Royal Navy NB

midsnick

Featured Posts

The Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm used to have a narrowboat called "Pussers Rum" on the K&A, but I believe they sold her some years ago.

She was renamed as 'Sundowner' and sold in 2009, owned by RNAS Yeovilton's welfare fund rather than the FAA, fond memories (not) I spent several unpleasant days in 1994 replacing the burst shit tank for the pump out. She was replaced by Warneford VC named after Sub Lt Warneford.

Ahh those were the days....Do we still have a navy ?

Tim

Nothing like the Navy we had for the Falklands.... but the subs are by all accounts excellent (when they're not aground) and the new anti-aircraft destroyers are top notch. Of course, anti aircraft destroyers are exactly what we needed for the Falklands, not Talibashing in Afghan. They are very kit for the war before last.

Don't get me started on the "Fitted for, but not with Aircraft" Carriers. They're a sick joke.

Edited by Morat

She was renamed as 'Sundowner' and sold in 2009, owned by RNAS Yeovilton's welfare fund rather than the FAA, fond memories (not) I spent several unpleasant days in 1994 replacing the burst shit tank for the pump out. She was replaced by Warneford VC named after Sub Lt Warneford.

Have seen 'Warneford VC' many times on the K&A in the last few years, fine she looks too.

The ones based at Calcutt (the Andrew and the other one) aren't that anonymous -- they say Portsmouth on the side!

There are 3 of them based at Calcutt, they operate the same as any other hire boat, and go out on Sundays, often when we are returning to the marina. They are basically standard Calcutt hire boats, painted red rather than the usual Calcutt colours.

Edited by john6767

Nothing like the Navy we had for the Falklands.... but the subs are by all accounts excellent (when they're not aground) and the new anti-aircraft destroyers are top notch. Of course, anti aircraft destroyers are exactly what we needed for the Falklands, not Talibashing in Afghan. They are very kit for the war before last.

Don't get me started on the "Fitted for, but not with Aircraft" Carriers. They're a sick joke.

Yes a big shame. We still had proper diesel subs when I was in. I spent some time on Osiris on a swop draft. I was on one of our many Leander class frigates during the Queens silver jubilee in 77 when she went past a very long line of our warships on the Royal yacht and we all gave her three cheers. They were proper jubilee celebrations. Still, youngsters have Facebook to look forward to now !! :rolleyes:

Crikey whatever went wrong. :wacko:

Tim

• Greenie 1

Crikey whatever went wrong. :wacko:

Tim

Where do you want to start?

1. Greed (and health, education, social responsibility etc) became more important than security, conflict got expensive.

2. Media expansion and 24/7 news coverage exposed the 'innocent' public to the real horrors of war, latent pacifism became more tasteful than overt aggression (or even active defence of legitimate interest)

3. We voted for slimy career politicians with little understanding of military strategy and force development.

4. We came to believe the hype that the good old US of A would police force the world for us.

5. We became convinced that the world was a safer. more civil place, despite millennia of evidence suggesting that is unlikely to be true in the long run.

etc etc etc

But I suspect history will just record that we became complacent, that's what it generally records when we've made the same mistake in recent history ( 1937 for example when it became obvious Germany were ramping up for something special and we'd all but demolished our military might and 1981 - lets Nott forget the moron who was in charge of defence then and believed the military, especially the RN were superfluous)

I seem to remember in the past seeing a boat owned by The RAF on The Oxford I think and going from memory (a very bad one) it was called "Sealand"

and its still around, i am sure it was moored on the Llangollen somewhere.

Named after RAF Sealand near Deeside

it has a bit of a local reputation for speeding and i mean really speeding there is a localy famous photo published in one of the waterways mags of it very much bow up stern down creating a bit of a wash :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Came across something unusual to my eye yesterday,

From Jim Shead

CLEOPATRA Built by ROYAL NAVY - Length 18.9 metres (62 feet ) - Beam 1.98 metres (6 feet 6 inches )

What would a NB such as this be used for by the Royal Navy?

Is this the answer:

http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/atv-today-17081972-new-royal-navy-publicity-campaign/MediaEntry/17866.html

Tim

"Would you like to come on board for a tot"

How very jolly . . .

It was more than Jolly Graham. We had the greatest Navy in the world as were all our armed forces. What is left of them is still the best but allas just not enough left anymore. Kids now all go to Uni and study " i.t " how mind numbingly boring. I had more adventure and learnt more in my few years in the RN than most people do in a lifetime, I kid you not :cheers:

Tim

• Greenie 1

It was more than Jolly Graham. We had the greatest Navy in the world as were all our armed forces. What is left of them is still the best but allas just not enough left anymore. Kids now all go to Uni and study " i.t " how mind numbingly boring. I had more adventure and learnt more in my few years in the RN than most people do in a lifetime, I kid you not :cheers:

Tim

Ditto Tim and a green blob.

Which Leander were you on?:smiley_offtopic:

Edit. And when?

Edited by Nightwatch

Tim

Well said! Couldn't agree more. :cheers:

I was stationed at yeovilton air station (HMS Heron)in 1958

• 1 year later...

Hello

Just trying do some research on some the boats I had the luck of cruising whilst in the sea cadets. My father was a very well respected lt cmdr of the sea cadets and always seemed to get his hands on the ex navy boats. The first one I remember was an ex lifeboat called Aguilla wren. He had that at scunthorpe units keadby boat station for a long time. I believe this boat went to Lincoln sea cadets but not 100% sure as I was very young then. I also remember again I was very young a boat called abinger. Now abinger was also moored at keadby and my uncle vic used to take cadets away on her to I think Ostend.

Then there was cleopatra. A lovely ex navy canal boat. I spent many a week away on her and loved every minute of it. We had cleopatra moored at Thorne sea cadets and it was there boat. I spent 9 amazing years at Thorne cadets and I believe it was 1996 when myself and some other cadets took cleopatra to Nottingham sea cadets where I believe she didn't get used and only got abused.. I remember seeng her moored there half sunk and in a awful state.

If anyone can give me any history or photos on any of the 3 I've talked about I would be very great full. Unfortunately my father passed away so he can't help with dates etc. I'd just love to no what these 3 great boats are now upto.

The RAF owns a few too, these are also welfare boats available for RAF personnel to hire at a considerably lower rate than the civvy hire companies. I hired one on the GU a few years ago in high summer and had a great week on a lovely boat!

• 2 weeks later...

There was one episode of Foyle's war where he was walking beside a lock and there was a narrowboat in the scene that, as I recall, was painted in military colors and crewed by soldiers or sailors. It was only in the scene for a few seconds and had nothing to do with the plot, they just passed by it. I doubt they painted the narrowboat just for that scene.

Wish I could remember what episode it was in...