Sat Nav

lemontoes

Featured Posts

Not strictly boating equipment but linked. My Mum and I are thinking of getting a sat nav for our shared car. I have accepted getting lost as a normal part of driving for long enough, and have already seen (and appreciated) a great number of scenic routes. I am not only driving to the next boaty banter, but picking someone up on route so am quite excited at the idea of having something taking responsibility for the map reading. Mum is often responsible for picking up and dropping off crew to wherever I am on the boat, a sat nav would make this easier. I no absolutely no idea how to choose, as there seems to be an awful lot of them out there.

Jan :help:

Not strictly boating equipment but linked. My Mum and I are thinking of getting a sat nav for our shared car. I have accepted getting lost as a normal part of driving for long enough, and have already seen (and appreciated) a great number of scenic routes. I am not only driving to the next boaty banter, but picking someone up on route so am quite excited at the idea of having something taking responsibility for the map reading. Mum is often responsible for picking up and dropping off crew to wherever I am on the boat, a sat nav would make this easier. I no absolutely no idea how to choose, as there seems to be an awful lot of them out there.

I've been very happy with a Tom Tom, and a mate of mine who changed from TT to another make (can't remember which now) was disappointed with his new one compared to his previous. So, on balance, my vote goes to TT.

Roger

Hi Jan, I love my satnav and wouldn't be without it now.

We have Tom Tom's and Garmins in the household, and both Richard and I prefer the Tom Tom as we think it's easier to use for navigation.

The Garmins seem to have a few more features, but for just getting to where you want to the Tom Tom is fine.

As you have noticed there are various models , I'd go for the larger screen if you can afford it. Otherwise they seem to vary according to if you want european or just uk maps, and if you want extra features such as hands free bluetooth for your phone.

Good luck with the search.

Sue

Hi Jan - I had a Navman S70

http://www.navman.com/en-gb/navman-s70.htm

for years and only recently sold it on eBay to buy a Garmin Nuvi like this (I needed Western Europe mapping - you may not)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-1340-UK-Western-Europe/dp/B0021L9BJC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339158097&sr=8-2

I needed updated maps and it was nearly as cheap to buy a new sat Nav as get updated maps for the old one.

On balance for ease of use I preferred the NavMan. The Garmin is a bit fussy about needing to enter a specific house number and street whereas the NavMan was quite happy to just 'go to centre of Postcode'.

The sound quality was better on the NavMan too - important if you are belting along a motorway with multiple exits coming up and you need to be sure which one to take. Unfortunately that particular NavMan model is no longer available and NavMan have completely overhauled the software and mapping so I don't know what the newer ones are like.

I think overall what I am saying is I'm not particularly impressed with the Garmin and I would look at other models if I was buying again.

i've got the Navigation App on my android phone, Vodaphone contract £2.50 a month on my plan well worth the money and it is real time so updates itself as you drive.

Hi,

Have just purchased a Garmin (free map updates for life) - have always navigated from maps in the past, but for our forthcoming tour of Scotland I invested in the Sat Nav.

I got the large screen, with Euro maps (needed for directions to Auchen, Calais for hooch trips).

Find it really useful - I bought a 'stick on' disc for attaching it to the dash, and don't leave it in the car.

Easier to programme than the one fitted in my mates 'Beamer'.

Upadating the maps for Europe takes about 4 hours.

Leo.

Cast your mind back to a cold January day when you were sitting next to me in my car and we were trying to pick up a third person from Burton upon Trent and then get down to Hatton for a banter - I was using the app on my mobile phone to find a back route to Eileens house which would have been fine except there was no signal!

Hi Jan

Until only a few weeks ago, I always relied on print-outs from the the AA route planner. Although they have their place, I don't feel they are particularly safe when travelling alone....too much temptation for quick glances to check on the next milestone! So I bought myself a Tom Tom Start 20 and used it for the first time last weekend (to Crick boat show as it happens) and was very pleased with it. I read several reviews before buying and, with the limited use, haven't been disappointed.

Hi,

Have just purchased a Garmin (free map updates for life) - have always navigated from maps in the past, but for our forthcoming tour of Scotland I invested in the Sat Nav.

I got the large screen, with Euro maps (needed for directions to Auchen, Calais for hooch trips).

Find it really useful - I bought a 'stick on' disc for attaching it to the dash, and don't leave it in the car.

Easier to programme than the one fitted in my mates 'Beamer'.

Upadating the maps for Europe takes about 4 hours.

Leo.

mine goes as far as Greece and Turkey doubt i will ever drive that far and for £30 a year is cheaper over 4 years than buying a sat nav that may get nicked (like my last 1!) out of car/van also i tend to put it in my pocket as soon as i arrive at destination having 2 devices to remember i'd prrobably forget to take it out (how i lost the old one!)

