Tablet recommendations

Smelly

Featured Posts

Lil lappy is getting a bit ratty and while I've got the budget I fancy a tablet; if nowt else it'll save my neck...

I've got a budget of £250-300, not that I'd be wanting an Apple product anyway; don;t like walls round my gardens! I'd hope to walk into a shop in Loughorough or Leicester the weekend after next and say "gimme!" Postal is a it of a pain at the mo as I am somewhat itinerant as I speak.

Any suggestions?

ETA... Android/Linux for preference

Edited by Smelly

The Nexus 7 is the new shiny. Very heavily subsidised hardware to try to get past apple's dominance so a good deal. It's a 7" tablet, so like a big phone. Should be about 150-200 quid, but their popularity is increasing the price at the moment.

Edited by oarfish

Take a couple of Valium and lie down in a darkened room for a while, it just might all go away!

Indeed - but after all that then get an iPad.

I'd never buy Apple! It's always a seller's market in Apple world.

Fair enough.

I've long since learned not to be philosophically opposed to a particular manufacturer.

- they only sell them if you buy them BTW...

Right... Apple; I've heard a lot of broken screen stories on Iphone whereas a taxi drive over my HTC and I put it back together and it worked.

It just feels like a milchcow; paying for the badge rather than inherent quality!

I am a PC type, I run Android and Linux; I don't want Apple products!

Right... Apple; I've heard a lot of broken screen stories on Iphone whereas a taxi drive over my HTC and I put it back together and it worked.

It just feels like a milchcow; paying for the badge rather than inherent quality!

I am a PC type, I run Android and Linux; I don't want Apple products!

So am I but ive still got an ipad. It isnt flimsy. The dog has sat on it more times than I care to remember. I had another brand of tablet but it was just awful in comparison. The case cracked within a week.

Motorola Xoom

Icecream

Icream on the new ones I believe

My Xoom regularly comes close to meeting my mooring hammer due to general instability problems, the stock web browser crashes several times a day and the whole device needs rebooting frequently.

Motorola are not particularly good at providing updates, ICS was released to US Xooms in January, nearly every other market is still waiting and there are lots of very unhappy owners see https://forums.motorola.com/hives/1395b5d6b1/summary and https://www.facebook.com/motorolaeurope?filter=2

I don't know if this poor performance is typical of android but I'm hoping that some windows tablets get released soon so that I don't have to sell my soul to Apple.

Whatever new technology you buy will be old technology by the time you open the packaging. I reckon it is better, and much cheaper, to buy stuff which is a year or so behind the cutting edge.

I've never been a lover of Apple products - largely due to Jobs' reluctance to make them do what people want. Limitations should be technical, not due to an ego.

But I wanted a tablet. I looked at them, listened to people's experiences and, very reluctantly, bought an ipad. Now I don't want to sound too enthusiastic, but I quite like it. The image quality is stunning, it is responsive and it works. And it is a 10 inch screen. The 7" ones didn't really look much better than my (Android) phone.

It just frustrates me that I can only do what it wants iTunes to allow. Having said that, there are (free) document apps that let you transfer files, albeit through iTunes. And there is a Kindle app. And I can tether wirelessly to my phone.

The ipad is over rated, largely by people wearing black rollneck sweaters, and drinking unpronouncable coffees. Whilst conspicu... conspacues... showing off their Apple device :rolleyes:

If you want desktop ability, you will need to buy a desktop or laptop :P if you want a portable device with long battery life, to watch videos, photos, and do a bit of general computing, buy an Android tablet. I like my Xoom, but was initially going for the Samsung, but the offer ran out on the day I visited the shop.. :banghead:

Fair enough.

I've long since learned not to be philosophically opposed to a particular manufacturer.

- they only sell them if you buy them BTW...

Exactly, and that's why he's not buying one in the first place. It'll be a sad day when I learn not to have principles.

Having said that, Smelly's objection was as much practical as philosophical. Not to mention financial.

I have an iPad, and it's a lovely thing, but it was a present and I would never have bought one for myself. I run Linux on everything else so it doesn't talk to anything. They are ridiculously expensive, and so are all the peripherals (£25 for a camera connection kit - a couple of little socket adapters)

Edited by Chertsey

The ipad is over rated, largely by people wearing black rollneck sweaters, and drinking unpronouncable coffees. Whilst conspicu... conspacues... showing off their Apple device :rolleyes:

If you want desktop ability, you will need to buy a desktop or laptop :P if you want a portable device with long battery life, to watch videos, photos, and do a bit of general computing, buy an Android tablet. I like my Xoom, but was initially going for the Samsung, but the offer ran out on the day I visited the shop.. :

Yes I agree only unwashed ex hippies who drink mint tea, whilst discussing Linda McCarneys latest products don't lke IPads. I've got an early one and it's great.

Also have a old toshiba laptop and little wireless printer which I keep seperately when working. Look at them all then buy an iPad.

Exactly, and that's why he's not buying one in the first place. It'll be a sad day when I learn not to have principles.

Having said that, Smelly's objection was as much practical as philosophical. Not to mention financial.

I have an iPad, and it's a lovely thing, but it was a present and I would never have bought one for myself. I run Linux on everything else so it doesn't talk to anything. They are ridiculously expensive, and so are all the peripherals (£25 for a camera connection kit - a couple of little socket adapters)

Whilst they are generally more expensive than equivalent products from other manufacturers I'm not sure I would describe them as ridiculously expensive - daughter has just got one for £159 from Three on a contract at £25 pcm.... though that might of course be too expensive for some.

The supporting bits for Apple's products can often be had for a lot less from eBay if you wait for the Chinese bods to catch up and copy them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ipad+camera+connection+kit&_sacat=0

Edited by The Dog House

No one's yet mentioned the HTC Flyer. I've got one of these and it was exactly what I wanted:

- It's not Apple. While having an innate dislike for anything stylish, fashionable and trendy, my main reason for choosing a Flyer is that it's all Android and Google so there are no compatibility problems with the rest of my devices.

- It's small enough to fit into an inside jacket pocket. I cannot see the point of lugging round a large tablet - might as well have a laptop.

- It has a really nifty pen which I use to scribble notes, lists - anything really. Whatever I write is then automatically and instantly available on my smartphone, laptop etc.

- You can buy a small, pocket-sized folding wireless keyboard.