a new organisation, hopefully over the next couple of years or so, conjecture on the CaRT/IWA relationship is pointless.

I think you are right

What?!

Because IWA are the largest waterway users group they are the default choice for trustees? By public vote, undoubtedly heavily publicized by the iwa....

I know several involved at regional level with the iwa, I wouldn't let em loose with the remote control

Movers and shakers in the iwa have a higher profile because they make it their business to do so.

I would be much happier if the trustees for CRT were selected on merit from several user groups rather than by having a higher profile within the iwa.

It's a shame, I can't get excited by the iwa, I have been a member but choose not to renew when it became clear it was not for me.

I do have huge respect for the work of the waterway recovery group though.

Interestedly we have never thought of joining the IWA - Our experience of members that we have met has been well, err not conclusive to joining !

We were made welcome at Beale Park a couple of yrs ago & offered a mooring for the night prior to the IWA meet - Hmm yes the infamous WASP mooring ! - Needless to say we upped sticks , turned around & found a better spot.

However , something I didnt think we would do would join C&RT either , but after our recent trip out over the summit of the Rochdale we joined at Fradley on the way back as 'Friends' a paltry sum a month (Yes Yes we already pay enough.... blah blah) but after what we had enjoyed over the fortnights trip an extra few quid seemed nothing.

Also we had seen a lot of work from volunteers of the C&RT along the way (Not just gardening!)

Maybe we will cancel the Debit in a few months or maybe not - lets see how things develop!

It seems a shame that when the IWA started the members were radicals challenging government policy, being activists and truly making changes. The current IWA seem very conservative, looking only to maintain the status quo or even revert to the 'old' system of no continuous cruisers. The RBOA have done some good stuff though and can be very supportive to individuals.

I just cannot identify with them, so why would I join. I also think that their attitude to cruisers is a dodgy one. Cruisers tend to be much younger than boaters with moorings (latest CRT survey confirms it). Do they care that they are alienating the retired boaters of the future?

I'm confused. Are you saying that boaters with mooring are older and are not cruisers?