Canal Drifter

DaveC

Featured Posts

Both you and Chris are entitled to express your opinion, but youdid not receive the offensive PM's from this horrible little man, which the moderators would not permit me to post. So by using the PM system instead of the public arena, he circumnavigated my right to reply. Goose and Gander?

I also hope you are not seeking to suggest that I introduced the issue of alcohol. Until it was mentiomned by his friend, Sue Birchett, it had not occured to me. I merely responded to her post by suggestiong that having had a few drinks was not an adequate excuse for offensive posts.

Having revived offensive PM's from the odd member on here I do know what it's like - but yes I take your point about right to reply.

BTW there is nothing in the forum rules and guidelines that prohibit publishing the content of PM's - this was debated on here not that long ago. Whilst the consensus seemed to be 'it just not cricket' and it shouldn't be done it actually doesn't breach the rules.

Daniel did say at the time that he would consider it when the forum rules were next updated but it either slipped his mind or changed it as despite the rules being updated a couple of months ago they still don't prohibit it.

Finally - the reference to the alcohol issue was not aimed at you.

Half a dozen of one, six of the other in my opinion, I seem to remember you and canaldrifter antagonised each other most of the time. He has gone now, so I don't really see why your trying to continue the war :-)

Deleted, because I cannot be bothered to reply.

Edited by David Schweizer

My experience is that, on first meeting, 'Tone' comes across as very nice, avuncular old matelot willing to share his (self proclaimed) vast experience with those who will listen but then when his (self admitted) excessive drinking takes control or when he doesn't get his own way, on certain matters where he would like things to go his way, he can turn quite poisonous in his verbal attacks. It cannot be pure coincidence that he has been ejected from two canal forums surely?

Roger

Roger! :P

You still visit and post though, Mike.

I've been a member of both CWDF and Just Canals for a long time and moderate on the latter. They are very different beasts and each has their own appeal.

In fairness, the Just Canals site on Facebook is much, much busier than the website forum. The material/posts (and to a large extent, the membership) is very different on the JC forum website and the JC Facebook group.

How innovative to mention "active" and "Just Canals" in the same sentence. I used to look at that site, but often I would visit it a day or two later and there would be only a couple of new posts.

I've been a member of both CWDF and Just Canals for a long time and moderate on the latter. They are very different beasts and each has their own appeal.

I think it is all credit to JC's philosophy and moderation policy that Tony is able to post regularly on there, with apparently little or no conflict.

I think it is all credit to JC's philosophy and moderation policy that Tony is able to post regularly on there, with apparently little or no conflict.

Or perhaps it is just that it really is extraordinarily difficult to argue with yourself

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen or heard of Canaldrifter (should that be one or two words?) lately? I sent an email to his last known email address but not heard anything back.

Where are you Tony?

Dave

Tony is alive & well living in the Yorkshire area. He spends more time with his new campervan visiting the waterways

• 2 months later...

Has anyone seen or heard of Canaldrifter (should that be one or two words?) lately? I sent an email to his last known email address but not heard anything back.

Where are you Tony?

Dave

I Have known Tony for many years on canal restoration, and boating for many years, he usualy only takes down the pompus types. He sold Dreamcatcher due to lack of mobility with his age, and cost of upkeep on a pension. He has bought a motor campervan, and returned to one of his origenal loves. folk clubs and singing. He is resideing in the Yorkshire area with Sofie as a constant companion.

Edited by Basyfart

I Have known Tony for many years on canal restoration, and boating for many years, he usualy only takes down the pompus types. He sold Dreamcatcher due to lack of mobility with his age, and cost of upkeep on a pension. He has bought a motor campervan, and returned to one of his origenal loves. folk clubs and singing. He is resideing in the Yorkshire area with Sofie as a constant companion.

Good on him. All the best tone.