PS don't go to Auchen at Calais, Cherbourg or Coquelles instead head inland to the next town where the prices are nearly always cheaper (and the shop is not full of brits!! :cheers:)

I think that Tom Tom sounds like the best bet for us. Will probably go and look this afternoon.....Much as I loved the lanes around Burton-on-Trent!

The trick of course is to go to Halfords or the like get them to demonstrate them for you and then come home and order the one you like from Amazon :cheers:

I have a Garmin and it works very well for me.

I agree there is a bewildering array of choice. the reason I went for a Garmin product is that they offer some models with lifetime free system updates and map updates.

I also have found it useful to have one with a 5" screen and free traffic updates too.

I've used a number of different satnavs, and in the end learnt that the simpler they are, the better. All the bells and whistles some add on may look attractive, but I found I never actually needed them and they they just confused its main purpose to get from from A to B. Some were a nightmare with far too many options. Truth is the main value for any satnav is only the last mile, everthing else is easy enough without the satnav.

I reckon Halfords is your best starting point - lots of choices and often cheaper than the internet and you can actually see what you're buying.

Watch out for ones that include updates, or consider paying extra for lifetime updates, because what is accurate enough today, can drop you in the mire tomorrow with new roads, layout changes, one way systems etc.

I have paid up to £800 for some of the earlier models, but the best one I use out of choice is the cheapie Garmin Nuvi with lifetime updates (About £80 extra)

My vote would go to TomTom, I now use a TT Via Live 120 with Euromaps.

Seemed easy to set up and use out of the box.

I have some limited experience with Garmin but didn't find it as intuitive.

The size of the screen is important and makes a big difference, but you must remember to remove it from sight when you leave the car.

The 'live' service which I think is included for the first year is very helpful with advance traffic warnings.

I also have an older version, the TomTom 910 which you could hack and add music and silly voices to from your computer but the novelty wore off very quickly. Try Ossie Osborne's uncensored version when you have your 98 year old aunt in the car with you :)

I've used a number of different satnavs, and in the end learnt that the simpler they are, the better. All the bells and whistles some add on may look attractive, but I found I never actually needed them and they they just confused its main purpose to get from from A to B. Some were a nightmare with far too many options. Truth is the main value for any satnav is only the last mile, everthing else is easy enough without the satnav.

I find one of the most useful points about having one is that I know how far the next junction is on the motorway as I find the actual roads so featureless. Nothing worse than overtaking in the outside lane to find you should be in the left hand lane to leave.

I need directing around the uk only,I get very stressed dealing with multiple lane choices and stuff.Last trip to Brum was aaargh nightmare cos I use an A to Z and theres no info on what lane to be in. What can anybody recommend for uk only but with updates when some nut job plays blind mans shuffle with the junctions n stuff.I don't even need Ireland but I do need Manchester.

Boris [81] would give Ossie Osbourne a run for his money on the swearing if suitably provoked.

I had a Navman which lasted about 2 years and then died. Navman just said it was broke so I bought a Garmin. I am happy with it

I had a NavMan which lasted several years, it didn't break but I bought a Garmin. I'm not really happy with it.

• 1 month later...

DON'T BUY A TOMTOM!

I have just bought a TomTom Start 60 satnav and I am very, very, not happy.

How was I supposed to notice that the Itinerary feature that was on earlier models is no longer provided?

You can navigate from A to B but if you want to do a tour as I frequently do, the facility to input multiple destinations at the start no longer exists.

It is not just the absence of the facility that makes me cross but the difficulty we the punters have in working out what features are present or missing in new products in general.

Just bought a Garmin 50LM for my wife. Really quite impressed with it - 5" screen, clear instructions, good sound and free updates for life. Halfords were doing it cheaper than Amazon. Very helpful and knowledgeable salesperson too.

Much, much quicker than my Honda (built-in) satnav at calculating the route. Ohnly thing I am disappointed with is it doesn't have a headphone out socket so it can't be linked through the radio or the bike intercom.

DON'T BUY A TOMTOM!

I have just bought a TomTom Start 60 satnav and I am very, very, not happy.

How was I supposed to notice that the Itinerary feature that was on earlier models is no longer provided?

You can navigate from A to B but if you want to do a tour as I frequently do, the facility to input multiple destinations at the start no longer exists.

It is not just the absence of the facility that makes me cross but the difficulty we the punters have in working out what features are present or missing in new products in general.

The TomTom Start (clues in the name) 60 is basically a 'starter' sat nav and hence will have limited features to keep the cost down and to justify the cost of higher priced models with better features.

The features these devices offer are readily available on their web site or that of their retailers...... it just needs a bit of research.

Hardly justification for condemning TomTom devices per sae..