Breasted up through Grand union locks ?

onionbargee

Featured Posts

It's crapper on a narrow canal with that sort of lack of maintenance, coz even one boat can't get in! Or worse still, a boat takes the chance with the gates not fully opening and gets wedged in. The lock just north of the Edstone Aqueduct on the Southern Stratford was a point in case a few years ago.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Joining forces to fight for a better canal system will help but boaters would rather winge and not do anything. More money to Cart will just produce more artworks and bigger bonuses.

Ah well in that case lets just put up the licence cost from the less than 15% of total revenue that boaters pay now.

• Greenie 2

Joining forces to fight for a better canal system will help but boaters would rather winge and not do anything. More money to Cart will just produce more artworks and bigger bonuses.

But only of your don't look too, er gypsyish eh Sue?

Do we have the legal right to be able to navigate Grand Union locks and short pounds breasted up ?

because in some places gates are not opening fully into their recesses due to lack of maintanance. Watford and Norwood locks are two such places i know of.

Is there actually a fault with the gates or their mountings, or is it just rubbish lodged on the gate cills. Our boat is 7ft wide and over the years, we have got stuck in narrow locks on several occasions because rubbish on the cill has prevented the gate from opening fully. In each case a phone call to BW has brought someone out swiftly to clear the cill.

The most recent instance was a few weeks ago near rhe bottom of Aston Locks, where we were held up for about an hour, but the most memorable was a few years ago in Somerton Deep on the S.Oxford where we caused a traffic jam of about fifteen boats in either direction. Eventualy, we dislodged ourselves refilled the lock and after a vain attempt to clear the cill with our keb, I reversed out, and alowed everyone else to sail though without a problem. I still have photo on my desk notice board taken by one of the other boaters, of me standing on the front deck with my keb trying to clear the cill.

Edited by David Schweizer

Is there actually a fault with the gates or their mountings, or is it just rubbish lodged on the gate cills. Our boat is 7ft wide and over the years, we have got stuck in narrow locks on several occasions because rubbish on the cill has prevented the gate from opening fully. In each case a phone call to BW has brought someone out swiftly to clear the cill.

The most recent instance was a few weeks ago near rhe bottom of Aston Locks, where we were held up for about an hour, but the most memorable was a few years ago in Somerton Deep on the S.Oxford where we caused a traffic jam of about fifteen boats in either direction. Eventualy, we dislodged ourselves refilled the lock and after a vain attempt to clear the cill with our keb, I reversed out, and alowed everyone else to sail though without a problem. I still have photo on my desk notice board taken by one of the other boaters, of me standing on the front deck with my keb trying to clear the cill.

the problem is the gate recesses are silted up with mud and gravel, so the gates will only open 13 ft or so. CART have stopped clearing the recesses and the lock chambers, and it took half an hours hard work with a rake to clear them out. The CART man up there told me they were all like that further on so don't bother going any further.

Ah well in that case lets just put up the licence cost from the less than 15% of total revenue that boaters pay now.

With out wanting too cause too much of a fuss is this such a bad idea.

I have just renewed NC's licence this morning for the princely sum of £305 (including prompt payment discount). In the scheme of things and considering what we get for the money it isnt bad value at all.

Now the £170 I have just forked out in car tax for the Datsun is another matter :angry: