Boat sinking

Travis

Featured Posts

Guest leeparkinson

It got the stern stuck on the cill how bad is this the new CRT engineers took one look at the boat and said let the insurance sort it so my uncle just told me that a group of boaters have pumped it up

It got the stern stuck on the cill how bad is this the new CRT engineers took one look at the boat and said let the insurance sort it so my uncle just told me that a group of boaters have pumped it up

This is NOT good news. there have been a number of incidents where the response from CaRT has differed from what one would have expected from BW.

Just my impression over the past two/three weeks.

Good news that once again local boaters saved the day.

Hope no major damage or contamination.

Martyn

Lets hope that those engineers will soon be ex CRT engineers. :angry:

Stewey

Edited by stewey

Don't forget, CaRT had NO TOOLS. They were all sold off before the staff were passed to CaRT.

For example, we came across a crew yesterday cursing the new cheapo windlasses they had been given. They were all off to buy their own at the weekend

Richard

Oh my...it isn't just a simple cilling...the boat is actually photographed lying on its side in the lock!

How on earth did this happen?

7699632442_2fe8925fb4.jpg

Photo courtesy of Tony Margaret Merridale...taken from FB and I hope they don't have any problems about me reposting it...will remove if requested, but I couldn't get any other link to work...

Janet

Don't forget, CaRT had NO TOOLS. They were all sold off before the staff were passed to CaRT.

For example, we came across a crew yesterday cursing the new cheapo windlasses they had been given. They were all off to buy their own at the weekend

Richard

I've already sold one to a lock keeper :-) when will cart realise the notices about keeping forward of the cill are on the wrong end of the locks? It will probably take a serious accident first.

Edited by sueb

If that is the boat concerned how on earth did "a group of boaters" get it up?....not criticising just wondering how they did it without a crane or similar??

Really feel for they chap concerned....I guess it got caught on the skeg then tippled....as someone with a dropped skeg on his boat this it a bit of a worry!!

Are there any pics of the rescue operation?

Cheers

Gareth

Oh my...it isn't just a simple cilling...the boat is actually photographed lying on its side in the lock!

How on earth did this happen?

7699632442_2fe8925fb4.jpg

Photo courtesy of Tony Margaret Merridale...taken from FB and I hope they don't have any problems about me reposting it...will remove if requested, but I couldn't get any other link to work...

Janet

I don't see why it should not be "just a simple cilling". A boat with the swim caught on the cill will rpidly lose lateral stability and capsize if there is enough room in the lock.

Nick

Edited by Theo

Richard

Last week (or was it the week before) I watched a CaRT crew trying to rehang the top gate on lock 90 on the Rochdale with the aid of a small hydraulic car jack and several lumps of timber. They didn't succeed!

If that is the boat concerned how on earth did "a group of boaters" get it up?....not criticising just wondering how they did it without a crane or similar??

Tirfors would get it upright enough to refloat by slowly filling the lock.

I have righted a boat on its side without the benefit of all that lovely lock furniture to hang strops off.

May I ask a serious question. I havent yet seen/heard of a widebeam having similar accidents in a lock....probably because there arent that many widebeams compared to narrowboats....or could it be that they are much heavier...and might be more difficult to hang up on a something...does anyone know of a widebeam suffering a similar fate....? It's easy to stay off the cill in most cases, but in a widebeam it's probably impossible to see if the bow is caught....

May I ask a serious question. I havent yet seen/heard of a widebeam having similar accidents in a lock....probably because there arent that many widebeams compared to narrowboats....or could it be that they are much heavier...and might be more difficult to hang up on a something...does anyone know of a widebeam suffering a similar fate....? It's easy to stay off the cill in most cases, but in a widebeam it's probably impossible to see if the bow is caught....

The stern of a widebeam can get caught on a cill the same as any other boat if the person in charge is unaware. You cant see bow of a NB or a WB if you have a full length cabin. I move my widebeam single-handed, but since it's only 57ft long there's no reason for the bow or stern to be anywhere near a gate. I know some people like to go uphill with the boat in gear and the bow against the gate, but as a single-hander I don't do this. Also because 14 years ago I did get the bow of my narrowboat caught on a gate while going uphill. It was only my 3rd day of boating and I was with friends. Fortunately my shouts to drop the paddles were heeded in time.

I know of 2 very experienced boaters, one of which is a long standing forum member, with a ton of boating hours between them who nearly sank a widebeam in a lock! It would seem that although the front fender had been removed,the hooks that had been used to hold the chains had not. I'm not sure how much attention was being paid, we all know how men like to gossip, but the hooks dug into the lock gates and caused the bow of the boat to become stuck. Luckily it was realised as the boat became hung at an angle and paddles were dropped. Only thing dented was pride. Lesson learned.

Guest wanted

The stern of a widebeam can get caught on a cill the same as any other boat if the person in charge is unaware. You cant see bow of a NB or a WB if you have a full length cabin. I move my widebeam single-handed, but since it's only 57ft long there's no reason for the bow or stern to be anywhere near a gate. I know some people like to go uphill with the boat in gear and the bow against the gate, but as a single-hander I don't do this. Also because 14 years ago I did get the bow of my narrowboat caught on a gate while going uphill. It was only my 3rd day of boating and I was with friends. Fortunately my shouts to drop the paddles were heeded in time.

I know it's all down to preference but I also prefer to keep the boat away from either gate if I can help it, easy done down here with wide locks and a fifty footer.

Its very Sad. Didn't realise BW sold off all the tools. And left staff without windlasses???

There are a lot of very unhappy employees in CaRT at the moment. I did hear about some of the restoration staff at Hatton who are now equipping their own personal toolkits rather than having to hire/requisition tools to do everything

Richard