SET THEM BOATS ADRIFT

gaggle

Featured Posts

Mr Peter Ponting has stated elsewhere that boaters he speaks to are of the opinion that boats with no valid licence on display should be set adrift , he states he is now in Lancashire sailing his narrowboat PEEWEE so i imagine the other boaters he claims share his opinions about setting boats adrift are also in Lancashire and on the Leeds & Liverpool canal , i have not come across any people who hold such opinions as this on the Leeds & Liverpool or indeed any of the other canals or rivers i have cruised on , i have met people who would gladly give a good hiding to people who think its ok to set boats adrift , is this fella for real ? do lots of boaters feel such vile feeling of hatred against boats not showing an up to date licence that they would set them adrift.

I will be keeping a look out on our moorings as it seems he is heading this way ,suggest others watch out boats near them dont get set adrift.

Mr Peter Ponting has stated elsewhere that boaters he speaks to are of the opinion that boats with no valid licence on display should be set adrift , he states he is now in Lancashire sailing his narrowboat PEEWEE so i imagine the other boaters he claims share his opinions about setting boats adrift are also in Lancashire and on the Leeds & Liverpool canal , i have not come across any people who hold such opinions as this on the Leeds & Liverpool or indeed any of the other canals or rivers i have cruised on , i have met people who would gladly give a good hiding to people who think its ok to set boats adrift , is this fella for real ? do lots of boaters feel such vile feeling of hatred against boats not showing an up to date licence that they would set them adrift.

I will be keeping a look out on our moorings as it seems he is heading this way ,suggest others watch out boats near them dont get set adrift.

Boats with a valid licence for a variety of reasons might not actually display them so this seems a tad drastic to say the least...

BTW who is Peter Ponting?

I do not think it right to set the boats adrift, but I do hate piss takers that free load off the rest of us by not paying for a boat license though. It was the same when I was an Inspector on the buses. Drivers that fiddled the fare and kept stuff for themselves and passengerts that tried to avoid paying their fares were equally contemptable, preventing the company making revenue and eventually bankrupting it.

Yeah let's set these boats adrift so they are obstructing the canal for other boaters who may or may not be legitimately displaying a licence.

Never heard of him but he sounds like an arsehole who wants to inconvenience all boaters cruising along behind him just so he can play his small minded power games.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 3

Well he appears to put articles onto NBW:

That'll be why I've never heard of him.

Maybe if his untying ruse doesn't work he'll be suggesting sinking the boats across the canal to really inconvenience everyone else.

Edited to add: cross-posted with Mr A.

Edited by carlt

I do not think it right to set the boats adrift, but I do hate piss takers that free load off the rest of us by not paying for a boat license though. It was the same when I was an Inspector on the buses. Drivers that fiddled the fare and kept stuff for themselves and passengerts that tried to avoid paying their fares were equally contemptable, preventing the company making revenue and eventually bankrupting it.

Not displaying a valid licence is not the same as not paying for a licence though is it?

Isn't he the guy with the hots for Penelope Pitstop in Wacky Races?

Richard

Nah, that was Peter Perfect who drove a Porsche Ponting

Pending or Perfect I think I've got my whacky racers confused....

The inventor guy was Pat Pending i think

Not displaying a valid licence is not the same as not paying for a licence though is it?

No

Nah, that was Peter Perfect who drove a Porsche Ponting

I thought you were younger.... ;)

It was the same when I was an Inspector on the buses. Drivers that fiddled the fare and kept stuff for themselves and passengerts that tried to avoid paying their fares were equally contemptable, preventing the company making revenue and eventually bankrupting it.

Yes, and that Butler was a right sod, I hated him.

Edited by grahame r

Guest leeparkinson

Makes me laugh there is a boat on the Leeds and Liverpool canal that when they first started out my dad was the lengths man they never paid there licence and now they go round reporting everyone else

• Greenie 1

The only reason people keep unlicensed boats on the inland waterway network is because they can......if there was a rigid enforcement policy and positive action taken against persistent non-licence holders, then the towpath grapevine would soon send the message that you need to sort it out, or lose the boat. Of course, accepting that licence not displayed doesn't necessarily mean no licence; that there may be exceptional circumstances; and so long as there's adequate checks & balances. The real problem is probably that with the volume of non-licensed boats, there would be a net positive cost in properly dealing with the problem. However its still unfair on those who do pay up regularly.

• Greenie 1

My boat isnt displaying a valid license as its sitting in my hallway with this god awful weather i havent had chance to get it on the boat...

Hope it hasnt been cast adrift !!!

Your boats in the hallway??

Oh, sorry .....

Guest leeparkinson

I want to know how they can take a boat with no licence surely the only way they can take your boat from you is if the dept reaches the value of the boat .If a bailiff comes to your house they only take enough to cover the bill so to me them takin your boat is theft

Edited by leeparkinson

I want to know how they can take a boat with no licence surely the only way they can take your boat from you is if the dept reaches the value of the boat .If a bailiff comes to your house they only take enough to cover the bill so to me them takin your boat is theft

Its called "Section 8" Done via the court.

Guest leeparkinson

Its called "Section 8" Done via the court.

I know about the section 8 but they don't follow the full rules to how they obtain a section 8

Edited by leeparkinson

The real problem is probably that with the volume of non-licensed boats, there would be a net positive cost in properly dealing with the problem.

Does anyone actually have any estimates or figures on the number of non-licenced boats, and the proportion compared to licenced boats? I'd be interested to know what the "volume" of the problem actually is.

It sounds like Peter Ponting (or whatever his name is), hasn't thought things through. Boats set adrift could then potentially come downstream and smash into weirs, and other infrastructure, or even into my boat!