Boat Sunk at Grindley brook

Thewatchmaker

Featured Posts

We have been on the Llangollen over the last couple of weeks. It is....Quiet. O.K., hire boats a plenty, but not at the levels we have previously experianced. One hire company at Whitchurch stated they were 30 percent down on bookings.

We have been swiped but once, whilst moored on the 48 hour moorings at Frankton junction, by I should add,a private boater. Two hirers passed us with no problem, then THWACK as Jimmy Edwards would say. Said privateer then questioned why we were moored there! No apology,but probably embarrased so thought the best form of defence was attack! He was moving, we were moored. Nough said.

Okay, the latest... apparently there was some kind of reinforcement bar in the middle lock at Grindley Brook that became exposed and had been catching on baseplates for the last week or so (the lock keeper had been keeping his eye on it). The lock was closed after the sinking and CRT engineers came and have sawn it off! Still complaints about one of the gates/paddles for boats going up though.

N

Okay, the latest... apparently there was some kind of reinforcement bar in the middle lock at Grindley Brook that became exposed and had been catching on baseplates for the last week or so (the lock keeper had been keeping his eye on it). The lock was closed after the sinking and CRT engineers came and have sawn it off! Still complaints about one of the gates/paddles for boats going up though.

N

I thought it sank in the bottom lock?

I thought it sank in the bottom lock?

I'm just passing on what I've been told by a friend out that way at the moment, I don't listen properly half the time so she probably did say bottom lock! The general gist was that it had been a recurring issue though I think.

I notice this guy makes reference to it on his blog: http://nbicebreaker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/wrenbury-llangollen-wednesday-8-august.html He's the poor chap who got a boat full of water on the way up there last week.

N

Edited by snigsnig

N

A friend of mine had problems there last week, but I have not had details from him yet. But I think it was scarry

The middle lock at Grindley Brook has always been a bit tight over the cill. The lock keepers (I'm thinking Mel Edwards now) used to lift a paddle at the top when the middle was filling to top it up a bit.

The middle lock at Grindley Brook has always been a bit tight over the cill. The lock keepers (I'm thinking Mel Edwards now) used to lift a paddle at the top when the middle was filling to top it up a bit.

Them were the days eh... Good 'ole Mel sitting at the top keeping an eye on things while making his fenders. Now retired I think on his boat... still making his fenders moored opp 'the Anchor' pub... :cheers:

My dad's boat got stuck in the middle lock recently too.

My brother who's over that way says someone's told him a boat's sunk at Willey Moor lock... Don't know if that's true or not?

Casp'

Not sure about Willey Moor lock... but on the forum a member put up a pic of an 'Anglo Welsh' boat which had sank in the next one down 'Quoisley lock'... we had only left that lock 2 days previous!!

Them were the days eh... Good 'ole Mel sitting at the top keeping an eye on things while making his fenders. Now retired I think on his boat... still making his fenders moored opp 'the Anchor' pub... :cheers:

Not only moored opposite the Anchor but drinks (and sometimes sings) in the Anchor most nights.

If you are lucky he can provide a fascinating evening of conversation on canal history!

............Dave

It did occur to me the other day that boating is not really a suitable occupation for the stupid.

Boating used to be an exoensive business. Not many very stupid people make lots of money (some, but not many, proportionately). Now at entry level, as others have pointed out - with perhaps the least safe boats - it is open to all, even those without an ounce of intelligence or common sense. It strikes me as nigh on miraculous that the are not more deaths, injuries, sinkings etc.

I guess that makes me stupidist. So be it.

On the contrary, I would say he has more right to than most. Not all volunteers are saints and an experienced volunteer would know this more than anyone.

thanks for that, yes i've seen many stupid things done over the years, especially when i worked at Clubline where cilled boats were a regular occurance, funnily enough it was rarely the 70' 12 berth boats but 60' 8 berths that seemed to get the bent rudders and on at least one outing a bent skeg (we had to bend it back with a hydraulic jack on site!) oh what joy!!

last time i was there the boat coming down decided to empty the top lock into the middle, only problem was all 3 locks were full!! the lockkeeper went down one side whilst I did the other, trying our best to keep our feet dry (mid winter and very, very cold that day!) no shortage of water that day!