I'm such a dirty, dirty girl...

Featured Posts

... or the EX-terminator

Great to see the progress after a period of (my) inactivity / absence from the forum...

Nick

I think VERMINATOR has a nice ring to it, could have used MB's services the other day as our Hamster escaped and set up camp in the tumble dryer, took ages to pull it apart to get the little "angel" out.

Phil

I think VERMINATOR has a nice ring to it, could have used MB's services the other day as our Hamster escaped and set up camp in the tumble dryer, took ages to pull it apart to get the little "angel" out.

Phil

Yes you needed to set a Mike trap understand (not from personal experience) he's very tasty !!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally we have done it!

Yes on Sunday at around 9pm, five weeks to the day since we started, my new shower room and bedroom are completely finished!

Since taking Reg to Alvecote festival in the middle of the job for a few days, MB and I (but mainly MB) have spent the last two weeks finishing the job that was started by MB and Matty.

The old layout of the front half of my boat used to consist of:

A bow 'bedroom' which comprised of two bench seats opposite each other with planks across the middle, basically turning the whole area into one big shelf upon which my mattress was laid, and which had to be 'climbed onto' rather than 'walked into.'

To the left and right of this going back towards the stern were two floor to ceiling cupboards, with a walkway through the middle to climb onto my 'bedroom.' The left cupboard looking forwards had a tiny and non functional sink in it, and a toilet which you could only sit on if you didn't shut the doors! The right one was empty but used to contain a toilet prior to my purchase and had no other purpose. There was no shower in the boat at all.

The whole refit of the front end consisted of totally ripping out both of the 'cupboards,' as well as the bedroom bench seats and everything within the bedroom, as well as taking up some of the floor. The front half of the boat was basically taken back to bare walls and hull, with the shaped bow water tank also removed.

From that point, a new 'room' was built long the right hand side of the boat as the bathroom, with a walkway going along the left hand side into the bedroom whereas previously there was a centre walkway with two small closets either side.

Said new room then became the bathroom; waterproof wall panels were fitted, the window was made opaque, a vent and LED light fixture was put in, shower tray, whale gulper, wiring etc etc, shower fittings and everything else.

As the room is basically a wet room apart from the door and space is at a premium, a shelf was built for the toilet to sit on within the large shower tray area, with a large wraparound curtain protecting the toilet roll holder and door when the shower is in use. A brand new toilet completed that section!

A new water tank was fitted into the area over which my bed was later built, a new bed constructed from scratch, and also an open fronted cupboard above it to store clothes, a shelf at the end of the bed to store boxes, a slightly raised platform to hold my drawers and fully removable bed surface sections to get to the open storage space alongside the watertank underneath.

Phew!

Once all that was done (and fine tuned, and altered and made totally functional and reworked to give me storage space) we painted the whole bedroom (two coats of undercoat and one of topcoat) light pink, and MB carpeted the bedroom area.

Several trips to the tip later, we finished last night at 9pm and went for a well deserved Indian.

I cannot thank the amazing Mike the “I’m never getting involved in anything like this ever again” Boilerman enough for making all of this possible, providing me with alternative accommodation and even laying my carpet and helping me paint the bedroom.

So, onto pictures!

First are some combined ‘before’ and ‘after’ shots with the ‘before’ on the left. They’re not exact duplicates of the same views as such, but do give you a very good idea of the scale of the job, what was replaced and done, and what it was like before!

The view down the boat towards the bedroom (before and after)

intobedroom.jpg

Showing the two cupboards either side of the bed ‘shelf’ before and the new hallway and shower room ‘after.’

Hallway.jpg

What passed for the sink and toilet ‘before’ and what it was replaced with ‘after.’

washroom.jpg

Toilet and toilet cupboard ‘before’ toilet in shower room ‘after.’

Toilet.jpg

Looking into the bedroom then and now!

bedroom.jpg

Plus some other shots:

The new toilet on its little shelf

IMG_20120910_151051.jpg

The shower

IMG_20120910_151013.jpg

Shower room door open

IMG_20120910_150956.jpg

Shower room door open with shower curtain closed

IMG_20120910_150936.jpg

From inside the bedroom looking back into the boat

IMG_20120910_150917.jpg

Mike the Boilerman made this fancy unit by hand!

IMG_20120910_150855.jpg

My fitted shelves that MB made

IMG_20120910_150848.jpg

New bed, drawers on the platform MB made, boxes and linen basket hidden on ledge MB made, and token cat

IMG_20120910_150837.jpg

Looking into the bedroom. It’s so much lighter!

IMG_20120910_150822.jpg

Carpet!

IMG_20120910_150731.jpg

Edited by Starcoaster

It looks completely amazing!

I bet you are so pleased with it all and well done everyone who has been working on it. Not everyone can make over their entire home in 5 weeks. Despite your concerns you kept your sanity as well which is quite some achievemnt. :cheers:

New loo? what happened to the old one? I know a boat that is without a fully functioning one at present :blush: It was a bit broken even before I tried to fix it honext guv!

The old bog was binned at the start of the job I'm afraid Chesh!

Oh well never mind it was worth asking - I bet it was far more fragrant than the GRIM item that is decribed as on board facilities on Python!

that new one looks dead posh! I somehow know with a lady crew it will stay that way too :)

That's really excellent Star, a big improvement. My shower room is small too to save space with the bog in a similar position, saves a lot of time too showering whilst sitting there and then to find the bog rolls all soggy.

I don't have an Eco-fan though. :closedeyes:

Thanks for letting us see all of this. I do love to see the inside of other peoples' boats (to nick ideas for space saving mostly). Congratulations to all involved - looks like a huge amount of work.

Over the years we have made considerable changes to the inside of Chalice (well, Alan really, with me making tea, and occasionally holding things - I always seem to have a stack of marking or preparation to be doing at the same time). However, we do have a house to go 'home' to - plus, it's taken Alan some years, doing it bit by bit.

Cath

Thanks for letting us see all of this. I do love to see the inside of other peoples' boats (to nick ideas for space saving mostly). Congratulations to all involved - looks like a huge amount of work.

Over the years we have made considerable changes to the inside of Chalice (well, Alan really, with me making tea, and occasionally holding things - I always seem to have a stack of marking or preparation to be doing at the same time). However, we do have a house to go 'home' to - plus, it's taken Alan some years, doing it bit by bit.

Cath

I'm just the same! :)

Congrats Star, it look amazing!